Why So Many Tickets?

AnTostal

ND saw it’s home sellout streak end for the Navy game in 2019 after 273 games. 
It used to be hard to get tickets to home games. 
It’s not hard at all this year. Heck, plenty of tickets are still available for the Cincinnati, USC, and UNC games ( UND.Com ).  
Why is that?  Is it COVID?  Ticket prices?

Edited by AnTostal
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

It’s not hard at all this year. Heck, plenty of tickets are still available for the Cincinnati, USC, and UNC games ( UND.Com ).  

I come from a very large family (both sides), large circle of friends. Most all are huge Irish fans. I've heard all kinds of things the last 5 years. I don't live in IN anymore, so my exposure is not what it used to be, but still have family that has season tix, and family that attends ND. Complaints range from ticket prices getting outrageous, non alum donor requirement is now like 1500+, parent lotto stinks, stupid stuff like Peacock, the Catholic university being not so Catholic anymore, no-fun sections, Covid, woke-ism, getting blown out on the big stage, etc. etc.. All over the place, but most I know seem to have a declining attitude. 

19 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I come from a very large family (both sides), large circle of friends. Most all are huge Irish fans. I've heard all kinds of things the last 5 years. I don't live in IN anymore, so my exposure is not what it used to be, but still have family that has season tix, and family that attends ND. Complaints range from ticket prices getting outrageous, non alum donor requirement is now like 1500+, parent lotto stinks, stupid stuff like Peacock, the Catholic university being not so Catholic anymore, no-fun sections, Covid, woke-ism, getting blown out on the big stage, etc. etc.. All over the place, but most I know seem to have a declining attitude. 

Yes, all those issues are the reasons why. It's on Father Jenkins to right the ship on these issues.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jersey Irish said:

Yes, all those issues are the reasons why. It's on Father Jenkins to right the ship on these issues.

Unfortunately, many view him as part of the problem. I've got mixed emotion on the topic. I thought the call for his resignation was super-dumb over the Covid stuff, but he has made a number of decision (or the school has under his watch) that have rubbed Catholics the wrong way (over issues of faith), and the football stuff is fairly obvious to rub a lot of others the wrong way.

Purely my opinion, but the university needs to get back to being Catholic, and not apologizing for it. I'm a non-practicing Catholic, so not super religious myself, but I see a lot of their actions as weak and hypocritical given what they say they stand for. 

In short, they're steadily losing support from their most important base. Growing up in an ethnic Catholic neighborhood, with several other Catholic parishes surrounding us, you could literally walk down any street (my parish or any of the others), and hear ND on the radio or TV. If you were Catholic, you were born a ND fan lol... Today, not so much. 

Some studies of interest that really hit home, is one that talked about kids today aren't near as willing to sit down and watch a game (regardless of what school they liked). The viewership by age is very troubling the younger the group. So making Catholics, or older viewers in general, unhappy, is just not very smart when you know the younger getting less likely to view games. And dissing the local in-state or South Bend local non-alum fans, is just idiocy. 

Imo it’s one reason and one reason alone. Ticket prices!  Why pay a stupid amount for a ticket when you can stay home with family and friends, have a few drinks during the game, and watch it on a 70 inch tv in a full home theater.  It’s not just nd facing this problem. All sports venues with stupid ticket prices have an issue with this.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, AnTostal said:

Interesting the Cincinnati game was announced as a sellout a month ago by the school. I been at their two home games so far. Toledo game had only 62k in the stands and you could see gaps of empty seats. But the Purdue game in general the stadium looked full. Of course I could see some empty seats here or there. I will say the crowd make up was much different. I did not see as many older fans in the seats so I assume COVID is having an impact.

5 hours ago, ND_JACK said:

Interesting the Cincinnati game was announced as a sellout a month ago by the school. I been at their two home games so far. Toledo game had only 62k in the stands and you could see gaps of empty seats. But the Purdue game in general the stadium looked full. Of course I could see some empty seats here or there. I will say the crowd make up was much different. I did not see as many older fans in the seats so I assume COVID is having an impact.

Definitely not yet a sellout. Buy your tickets to the game on the UND website:  und.com

I remember the last game I went to was before my daughter was born about, 4 years ago. I had to be online as tickets went on sale, and I still couldn’t get USC, or the other marquee games . I have only been to a 2 games because of prices and availability. 

on a side note, I am thinking of going to a game. Where is a good place to party /taIlgate?

21 minutes ago, vangordersmustache said:

I remember the last game I went to was before my daughter was born about, 4 years ago. I had to be online as tickets went on sale, and I still couldn’t get USC, or the other marquee games . I have only been to a 2 games because of prices and availability. 

on a side note, I am thinking of going to a game. Where is a good place to party /taIlgate?

I always either travel with a large crew and we set up a pretty good tailgate with TVs, grills, and generators..... or if it's not many of us and we can't find a decent parking pass to buy, we buy some of those cheap Coleman backpack coolers, load em up, and tailgate hop. We always know a few different groups of tailgaters.

And if you don't feel like doing your own, or hopping around, or if the weather sucks, plenty of pubs around. The ones closest to the stadium are normally too full, so it's easier to do one farther out and uber. Depends on how early you go too.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Backpack-Leak-Proof-Tailgating-Activities/dp/B00J0S019S/ref=asc_df_B00J0S019S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126940649&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4528121280585099058&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010765&hvtargid=pla-309169594921&psc=1

Edited by OKelleyIrish

1 hour ago, vangordersmustache said:

Awesome, thanks. 

Just spoke to my cousin who is going. He's got premo parking, but was looking for another parking pass for some friends. He said White Field is going for 70ish (secondary market) if you want to prepay. Near stadium lots are gonna run 500+.

He said he might tell his friends to park off campus at or around one of the pubs, and just uber to their spot.