Kudos to Kelly

Coach Kelly has done a really good job over the years.  I have wondered if Kelly had been satisfied with just being a good team and not pushing harder to be great.  By great, I mean OSU and Ala.  Seems like over the last couple years Kelly might be making that push.  I still think he needs to hold members of his staff more accountable for less than great player development and recruiting. He has had a more sustained success in his career than Holtz but the championship is what makes you legendary.  

• Like 1

The last several years have been the best and most fun to watch Notre Dame football in my lifetime..   im 40..      while we won it all in 88..  I was far to young to understand anything about how it all works with recruiting and coaching etc...etc..      I was however, plenty mindful, by the time Bob Davie was let go followed by an aweful Willingham who was then followed by a money pit in Weis.  None of these coaches provided consistent stability. As fans we see and feel that inconsistency as do recruits and their families. In my opinion..  .. after a learning curve, Brian Kelly has went from radish red screaming face to a sense of calm resting calm face haha..   seriously..  there is now an expected level of stability accompanied by winning.    That hadn't happened since 1996. So those who want to gripe about the current state of the program are either far to young or are those who would complain if their ice cream was cold ..    GO IRISH !!!! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Irish-scoop said:

The last several years have been the best and most fun to watch Notre Dame football in my lifetime..   im 40..      while we won it all in 88..  I was far to young to understand anything about how it all works with recruiting and coaching etc...etc..      I was however, plenty mindful, by the time Bob Davie was let go followed by an aweful Willingham who was then followed by a money pit in Weis.  None of these coaches provided consistent stability. As fans we see and feel that inconsistency as do recruits and their families. In my opinion..  .. after a learning curve, Brian Kelly has went from radish red screaming face to a sense of calm resting calm face haha..   seriously..  there is now an expected level of stability accompanied by winning.    That hadn't happened since 1996. So those who want to gripe about the current state of the program are either far to young or are those who would complain if their ice cream was cold ..    GO IRISH !!!! 

Disagree with your last statement. There are legitimate gripes to be had. I am not too young nor do I complain irrationally. I have posted numerous items that are legitimate reasons to be disappointed with the expectations of this football team. They used to be committed to championships. That is not happening. Just because you only remember the Davie through Weiss years only tells me you don’t know the history of ND football and weren’t raised by multi generations of ND grads and fans. See I can make pointless assumptions also. Peace

Edited by ndfanatic78

I would agree with you ...there are gripes and whatnot we could have about every regime..  im only talking about the stability as of late the program has had ..  20+ years of near awfulness..   compared to how it feels literally right now..  there is a giant difference in feel of where the program is vs where its been..   

1 hour ago, Irish-scoop said:

I would agree with you ...there are gripes and whatnot we could have about every regime..  im only talking about the stability as of late the program has had ..  20+ years of near awfulness..   compared to how it feels literally right now..  there is a giant difference in feel of where the program is vs where its been..   

I think that is fair. I have never been a big fan of Kelly for the aforementioned gripes mostly, but he has brought stability to the program and winning double digits is nice. I think the pain of losing to the likes of Navy and Tulsa is a big part of the sting but that has largely stopped, knock on wood. 7-3 against USC after a long dry spell feels good too, even if that is as much that they are bad as we are good.

I would not like to see Kelly go at this point. Watching the Ole Miss game last night and seeing them jumping for joy for having the first 10 win season in program history was pretty eye-opening. 

• Like 2

If the departure was done better, Kelly gets a statue probably.  He may still get one, but only a long time from now when feelings have calmed.

Here’s my question— if the team gets in the playoffs and wins it all…. They were coached by Kelly through the regular season…. Does he get a statue?  Does Freeman, who would have been a coach for a month?  Both?  Neither?  Balis?

2 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

If the departure was done better, Kelly gets a statue probably.  He may still get one, but only a long time from now when feelings have calmed.

Here’s my question— if the team gets in the playoffs and wins it all…. They were coached by Kelly through the regular season…. Does he get a statue?  Does Freeman, who would have been a coach for a month?  Both?  Neither?  Balis?

Kelly no. Freeman depending on how the rest of his career goes. I am pretty sure that he will get credit for any wins or losses in 2021 post-season.

3 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

I think if that happens they should get a statue of all the coaches. Like “ Band of Brothers.”

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

Freeman and possibly Balis. No way Kelly ever gets a statue. No Natty no statue. I don't see that ever changing.

Balis was a just me joking, though I do believe he deserves one more than Kelly if they win a championship.

Edited by ndfanatic78