Jump to content

Week 3 CFB 2021: What to Watch (and chat)


OKelleyIrish
 Share

Recommended Posts

What non-ND games are you interested in this week?

Some interesting ones, and a few fun games with future ND opponents. 

My personal favorites, Bama/FL, Cinci/IU, and Stanford/Clark Lea Vandy

Will definitely have a few TVs running

 

Just a thread to....

  • Highlight ND Opponent games in case you want to get a preview of what we'll see in the weeks to com (like Wiscy and Cinci coming up)
  • Call out some of the better, or interesting, games this week (like OSU vs OR, the Holy War, and USC vs Stanford)
  • Please do NOT post about the ND game in this thread (use the ND game day thread or chat for that)
  • Please DO post about ND opponent's games, or any of the other games this week (catch all)
  • I've color coded some things for the lazy 🙂 
    • Bolded Green - Obviously the most important game of the week
    • Bolded Red - Top 5 Game of the week, or best in the time period (noon/early, 3:30pm/mid, 6:00pm+/late)
    • Bolded Purple - A game that includes a ND opponent this year
  • Let me know if you like these, and I'll try to do one each week

 

  • Thursday, September 16
    • Ohio at Louisiana  8:00pm  ESPN
      • UL-20
  • Friday, September 17
    • UCF at Louisville  7:30pm  ESPN
      • UCF-7.0    
      • Neither ranked, but not a bad Friday night game
    • Maryland at Illinois  9:00pm  FS1
      • MD-7.5    
  • Saturday, September 18
    • Early
      • 8 Cincinnati at Indiana  12:00pm ESPN    
        • Cinci-3
        • Our  opponent in 3 weeks, and cheering for IU
      • 15 Virginia Tech at West Virginia  12:00pm  FS1
        • WV-3
        • Our opponent in 4 weeks    
      • Boston College at Temple  12:00pm  ESPNU
        • 5 Star Phil likely out for season. 
      • Tennessee Tech at Tennessee  12:00pm  ESPN+/SECN+
        • NL    
        • Tough loss to a good Pitt team last week
      • NIU at 25 Michigan  12:00pm  BTN
        • UM-27
        • scUM back in the top 25
      • 16 Coastal Carolina at Buffalo   12:00pm  ESPN2
        • CCU-13.5
        • Good small school matchup. Buffalo is not a bad team so the line is curious    
      • Michigan State at 24 Miami (FL)  12:00pm  ABC
        • UM-6.5
      • Nebraska at 3 Oklahoma  12:00pm  FOX
        • OU-22    
      • New Mexico at 7 Texas A&M  12:00pm  SECN    
        • TAMU-28
    • Mid Afternoon
      • Purdue at 12 Notre Dame  2:30pm  NBC    
        • ND-7
        • GO IRISH
      • 1 Alabama at 11 Florida  3:30pm  CBS    
        • Bama-15.5
        • Bama will likely roll, but we all will cheer for the Gators
      • Florida State at Wake Forest  3:30pm  ESPN
        • WF-5.5    
        • How does FSU respond?
      • Georgia Tech at 6 Clemson  3:30pm  ABC
        • Clem-28.5
      • USC at Washington State  3:30pm  FOX
        • USC-8.5
        • Will losing Helton spark this team?
      • Kent State at 5 Iowa  3:30pm  BTN
        • Iowa-22.5    
      • Tulsa at 9 Ohio State  3:30pm  FS1    
        • OSU-26.5
      • Mississippi State at Memphis  4:00pm  ESPN2    
        • MSST-3.0
        • Should be a fun game. And always enjoy the Pirate
      • Georgia Southern at 20 Arkansas  4:00pm  SECN
        • ARK-23.5    
      • Ball State at Wyoming  4:00pm  Stadium
        • WY-3.0
        • Good game for BSU fans
      • Colorado State at Toledo  4:00pm  ESPNU
        • TO-14.0
    • Evening        
      • South Carolina at 2 Georgia  7:00pm  ESPN    
        • UGA-31.0
        • You have to like the SC QB story
      • 22 Auburn at 10 Penn State  7:30pm  ABC
        • PSU-6
        • Hard to cheer for either team, but WAR DAMN EAGLE
      • Virginia at 21 North Carolina  7:30pm  ACCN
        • UNC-9    
        • Surprised the line is this big
      • Stony Brook at 4 Oregon  7:30pm  P12N
        • NL        
      • Stanford at Vanderbilt  8:00pm  ESPNU
        • STAN-11.0
        • Clark Lea vs Stanford.
        • Take the points and bet Vandy
      • Tulane at 17 Ole Miss  8:00pm  ESPN2    
        • MISS-14
    • Late
      • 19 Arizona State at 23 BYU  10:15pm  ESPN
        • ASU-3.5
        • Not sure how ASU is ranked, or why they are favorites. But go Crazy Herms
      • 14 Iowa State at UNLV  10:30pm  CBSSN
        • ISU-30
      • Fresno State at 13 UCLA  10:45pm  P12N    
        • UCLA-11.5
        • Should be a fun one to end the night with
        • Will Chip's team sheet the bed after climbing the polls? FS is decent
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Trophy (+1) 1
  • Leprechaun (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I plan on watching this week besides the Notre Dame game:

