2021 Toledo @ ND: Post Game Thoughts (your 5 biggest takeaways)

OKelleyIrish

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We're not football factory. We didn't reload with a 5 star Bryce Young or DJU like Bama and Clemson. or with a 5 star transfer JT Daniels like UGA. We have a 3 star transfer from Wiscy.

We don't have a DL or secondary littered with 5 stars like those teams either.

My expectations are pretty much in line with the starters we return, our recruiting (and admissions requirements), and simply reality. 

That’s fine, if they’d struggled with a mid tier Power 5 program, I’d understand, but not the MAC. This is not good enough period. 

8 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I think underperforming Irish do that to all off us, I was YELLING about missed tackles and I was YELLING at the peacock today 

I was yelling more at Peacock lol... I did holler a bit at a big play or two from Toledo lol

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

That’s not good enough 

Did you feel the same in 2018 when we had lackluster early games vs Ball State and Vandy?

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I was yelling more at Peacock lol... I did holler a bit at a big play or two from Toledo lol

Did you feel the same in 2018 when we had lackluster early games vs Ball State and Vandy?

Not exactly the same, but I wasn’t happy either. However, It was obvious the QB was the issue. Now, the OL and Defense sucking feels much more daunting.

2 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

That’s fine, if they’d struggled with a mid tier Power 5 program, I’d understand, but not the MAC. This is not good enough period. 

See my answer above re 2018

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

I don’t understand why anyone would be thrilled with today. I don’t want to fire anyone, but this isn’t up to ND’s standards

I don't think anyone is happy. It's only the level of hand wringing that's in question

3 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Not exactly the same, but I wasn’t happy either. However, It was obvious the QB was the issue. Now, the OL and Defense sucking feels much more daunting.

Perhaps, but Ball State was a horrible team that year. One of the worst in the MAC. Far worse than Toledo who is a MAC fav this year. And that Vandy team only had 3 P5 wins that year. 

1 minute ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Just so we remember the opponents were Toledo and as always perfection. PERFECTION is UNDEFEATED. The Irish took care of Toledo. Lets chase chase perfection catch excellence and LOVE ONE ANOTHER all at the same time

and all sing along to 

• Cheers (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I don’t understand why anyone would be thrilled with today. I don’t want to fire anyone, but this isn’t up to ND’s standards

I’m not thrilled…at all. But I’d rather be 2-0 than 0-2… so I’m happy to be undefeated… 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Leprechaun (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

Just winning is good enough in the NFL, not college.

I get your point - was mainly posting for the joke. Terrified for what's on the horizon for this squad. However, I disagree to a certain extent. If we win every game this year by 1 point, we're national champs. But, the odds of that happening based on what I've seen so far is equal to the odds of Al Davis actually picking up a phone. 

7 hours ago, BrianKellyTheMan said:

60k fans today, where was everyone at! Should we not expect sells outs all year? Didn’t think Covid would play a role here. 

I’ll tell you one aspect of why the south end zone was half full, if that. The south end zone was a place where season tickets were passed down through middle class South Bend families from Rockne into the 2000’s. Then, Notre Dame demanded what was essentially a one time seat license to those families, which they couldn’t afford. So, the most loyal fans ND had were gone. They felt betrayed by ND and those empty seats are on Notre Dame. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

lets steer back to 5 takeaways. on the toledo game

1.  The O-line can’t run block. This is what is forcing ND to go out of the offense they want to run with Coan and turn to a rollout rpo  offense with Buchner. 

2. Notre Dame does not have the talent to play as much man coverage that Freeman wants to run 

3. Putting Foskey off the line is dumb. It puts so much on his plate when he should be focused on terrorizing QB’s as a down lineman. 

4. We really miss Owusu-Koramoah. None of the linebackers have near his talent, which is one of the reasons why we’re giving up so many long runs. 

5. I don’t know how this coaching staff is going to fix this. This is a rebuilding year imo. Hopefully, Freeman can keep the recruiting class and bring in more elite talent. I’m not impressed with his more complicated scheme.  

Edited by Frankus
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

If you are underperforming then someone has to be accountable. I’m not saying to fire anyone 2 games in, but someone has to be held responsible, and then if the underperforming continues then those responsible can be in the discussion for being fired.  

so, who right now is the main person for being held accountable?  For me it is and always has been BK. He makes the hiring decisions on the position coaches. The buck ultimately stops with him. 

