• ND by 20 or more
    • ND by 14-19
    • ND by 7-13
    • ND by 1-6
    • PU by 1-6
    • PU by 7-13
    • PU by 14-19
    • PU by 20 or more
  2. 2. How many yards will Coan/ND pass for?

3. 3. How many yards will PU pass for?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2021 at 06:00 PM

ND back to comfortable.....?

• ND vs PU All Time:  56W/26L/2T
  • Current Streak: ND 5 Ws (2008-2014)
  • The last two decades: ND has dominated lately. Last time this really was a contest was during the Brees years.
  • Genera Team:
    • The bloom is off the rose (Brohm), and the best hair the world (Diaco) has left West Lafayette.
    • One great player on O, and one great player on D is likely not enough to make this team good.
    • They haven't played anyone, but are 2-0 in easy fashion.
    • Brohm has also recruited better than his predecessors and the talent level is improving.
  • Offense
    • General PU O:
      • QB Plummer has looked good thus far after being named starter. 550+ yards and 6 TDs in two games with no INTs. One game was against UCON though.
      • Bell WR and Durham TE look to be Plummer's favs.
      • Their running game looks decent so far, but is not seen as a strength. They were last in the Big 10 last season in rushing.
      • They lost one of the two top RBs last game (Horvath).
      • Both OTs are new, but iOL has returning experience.
    • PU Best on O:
      • David Bell WR is a monster, and was a B10 Frosh of the year 2 years ago. 1915 yards and 18 TDs in 20 games.
      • Easily the best WR we've seen this year so far, and perhaps maybe all year.
      • Projected as a 2nd round draft prospect.
      • Not as electric as R Moore, but healthier. Big play flashbacks? lol
  • Defense
    • General PU 
      • Diaco is gone... New DC/LB (Lambert) and D staff, and moving to 4-3. Lambert spent much of the 90s at UGA, and last two years as Marshall's DC (after a HC gig at Charlotte).
      • PU also added Ron English (DBs/Co-DC) from Florida, and Mark Hagen (DL and another co-DC lol) from Texas.
      • Lots of cooks in the kitchen.
      • Overall pretty good DL, and a decent CB (Cory Trice) and FS (Cam Allen).
      • In short, they are likely struggling with scheme changes like ND.
      • Also to note are a couple front seven SEC transfers. 
    • PU Best on D
      • The DE combo of Karlaftis (ND recruiting target) and LEO Mitchell (JUCO transfer) might be the best PU has had in decades. A lot of preseason hype.
      • Karlaftis is considered a first round NFL draft prospect and should  fair even better in a 4-3.
      • They have not however, translated to sacks in either game.
      • Hope they don't break out vs our struggling OL.
  • Prediction:
    • Game
      • We should, I stress should, be able to run on PU. Williams and Tyree both should have good games.
      • We will be able to pass on them so long as our OL is even decent (and not bad). Should be a good day for Coan and our WRs, especially the big ones. Mayer as always will eat plenty
      • Our D will be multiple levels better than the two teams they have faced so far. Plummer could be pelted all day. We will create havoc again, just need to watch for the big plays to Bell. 
    • Line
      • ND outclasses PU of course, but PU has a few guys on each side that can give the Irish headaches. Not enough though.
      • If I weren't snakebitten by the last two games, I'd say ND by 21+.
      • I'm not snakebitten enough to say we'll get beat, or need OT though.
      • So hedging my bet and saying ND by 10, which is more than the current -7 Vegas line.

22 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Yeah haven't found too much on their new defense yet, am looking though.

This is that tight end you wrote about, good player

I'm sure even they don't know how their D will come together lol....

3 co-DCs... holy cow, talk about too many cooks.

Probably have to look back at Marhall's D to get an idea if indeed the lead-co-DC is driving the bus.

Edited by OKelleyIrish
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I'm sure even they don't know how their D will come together lol....

3 co-DCs... holy cow, talk about too many cooks.

Probably have to look back at Marhall's D to get an idea if indeed the lead-co-DC is driving the bus.

I looked at several boilermaker Youtube channels and the word they come up with is aggressive. Coming from Diaco I believe we went to Vangorder who was complicated and aggressive. It doesn't surprise me that Post Diaco Purdue would go more aggressive too. I think its more like a college coach aggressive then BVG aggressive though. So look for when to add on to the pass rush, Pass protection will be a key point. Let's hope the protection is more like 4th quarter then 1st quarter for nd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I looked at several boilermaker Youtube channels and the word they come up with is aggressive. Coming from Diaco I believe we went to Vangorder who was complicated and aggressive. It doesn't surprise me that Post Diaco Purdue would go more aggressive too. I think its more like a college coach aggressive then BVG aggressive though. So look for when to add on to the pass rush, Pass protection will be a key point. Let's hope the protection is more like 4th quarter then 1st quarter for nd

It's a pretty messy situation to me. Not saying PU D is a mess, just not easy to project due to so many narratives.

All I can really project based on things we know to be true, are

1.  Karlaftis at DE is supposed to be really really good, so they should try to do everything they can to scheme him into the mix.
  2. Florida has always had good DBs, so their new DB coach co DC might improve the secondary.

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

@PJacksonsDred15

Please see a mod and turn in your Irish Card.

I kid lol

lol Purdue by 3 was my vote. That is my attempt at an unbiased opinion based solely upon our week 1 and week 2 play. We barely survived FSU and Toledo and I feel Purdue is a step up from those teams. They also have playmakers at DE and WR, positions that go up against our weaker areas. Doesnt mean ND cant ir wont make adjustments and win, but they will need to in order to beat Purdue.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

lol Purdue by 3 was my vote. That is my attempt at an unbiased opinion based solely upon our week 1 and week 2 play. We barely survived FSU and Toledo and I feel Purdue is a step up from those teams. They also have playmakers at DE and WR, positions that go up against our weaker areas. Doesnt mean ND cant ir wont make adjustments and win, but they will need to in order to beat Purdue.

I'm just funnin' with you my friend lol...

I'm mostly in lock step with all your takes in the game chats.

I do disagree with PU being a step up. PU has played no one. ORSt has been the doormat of a weak PAC and has very poor talent. UCON is several levels down from that. FSU has a lot of talent, just have several gaping holes, and a bad culture to get over. Toledo is a very solid and experienced team, and conference favs.

I do agree PU has some very nice pieces, but they look to be very one dimensional on O, and were one of the worst pass Ds in the B10 last year. If they have success running, we're in trouble. But doubt it happens, especially after losing their best RB last week. I like Coan to have a big game if his finger is right lol.

11 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Well shyte.  I been saying that for years. Maybe he needs to hire me on staff. Coaches need to coach them up and they need a better two deep rotation. Applauding for finally saying it. Anyways, I think not only rotation is a necessity, but I think special plays or formations for just certain freshman are key. If you’re listening Kelly. One, you’re not burning a redshirt for four plays a season. Maybe you use them more than one play in that game. But two, it just gives the other team something to think about that’s looking at your film. Even if you do t plan on using the frogs anymore. Three, the frogs that got in one or two specialty plays feels important.  Thinks he actually has a chance for playing time next year and beyond. Makes for a happy locker room. Four, you may even get a big play out of it. 5, it’s not like you’re working  on that formation or play all week long. You tell the kid this is your one chance. Get the play down. This is how I want it. Coach him up exactly what you want. Communication is the key here. 
Anyways, I’m blabbing. But good to see Kelly’s understanding of depth now.