8 Cincinnati v Indiana - I do root for IU as long as they dont play ND. IU was supposed to be a good team this year, but they looked terrible against Iowa.

Michigan St v 24 Miami - Miami barely won last week, should be a competitive game, wouldnt mind seeing Michigan St upset them.

1 Alabama v 14 Florida - Rooting for the upset all the way here!!!

USC v Washington St - Ill watch this one if the Bama game is a blowout. Should be a competitive game, dont care who wins though.

22 Auburn v 10 Penn State - Ill root against the SEC here.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

What I plan on watching this week besides the Notre Dame game

22 Auburn v 10 Penn State - Ill root against the SEC here.

Is it possible to root for both teams to lose? I will never root for that cult in central PA that worships paterno like a god. Want to start an absolute war? Walk anywhere out there and say paterno screwed up during the Sandusky saga and you will have to fight your way out of that sh!thole of an area.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

What I plan on watching this week besides the Notre Dame game:

8 Cincinnati v Indiana - I do root for IU as long as they dont play ND. IU was supposed to be a good team this year, but they looked terrible against Iowa.

Michigan St v 24 Miami - Miami barely won last week, should be a competitive game, wouldnt mind seeing Michigan St upset them.

1 Alabama v 14 Florida - Rooting for the upset all the way here!!!

USC v Washington St - Ill watch this one if the Bama game is a blowout. Should be a competitive game, dont care who wins though.

22 Auburn v 10 Penn State - Ill root against the SEC here.

 

No interest in Stanford/Vandy.... I'd love to see Clark put one on Stanford. 

Hard to root for Auburn or PSU... but for ND, probably best that PSU lose. 

I think MSU might put up a ton of rushing yards vs Miami. 

Hoping USC takes one in the teeth. Every loss helps with Cali recruiting lol... 

Go IU!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

No interest in Stanford/Vandy.... I'd love to see Clark put one on Stanford. 

Hard to root for Auburn or PSU... but for ND, probably best that PSU lose.

I may, just depends on how the other games are doing and Im sure Ill be checking the score, if it is a close game, Ill switch it. Not sure who to root for since I live in Vandy territory and both are great academic schools. I may want Stanford to keep winning simply to make us look better when we beat them. 🙂

Maybe... but that will just vault Auburn over us because they are SEC. I'm sure Penn State will lose a random one in a the B1G.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

I may, just depends on how the other games are doing and Im sure Ill be checking the score, if it is a close game, Ill switch it. Not sure who to root for since I live in Vandy territory and both are great academic schools. I may want Stanford to keep winning simply to make us look better when we beat them. 🙂

Maybe... but that will just vault Auburn over us because they are SEC. I'm sure Penn State will lose a random one in a the B1G.

Yes, but the SEC will knock each other out. We'll likely have 2 SEC teams in the mix forever lol... 

Both have tough schedules ahead, but I think PSU is more likely to go undefeated more than Auburn. Both should lose though.