• Cheers (+1) 1
  • Leprechaun (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frankus said:

1.  The O-line can’t run block. This is what is forcing ND to go out of the offense they want to run with Coan and turn to a rollout rpo  offense with Buchner. 

2. Notre Dame does not have the talent to play as much man coverage that Freeman wants to run 

3. Putting Foskey off the line is dumb. It puts so much on his plate when he should be focused on terrorizing QB’s as a down lineman. 

4. We really miss Owusu-Koramoah. None of the linebackers have near his talent, which is one of the reasons why we’re giving up so many long runs. 

5. I don’t know how this coaching staff is going to fix this. This is a rebuilding year imo. Hopefully, Freeman can keep the recruiting class and bring in more elite talent. I’m not impressed with his more complicated scheme.  

Man I think you're nailing it this week.  I'll just piggy back off your 5.  

1.  I was full on board with the O-line issue.  BUT, I did start thinking.  I soon as Buchner started keeping it, Williams had room to run  So is that an o-line issue or a Coan issue?  They still have to be able to line up and get a yard when needed however.  

2.  Absolutely no argument here.  They are going to get toasty when we play really elite receivers.  

3.  Yeah, let him cause chaos like we know he can.  Let him drop back 3-4 plays a game.  That's it!

4.  Yep.  I don't care that Marist and Maolo(sp) are hurt too.  None of them are JOK.  I do question if it's a problem with the 3 down lineman and the fact that the 0-linemen are meeting our linebackers too quickly, thus they can't get off their blocks. I also think with 3 down linemen that it is making the linebackers have to choose a gap and hope for the best, allowing the runner to choose which gap he thinks the linebackers won't be.  

5.  Too early for me to slam his scheme.  I do think you're right.  Our talent doesn't match what he's trying to accomplish.  Really, I think he just needs more speed everywhere.  No way Cinci has better players.  But Cinci did match his philosophy of chaos.  I think that is speed.  

33 minutes ago, coltssb said:

1.  I was full on board with the O-line issue.  BUT, I did start thinking.  I soon as Buchner started keeping it, Williams had room to run  So is that an o-line issue or a Coan issue?  They still have to be able to line up and get a yard when needed however.  

2.  Absolutely no argument here.  They are going to get toasty when we play really elite receivers.  

3.  Yeah, let him cause chaos like we know he can.  Let him drop back 3-4 plays a game.  That's it!

4.  Yep.  I don't care that Marist and Maolo(sp) are hurt too.  None of them are JOK.  I do question if it's a problem with the 3 down lineman and the fact that the 0-linemen are meeting our linebackers too quickly, thus they can't get off their blocks. I also think with 3 down linemen that it is making the linebackers have to choose a gap and hope for the best, allowing the runner to choose which gap he thinks the linebackers won't be.  

5.  Too early for me to slam his scheme.  I do think you're right.  Our talent doesn't match what he's trying to accomplish.  Really, I think he just needs more speed everywhere.  No way Cinci has better players.  But Cinci did match his philosophy of chaos.  I think that is speed.  

I agree with your overall points. A few elaborations related to your thoughts.

1. I can’t be sure if it’s a Coan issue or a Rees issue. There were a number of times Coan could have kept the ball and run for decent yardage, but when Rees was QB he never kept the ball and ran. So, I don’t know if with Coan they’ve reverted to what Rees did when he was QB, or if Coan has the green light and he’s not keeping and running. Both QB’s should be able to execute the read option imo. 

3. I agree that running backs are getting to the second level very quickly when we run a 3 man front. It’s not working. If they keep it, both the down linemen and the linebackers better execute better. Here again, you’re spending practice time teaching different techniques. It’s stupid in a limited practice time situation imo. I wish they’d scrap it till (hopefully) they have the speed to create chaos. 

Edited by Frankus
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Frankus said:

I’ll tell you one aspect of why the south end zone was half full, if that. The south end zone was a place where season tickets were passed down through middle class South Bend families from Rockne into the 2000’s. Then, Notre Dame demanded what was essentially a one time seat license to those families, which they couldn’t afford. So, the most loyal fans ND had were gone. They felt betrayed by ND and those empty seats are on Notre Dame. 

This is the crap that pisses me off.  “Sit in these crappy wooden seats, but pay us more for them. “ F that. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Frankus said:

Bingo. Great post.

• Like (+1) 1