Next Year - Who comes back, depth chart?

SDIrishFan

2 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Typically the heavier guy is for run downs, the lighter guys for pass downs and maybe one has a skill like blitzing but i need to watch about 3 games and only watch that linebacker to tell you with certainty 

I agree in general with the weight logic, but ..... We really haven't followed the weight thing here. Bo and Drew have handled the inside, and both are about the same weight. I expect a beefier guy in the middle most downs anyway. Bertrand who might be the heaviest is getting the most snaps of any LB IIRC, and he's at WILL in both running and passing downs. Only Kiser really follows the logic, but he's the lightest, playing run downs, and comes off often when we bring in a nickel. 

As far as the new guys are concerned, I can see Sneed and early Rover depth guy. He could stick there, but could fill out and end up at WILL. Niuafe is the only guys I peg to one position to stay, and that would be MIKE. All the others could flex to other positions in different downs. 

9 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I agree in general with the weight logic, but ..... We really haven't followed the weight thing here. Bo and Drew have handled the inside, and both are about the same weight. I expect a beefier guy in the middle most downs anyway. Bertrand who might be the heaviest is getting the most snaps of any LB IIRC, and he's at WILL in both running and passing downs. Only Kiser really follows the logic, but he's the lightest, playing run downs, and comes off often when we bring in a nickel. 

As far as the new guys are concerned, I can see Sneed and early Rover depth guy. He could stick there, but could fill out and end up at WILL. Niuafe is the only guys I peg to one position to stay, and that would be MIKE. All the others could flex to other positions in different downs. 

Yeah being year 1, its probably its the healthiest and best player in right now regardless of profile to me we use film from year 1 and the roster from year 2 in spring to figure it out. Marist would be playing. Simon would be at least rotating. It would help if some of the freshman came in early, I'll need to consult with @Big23Head about who is coming in early if he doesn't mind, love that dude. 

Remember also during bowl prep Kelly typically lets the Coordinators talk again so we'll hear from Freeman then at least.

Thanks guys, I can see a great collaboration coming. Great thread @SDIrishFan

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Yeah being year 1, its probably its the healthiest and best player in right now regardless of profile to me we use film from year 1 and the roster from year 2 in spring to figure it out. Marist would be playing. Simon would be at least rotating. It would help if some of the freshman came in early, I'll need to consult with @Big23Head about who is coming in early if he doesn't mind, love that dude. 

Remember also during bowl prep Kelly typically lets the Coordinators talk again so we'll hear from Freeman then at least.

Thanks guys, I can see a great collaboration coming. Great thread @SDIrishFan

My hope is that the early entries are heavy on the LBs and WRs.

Not worried about the OL or TE guys. We need some help at DB IMO, but I don't see any of our 2022 guys being early contributors. 

Hoping we hit the portal hard for DB prospects. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

My hope is that the early entries are heavy on the LBs and WRs.

Not worried about the OL or TE guys. We need some help at DB IMO, but I don't see any of our 2022 guys being early contributors. 

Hoping we hit the portal hard for DB prospects. 

I think of the four current DB commits, at least one of them will get snaps next year in the defense. 

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d revisit this as clarity seems to be coming on things.

Depth Chart

QB - Buchner, Pyne, Angelli 

RB - Tyree, Diggs, Estime

Wr -  Colzie, Merriweather

Wr - Davis, Lenzy

Wr - Styles, Wilkins

TE - Mayer, Baumen

LT - Fisher

LG - Kristofic

C - patterson

RG - Spindler

RT - Alt

Vyp - Bottello

DT - Mills

NG - Cross, Lacey

DE - Adimaloa, Osafo- mensah

MB - Kollie, Bertrand?

WB - Liufau, Bauer

RV - Sneed? (Think he’ll be too good to sit), Pryor

CB - Hart, Barnes

SS - Watts, Brown

FS - Henderson, Griffith

CB - Lewis

we are super thin on the outside, offense and defense. If we can stay healthy (way better than this year) and Buchner can be Tebow Jr., we can win 10+ I think.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

Good list! I think a lot of the positions are wide open. 

OL - expect a FR to come in an challenge.  Also, I know we were all happy with Alt coming in, but needs to get stronger.  Run Blocking needs work,. 

LB - FR will probably challenge on two positions

CB - CLew may be #1, but I think there's alot of competition.  

S - Henderson may be #1, but hope there's more there.

I think we’ll see some of Rubio in the d line rotation, possibly a few others. 

I also remember Justin Walters making quite an impression in the spring and summer. He’s a name to keep an eye out for at the safety opposite Henderson. 

I’ve been very critical of Lewis since 2020, he just doesn’t have the speed for this level of football and he never will. It would help if he was a technician but he isn’t. 

Boundary corner-Hart

Field corner- battle between Riley, Barnes, Mickey and Morrison. This is going to be interesting. If Lewis starts, that is on coaching as all of these players have much more ability. 

nickel- Bracy? Does he have another year? 

1 hour ago, ndomer4 said:

I’ve been very critical of Lewis since 2020, he just doesn’t have the speed for this level of football and he never will. It would help if he was a technician but he isn’t. 

nickel- Bracy? Does he have another year? 

This stood out to me too this last year, not as much his freshmen year. But there were times this year that I noticed he was slow and it resulted in a big play. 

9 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

This stood out to me too this last year, not as much his freshmen year. But there were times this year that I noticed he was slow and it resulted in a big play. 

Lea was much more conservative on D and he told you what he thought about Lewis. Granted it was against Bama… but I swear he had Lewis 15 yards off the line at times. He played ten yards off most of 2020 if I remember correctly. 

Updated to reflect Joseph transfer and Foskey staying.

Depth Chart

Wr - Davis, Lenzy

Wr - Styles, Wilkins

TE - Mayer, Baumen

LT - Fisher

LG - Kristofic

C - patterson

RG - Spindler

RT - Alt

Vyp - Foskey, Ademilola

DT - Ademilola, Rubio

NG - Cross, Lacey

DE - Mills, Osafo-mensah

MB - Kollie, Bertrand?

WB - Liufau, Bauer

RV - Sneed? (Think he’ll be too good to sit), Watts? Bottello?

CB - Hart, Barnes

SS - Joseph, Watts, Brown

FS - Henderson, Griffith

CB - Lewis, Bracy

the DL has a ton of depth and experience. Can’t believe someone there won’t be squeezed out. We’ll have the ability for a line change again. No idea where Bottello fits?

NEED another CB. 

Would love to see Patterson back.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

Updated to reflect Joseph transfer and Foskey staying.

Depth Chart

Wr - Davis, Lenzy

Wr - Styles, Wilkins

TE - Mayer, Baumen

LT - Fisher

LG - Kristofic

C - patterson

RG - Spindler

RT - Alt

Vyp - Foskey, Ademilola

DT - Ademilola, Rubio

NG - Cross, Lacey

DE - Mills, Osafo-mensah

MB - Kollie, Bertrand?

WB - Liufau, Bauer

RV - Sneed? (Think he’ll be too good to sit), Watts? Bottello? Pryor? 

CB - Hart, Barnes

SS - Joseph, Brown

FS - Henderson, Griffith

CB - Lewis

the DL has a ton of depth and experience. Can’t believe someone there won’t be squeezed out. We’ll have the ability for a line change again. No idea where Bottello fits?

NEED another CB. 

Would love to see Patterson back.

I think you’re forgetting Lugg. He’ll be starting at right guard imo. 

Yes corner is thin but I can’t think who they are high on Hart. Also, I believe Jayden Thomas they are high on at wide receiver. J