USC, LSU etc etc Head Coach Openings

jimbo

22 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup. He was born in Oxford, so he certainly might want to get back to the South. 

On the other hand, his baggage and those memories, still reside in the South. 

I could see a few things. I could see him settling in at Liberty, as they love and worship him there. If he doesn't mind VA, he won't live poorly lol... 

But I could see him wanting to return to the south (if he wants to get back home or has a chip on his shoulder). I could also see him taking a big job in another conference, like USC if he's got a big chip, and wants more money.

Personally, I'd stay at Liberty. It's a school that is is growing in sports, and doing very well in both FB and BB. Pretty incredible what they've done in a short time since jumping up from FCS. And I like seeing religious schools like BYU, SMU, Liberty, etc. do well. I'd like to see ND get all 3 on the schedule for some home and homes, or neutral field type games. 

There’s no way you turn down LSU or Florida for Liberty. 

1.  Freeze is a dbag to the nth degree…has been since he was a hs coach.

2.  He’s the exact sort of system coach that will shit the bed at a real school.

3.  He’s the type of Christian hypocrite that needs to show the world his Jesus on his sleeve.

I actually think he stays at Liberty.

2 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

There’s no way you turn down LSU or Florida for Liberty. 

All depends on what he wants, but more importantly perhaps, what his wife wants. After the hooker scandal, I'd bet his better half is in no hurry to leave a conservative/religious college and college town that has likely helped reshape HF and maybe their marriage.

Also, is it better to be a god-like coach in VA for long term making 4M, or go to the SECW and have to play Bama every year, perhaps only last 4 years making 6-8?

4 hours ago, irishwavend said:

1.  Freeze is a dbag to the nth degree…has been since he was a hs coach.

2.  He’s the exact sort of system coach that will shit the bed at a real school.

3.  He’s the type of Christian hypocrite that needs to show the world his Jesus on his sleeve.

I actually think he stays at Liberty.

Couldn't agree more.

2 hours ago, Big23Head said:

Matt Campbell has buzz to USC and Washington. Sounds like offers at the least. Aranda is the other main guy for USC supposedly 

I think Matt Campbell needs to strike while the iron is still hot, so to speak. Iowa St hasn't had a great season. If next season is more of the same results, his star might be diminished somewhat.

5 hours ago, jimbo said:

I think Matt Campbell needs to strike while the iron is still hot, so to speak. Iowa St hasn't had a great season. If next season is more of the same results, his star might be diminished somewhat.

Exactly. These ‘up-and-coming’ mid-level coaches should take advantage of the current climate. The money and opportunity are huge. Heck, even SMU’s Dykes is about to score big at TCU. 
One or two down years at a mid-tier school takes the luster off. 
It will be interesting to watch how schools like Iowa State, Baylor, SMU, and Cincinnati replace their coaches once they’re lured away. 

6 hours ago, jimbo said:

Campbell is making millions so he is probably set for life even if he stays at Iowa State. I saw somewhere that he (similar to Fickle) seems to be waiting for Ohio State or ND to open up.

9 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

All depends on what he wants, but more importantly perhaps, what his wife wants. After the hooker scandal, I'd bet his better half is in no hurry to leave a conservative/religious college and college town that has likely helped reshape HF and maybe their marriage.

Also, is it better to be a god-like coach in VA for long term making 4M, or go to the SECW and have to play Bama every year, perhaps only last 4 years making 6-8?

There’s only 3 coaches who have beaten Saban multiple times: Dabo, Mahlzhan, and Freeze. 

Plus at Liberty, you’re never going to get to truly compete at the highest level. If he were in Aranda’s situation at Baylor, I could maybe see it. However, I can’t imagine a talented coach like Freeze spending the rest of his career with the ceiling he has at Liberty.

54 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

There’s only 3 coaches who have beaten Saban multiple times: Dabo, Mahlzhan, and Freeze. 

Plus at Liberty, you’re never going to get to truly compete at the highest level. If he were in Aranda’s situation at Baylor, I could maybe see it. However, I can’t imagine a talented coach like Freeze spending the rest of his career with the ceiling he has at Liberty.