I don't frankly care much about our SoS unless it's late in the year. If we lose one this season, we're not making the CFP. Only possibility of that is an extremely close loss to Cinci who is top 10, and Cinci goes undefeated (which they should). If we go undefeated, we're in. The PAC is just too weak to impact our SoS and CFP all that much. And personally, I prefer USC and Stanford lose just about every week because we recruit a lot of the same guys (at least we used to).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yes, but the SEC will knock each other out. We'll likely have 2 SEC teams in the mix forever lol... 

Both have tough schedules ahead, but I think PSU is more likely to go undefeated more than Auburn. Both should lose though.

I don't frankly care much about our SoS unless it's late in the year. If we lose one this season, we're not making the CFP. Only possibility of that is an extremely close loss to Cinci who is top 10, and Cinci goes undefeated (which they should). If we go undefeated, we're in. The PAC is just too weak to impact our SoS and CFP all that much. And personally, I prefer USC and Stanford lose just about every week because we recruit a lot of the same guys (at least we used to).

 

Anybody can lose one during the year. You just have to come out like gang busters after that loss and put a beat down on every team. That seems to always catch the committees eye. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, coltssb said:

Anybody can lose one during the year. You just have to come out like gang busters after that loss and put a beat down on every team. That seems to always catch the committees eye. 

Not sure anyone can lose one. P5s with a CC, yes. Non-P5s have to run the table. ND in my opinion has some latitude but we're not getting in with a loss generally unless it's to a top 10 type of team. Planets could always align sure for some other situations, but in general, we don't have margin for error that Clemson, Bama, OSU, UGA, etc have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Not sure anyone can lose one. P5s with a CC, yes. Non-P5s have to run the table. ND in my opinion has some latitude but we're not getting in with a loss generally unless it's to a top 10 type of team. Planets could always align sure for some other situations, but in general, we don't have margin for error that Clemson, Bama, OSU, UGA, etc have.

Sorry getting off topic here. You don’t think ND loses to Purdue here by a last second score but then goes on and beats every team left on the schedule by 14. That’s teams like USC, UNC, VT, Stanford and so on. The committee wouldn’t say, well, ND struggled at first but as the season progressed they destroyed teams. I think they would have to take a hard look at Nd at that point. Again, they would have to thrash teams though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Sorry getting off topic here. You don’t think ND loses to Purdue here by a last second score but then goes on and beats every team left on the schedule by 14. That’s teams like USC, UNC, VT, Stanford and so on. The committee wouldn’t say, well, ND struggled at first but as the season progressed they destroyed teams. I think they would have to take a hard look at Nd at that point. Again, they would have to thrash teams though. 

I think a loss at home to PU would absolutely remove us from consideration. Sure the planets could align, but we'd have almost zero chance if the selection committee is comparing us to a one loss SEC team, or one loss P5 conference champion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, ND_JACK said:

Great job this will save me time trying to plan my “weekend” activities. I’ll be at the Purdue game so I already have my Saturday afternoon/ early evening planned this week. Thanks

I went to the Toledo game. Crazy to see all those empty seats. I’m thinking there won’t be too many empty seats for this game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, ND_JACK said:

Great job this will save me time trying to plan my “weekend” activities. I’ll be at the Purdue game so I already have my Saturday afternoon/ early evening planned this week. Thanks

Since I was a young pup in the 80s, I've tried to plan my fall weekends around football lol... Back then, I'd highlight the games in the newspaper and put it on the fridge. This is the new tech version lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Hold on Stony Brook is playing Oregon????  

They couldn't find a local high school to play I guess lol...

Such a strange matchup. Small conf school from NY going all the way to OR.... 

53 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Friday had to two great games to watch, hopefully the games today keep it going (except the ND game, no need for that to be close at the end). 🙂

UCF/L'ville was nice. Didn't see the other but looked close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

They couldn't find a local high school to play I guess lol...

Such a strange matchup. Small conf school from NY going all the way to OR.... 

Yea its local to me, like 8-10 miles away.  I know they're trying to grow the university sports programs, especially the hockey program.  But to schedule Oregon?  Geez

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Yea its local to me, like 8-10 miles away.  I know they're trying to grow the university sports programs, especially the hockey program.  But to schedule Oregon?  Geez

Hope the check was good lol.. 

If I were SB, I would have gone to FL and played on the P5s there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...