2021 Toledo @ ND: Post Game Thoughts (your 5 biggest takeaways)

OKelleyIrish

37 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I think Tommy just tried to be super conservative, and not show that much. He scripted well on the first drive, and called a good aggressive mix late when needed. I just don't think our OL will allow us to play power football this year. We'll need to be more dynamic and aggressive with play calling.

Yup, the INT should have stood. No view showed it hitting the ground. Wonder if they had another view, or simply played made a bad call.

I agree, but they were also playing a MAC team, it should’ve never been this close.

Just now, ELDER06 said:

I don’t have 5 points, but this is unacceptable. The OL is garbage and can’t even win the LOS vs a f’n MAC team. Freeman is a terrible in game coach and is getting exposed. Unlike Van Gorder, he can recruit. Buchner should probably start, but I don’t like benching Coan bc it’s not his fault, Buchner just works better behind that abortion of an OL. 

I'd be with you, However, they won so that part is always acceptable.

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

I agree, but they were also playing a MAC team, it should’ve never been this close.

A MAC that returned 21 of 22 starters, and is favored to win the MAC.

I agree we should have won by multiple scores, but I think we played super soft on D (coverage wise) and the O play calling was super conservative. 

If you're OL can't dominate, you can't play power football. And that's not us right now. 

30 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

A MAC that returned 21 of 22 starters, and is favored to win the MAC.

I agree we should have won by multiple scores, but I think we played super soft on D (coverage wise) and the O play calling was super conservative. 

If you're OL can't dominate, you can't play power football. And that's not us right now. 

I don’t care, that’s not where ND is at anymore. The expectations have been raised where you are supposed to win this game comfortably. 

7 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I don’t care, that’s not where ND is at anymore. The expectations have been raised where you are supposed to win this game comfortably. 

I mean, that's your expectations, and that's fine.

Some folks understand we have only 3 returning starters on D to go along with a new scheme, a mostly new OL and a new QB. Huge change on both sides of the ball.

We had 2 early close ones in 2018 with Ball State and Vandy. We went on to play in the CFP that year.

If we were Bama, I'd be more down on the team. We're not Bama though.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

ND didn’t reload. They are rebuilding. This is not a reload program. It is what it is. 

9 minutes ago, Frankus said:

ND didn’t reload. They are rebuilding. This is not a reload program. It is what it is. 

I don't think that's true.  I think ND is a program now that is in reload mode.  The problem is we have an abomination of an OL coach and a new DC that is bringing a different scheme that needs some time to settle in.  In my opinion the talent is there.  

7 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

FSU down 7-0 to Jacksonville State in the 2nd qtr. Just thought I would mention that to all those who are saying FSU may be better than we think. No, they arent. 

Honestly not surprised. FSU is likely suffering a short week ND hangover, and JSt won the OVC last year (was in the FCS playoffs).

It's early though. Wouldn't be shocked if FSU came back strong after HT once Corbin heats up.

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I think Tommy just tried to be super conservative, and not show that much. He scripted well on the first drive, and called a good aggressive mix late when needed. I just don't think our OL will allow us to play power football this year. We'll need to be more dynamic and aggressive with play calling.

Yup, the INT should have stood. No view showed it hitting the ground. Wonder if they had another view, or simply played made a bad call.

That’s a great point, and makes total sense.  They really will have to be aggressive with the play calling from now on.

Agreed!  It was a terrible call!

25 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

FSU down 7-0 to Jacksonville State in the 2nd qtr. Just thought I would mention that to all those who are saying FSU may be better than we think. No, they arent. 

I laughed a bit too hard after reading this.  😑

52 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I mean, that's your expectations, and that's fine.

Some folks understand we have only 3 returning starters on D to go along with a new scheme, a mostly new OL and a new QB. Huge change on both sides of the ball.

We had 2 early close ones in 2018 with Ball State and Vandy. We went on to play in the CFP that year.

If we were Bama, I'd be more down on the team. We're not Bama though.

That should be everyone’s expectations, programs with multiple playoff appearances shouldn’t struggle with a MAC team.

53 minutes ago, Frankus said:

They’re in between reload & rebuild. I don’t expect them to be a playoff team, but I did expect them to win 10 games. 

Edited by ELDER06

Just now, ELDER06 said:

That should be everyone’s expectations, programs with multiple playoff appearances shouldn’t struggle with a MAC team.

We're not football factory. We didn't reload with a 5 star Bryce Young or DJU like Bama and Clemson. or with a 5 star transfer JT Daniels like UGA. We have a 3 star transfer from Wiscy.

We don't have a DL or secondary littered with 5 stars like those teams either.

My expectations are pretty much in line with the starters we return, our recruiting (and admissions requirements), and simply reality. 

3 minutes ago, Frankus said:

For fucks sake. This is a mediocre football team. Somewhere along the line we’re going to get beat like the dog we are. It’s inevitable. 

I don’t give a rat’s ass what they are. A win is a win…

Dude, you’ve bitched for years about capabilities, expectations and what have you… at your age you should come to grips with it all and enjoy the ride…