Jump to content

2021 Toledo @ ND: Post Game Thoughts (your 5 biggest takeaways)


OKelleyIrish
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I think Tommy just tried to be super conservative, and not show that much. He scripted well on the first drive, and called a good aggressive mix late when needed. I just don't think our OL will allow us to play power football this year. We'll need to be more dynamic and aggressive with play calling.

Yup, the INT should have stood. No view showed it hitting the ground. Wonder if they had another view, or simply played made a bad call.

I agree, but they were also playing a MAC team, it should’ve never been this close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ELDER06 said:

I don’t have 5 points, but this is unacceptable. The OL is garbage and can’t even win the LOS vs a f’n MAC team. Freeman is a terrible in game coach and is getting exposed. Unlike Van Gorder, he can recruit. Buchner should probably start, but I don’t like benching Coan bc it’s not his fault, Buchner just works better behind that abortion of an OL. 

I'd be with you, However, they won so that part is always acceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

I agree, but they were also playing a MAC team, it should’ve never been this close.

A MAC that returned 21 of 22 starters, and is favored to win the MAC.

I agree we should have won by multiple scores, but I think we played super soft on D (coverage wise) and the O play calling was super conservative. 

If you're OL can't dominate, you can't play power football. And that's not us right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

A MAC that returned 21 of 22 starters, and is favored to win the MAC.

I agree we should have won by multiple scores, but I think we played super soft on D (coverage wise) and the O play calling was super conservative. 

If you're OL can't dominate, you can't play power football. And that's not us right now. 

I don’t care, that’s not where ND is at anymore. The expectations have been raised where you are supposed to win this game comfortably. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I don’t care, that’s not where ND is at anymore. The expectations have been raised where you are supposed to win this game comfortably. 

I mean, that's your expectations, and that's fine.

Some folks understand we have only 3 returning starters on D to go along with a new scheme, a mostly new OL and a new QB. Huge change on both sides of the ball.

We had 2 early close ones in 2018 with Ball State and Vandy. We went on to play in the CFP that year.

If we were Bama, I'd be more down on the team. We're not Bama though.

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I don’t care, that’s not where ND is at anymore. The expectations have been raised where you are supposed to win this game comfortably. 

ND didn’t reload. They are rebuilding. This is not a reload program. It is what it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Frankus said:

ND didn’t reload. They are rebuilding. This is not a reload program. It is what it is. 

I don't think that's true.  I think ND is a program now that is in reload mode.  The problem is we have an abomination of an OL coach and a new DC that is bringing a different scheme that needs some time to settle in.  In my opinion the talent is there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

FSU down 7-0 to Jacksonville State in the 2nd qtr. Just thought I would mention that to all those who are saying FSU may be better than we think. No, they arent. 

Honestly not surprised. FSU is likely suffering a short week ND hangover, and JSt won the OVC last year (was in the FCS playoffs).

It's early though. Wouldn't be shocked if FSU came back strong after HT once Corbin heats up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I think Tommy just tried to be super conservative, and not show that much. He scripted well on the first drive, and called a good aggressive mix late when needed. I just don't think our OL will allow us to play power football this year. We'll need to be more dynamic and aggressive with play calling.

Yup, the INT should have stood. No view showed it hitting the ground. Wonder if they had another view, or simply played made a bad call.

That’s a great point, and makes total sense.  They really will have to be aggressive with the play calling from now on.

Agreed!  It was a terrible call!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

FSU down 7-0 to Jacksonville State in the 2nd qtr. Just thought I would mention that to all those who are saying FSU may be better than we think. No, they arent. 

I laughed a bit too hard after reading this.  😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I mean, that's your expectations, and that's fine.

Some folks understand we have only 3 returning starters on D to go along with a new scheme, a mostly new OL and a new QB. Huge change on both sides of the ball.

We had 2 early close ones in 2018 with Ball State and Vandy. We went on to play in the CFP that year.

If we were Bama, I'd be more down on the team. We're not Bama though.

 

That should be everyone’s expectations, programs with multiple playoff appearances shouldn’t struggle with a MAC team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Frankus said:

ND didn’t reload. They are rebuilding. This is not a reload program. It is what it is. 

They’re in between reload & rebuild. I don’t expect them to be a playoff team, but I did expect them to win 10 games. 

Edited by ELDER06
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ELDER06 said:

That should be everyone’s expectations, programs with multiple playoff appearances shouldn’t struggle with a MAC team.

We're not football factory. We didn't reload with a 5 star Bryce Young or DJU like Bama and Clemson. or with a 5 star transfer JT Daniels like UGA. We have a 3 star transfer from Wiscy.

We don't have a DL or secondary littered with 5 stars like those teams either.

My expectations are pretty much in line with the starters we return, our recruiting (and admissions requirements), and simply reality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Frankus said:

For fucks sake. This is a mediocre football team. Somewhere along the line we’re going to get beat like the dog we are. It’s inevitable. 

I don’t give a rat’s ass what they are. A win is a win…

Dude, you’ve bitched for years about capabilities, expectations and what have you… at your age you should come to grips with it all and enjoy the ride… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...