Kelly needs to step down

BK has the all time wins record and has more money than God. He has taken the Irish as far as he can. Notre Dame needs new blood with fresh ideas. After this season I pray he rides off into the sunset and enjoys his retirement. 

I don’t even know who would be on the list. ND is a tough place to win in this day and age and as the above poster mentioned, Saban or Meyer ain’t coming. 

IMO he should have stepped down years ago, no way he should have passed Rockne without a title to his name. 

• Like 1

I am not a fan of BK (never have been) but what has happened at Tennessee and FSU has given me pause on jumping the gun.  I do not trust Swarbrick with making that type of decision.  We're stuck in purgatory and it sucks. We have made the playoff, but been utterly dominated every game. 

BK is a good coach. But he is winning against a historical weak ND schedule. He has been lucky USC is down and Stanford has begun fledging. 

3 minutes ago, cali_domer said:

I am not a fan of BK (never have been) but what has happened at Tennessee and FSU has given me pause on jumping the gun.  I do not trust Swarbrick with making that type of decision.  We're stuck in purgatory and it sucks. We have made the playoff, but been utterly dominated every game. 

BK is a good coach. But he is winning against a historical weak ND schedule. He has been lucky USC is down and Stanford has begun fledging. 

Agree. 100%

Both schools hate ND. If Brian Kelly loses the focus of the team I see either or both of them beating the brakes off ND this year. 

Edited by JTennant

The fact that we are in year 12 of his tenure and still struggling to develop QBs and WRs is ridiculous.  Until we start developing some first round draft picks at those two positions, it’s going to be basically impossible to elevate the program.  

It does seem time for a new era.  We are able to field a pretty good defense every year.  The inability to do the same on offense is an utter failure of this program and starts with Kelly.

BK's record since that disastrous 2016 season is 47 - 9, an 84% winning percentage. That just so happens to be a better winning percentage than Urban Meyer had at Florida, 81%. Seriously, who are we going to get that will improve upon that 84%?

52 minutes ago, jimbo said:

BK's record since that disastrous 2016 season is 47 - 9, an 84% winning percentage. That just so happens to be a better winning percentage than Urban Meyer had at Florida, 81%. Seriously, who are we going to get that will improve upon that 84%?

How many Top 10 teams (at the end of the season) has Brian "Big Game" Kelly beaten? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Even though true, Kelly has been helped by a historically bad USC and our affiliation with the ACC, which besides Clemson is an awful football conference. 

If we were  aligned with the B1G we’d have routine 9-3/ 8-4/7-5 seasons, with the occasional outlier season and we’d be a 4th place SEC team. Kelly is simply not enough of a motivator and game planner to go back to back with Wisconsin and then a white out at Penn State to win both. He’d never beat Ohio State. He’s feasting on cupcakes, and here in his 11th year he’s barely beating them.

Notre Dame has been saavy protecting the myth of excellence, but as we’ve seen time and time again when we face very good to elite teams our team’s competitiveness is far below our statistical record. 

As Lou Holtz would say, we’re living a live 

Edited by Frankus
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

I don’t even know who would be on the list. ND is a tough place to win in this day and age and as the above poster mentioned, Saban or Meyer ain’t coming. 

IMO he should have stepped down years ago, no way he should have passed Rockne without a title to his name

“In this day and age, who the F wants the job”

Tony S.

Edited by zemaniak

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, irish_sker said:

Coach O out at LSU at the end of the season. Rumors are BK is their top target. 

And when they get blown out by Bama and lose to Georgia every other year. Will the alSU faithful still be happy?

Kelly isnt going anywhere....after his fantasy flirtation with the NFL gave way a half dozen years ago.....hes a happy and contented camper. He clearly isnt going to another school....i think he built some real success and won the program back respect it frankly lost big time before his hiring,  You can tell from his interviews  hes proud of both what hes accomplished here and his own personal evolution as a coach.    It wasnt that long ago Kelly was an hysterical red faced screamer trying to get ND out of the abyss of the  davie/willingham/ weis epoch.  He learned,,,he changed,,,ND is back among the contenders......NO TITLE...and that irks him.......but he will stay as long as he enjoys it and the program continues to win,   Im sure hes hoping to get that title before he quits.......its unlikely but possible......things could be and have been   much much worse,,,,,then coming up a little short against the bamas and clemsons.!

aloha

Edited by hawaiiirish
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, hawaiiirish said:

Kelly isnt going anywhere....after his fantasy flirtation with the NFL gave way a half dozen years ago.....hes a happy and contented camper. He clearly isnt going to another school....i think he built some real success and won the program back respect it frankly lost big time before his hiring,  You can tell from his interviews  hes proud of both what hes accomplished here and his own personal evolution as a coach.    It wasnt that long ago Kelly was an hysterical red faced screamer trying to get ND out of the abyss of the  davie/willingham/ weis epoch.  He learned,,,he changed,,,ND is back among the contenders......NO TITLE...and that irks him.......but he will stay as long as he enjoys it and the program continues to win,   Im sure hes hoping to get that title before he quits.......its unlikely but possible......things could be and have been   much much worse,,,,,then coming up a little short against the bamas and clemsons.!

aloha

BK 3.0

33 minutes ago, coltssb said:

And when they get blown out by Bama and lose to Georgia every other year. Will the alSU faithful still be happy?

This is a discussion board, correct? I don't care if BK stays or goes at this point. I do think he has taken this team as far as he can. In my humble opinion he is his own worst enemy and that will follow him wherever he goes.

3 hours ago, hawaiiirish said:

aloha

I would never say never and you're right it could be worse, which is the only  reason i don't join the fire BK now chants. Regardless of what he has done for the program the results on the field are in. You can polish a turd all day long but at the end of the day its still a turd.

Edited by irish_sker
  • Like 1