Freeze is making the same as Aranda now.

Don't forget, OM had paid players on the roster when they beat Bama lol...

If I'm Freeze, I'd rather know I have a 80+% chance of coaching for 10 or more years at Liberty, making likely 60+ M when all is said and done, have a happy wife, happy life, and be treated like god in VA.....

or... 

Roll the dice on new 5 year 30M job at LSU or similar, that I might get fired from only 2-3 years after winning a Natty (like Ed O.. while listening to hooker chants at every SEC game while my wife is in the stands.. 

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Campbell is making millions so he is probably set for life even if he stays at Iowa State. I saw somewhere that he (similar to Fickle) seems to be waiting for Ohio State or ND to open up.

Reports coming from several places that Campbell is leaving ISU. We will see if it’s a smoke screen or not soon. 

Edited by Big23Head
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, OKelleyIrish said:

Freeze is making the same as Aranda now.

Don't forget, OM had paid players on the roster when they beat Bama lol...

If I'm Freeze, I'd rather know I have a 80+% chance of coaching for 10 or more years at Liberty, making likely 60+ M when all is said and done, have a happy wife, happy life, and be treated like god in VA.....

or... 

Roll the dice on new 5 year 30M job at LSU or similar, that I might get fired from only 2-3 years after winning a Natty (like Ed O.. while listening to hooker chants at every SEC game while my wife is in the stands.. 

And now you can find legal ways to pay players. To me, this is a no brainer. You’ll never be competing for the playoff at Liberty, so you’re just going to waste your entire career by staying there.

Edited by ELDER06

4 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

And now you can find legal ways to pay players. To me, this is a no brainer. You’ll never be competing for the playoff at Liberty, so you’re just going to waste your entire career by staying there.

Waste? lol... 

50+ M.... Happy wife... Treated like a god in VA... 

Meanwhile, Ed O got fired after winning the 2018 NC.

Gonna go out on a limb and say Ed O is happy he got an NC, but Freeze is a lot happier at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Waste? lol... 

Gonna go out on a limb and say Ed O is happy he got an NC, but Freeze is a lot happier at the moment.

Not everyone wants the pressure cooker of a LSU, Florida etc. I could see why some guys would say no, stay where they are appreciated and still rake in the millions. Chris Petersen comes to mind. With LSU firing Ed O a scant 2 seasons after winning the NC, the shaft TCU gave to Gary Patterson and now Florida giving the axe to Dam Mullen during 1 bad season (29 and 9 previous 3 years), some guys might be having second thoughts about taking on those high pressure gigs. Talk about short leashes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo said:

Not everyone wants the pressure cooker of a LSU, Florida etc. I could see why some guys would say no, stay where they are appreciated and still rake in the millions. Chris Petersen comes to mind. With LSU firing Ed O a scant 2 seasons after winning the NC, the shaft TCU gave to Gary Patterson and now Florida giving the axe to Dam Mullen during 1 bad season (29 and 9 previous 3 years), some guys might be having second thoughts about taking on those high pressure gigs. Talk about short leashes.

Yup. The big programs have little patience and short term memories. 

21 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Waste? lol... 

Yes, waste. It’s a waste of your coaching talent if you’re not a place that can even compete for a playoff.

5 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I wonder if any of the big schools would take a Dion Sanders.  I know he’s pretty inexperienced but man does he get a lot of tv love.  All over Aflac commercials with Saban. 

All style, zero substance. I’m sure he would be lights out in recruiting but that’s only part of being an elite HC.

5 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Yes, waste. It’s a waste of your coaching talent if you’re not a place that can even compete for a playoff.

Lots of great coaches over the years in places that would never be serious contenders for a NC.

Some folks have different priorities. And certainly their impacts on the kids, the game, an the schools, were not a waste. 

13 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Lots of great coaches over the years in places that would never be serious contenders for a NC.

Some folks have different priorities. And certainly their impacts on the kids, the game, an the schools, were not a waste. 

That sounds corny. This isn’t an after school special, it’s college football.