Jump to content

2021 Toledo @ ND: Post Game Thoughts (your 5 biggest takeaways)


OKelleyIrish
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

  1. Peacock sucks... as Barkley would say... Tuuuuuuurrrrrrrrribbbbbbuuuulllllll.... Returned late a couple times missing plays or while plays were in progress. Was very very late vs live action. exiting and going backed help later
  2. Offensive Line has just been bad. Not sure the answer. Shuffle, new blood, IDK. I'd like to see Tosh and Spindler get most of the 1st team reps this week leading to the PU game.
  3. Toledo (general) - this is a good football team guys. 21 returning starters, and favorite to win the MAC this year..... Still, we should have won by 2 to 3 TDs in easy fashion. 
  4. Defense (general) - still bad tackling, still gap confusion, and some bad coverage assignment mistakes. Lots of execution issues. Lots of big plays given up. LB did seem to play a bit better. Thought Bo and Bertrand looked good. DBs looked much worse IMO. 
  5. Offense (general) - Play calling seemed awfully vanilla. RBs except for a few plays were kept in check (mainly because OL stunk). Passing game, when we pushed, did well. 

 

Bonus

  1. Austin is a bad bad man. Mayer is still a Monster
  2. I liked seeing a few youngster WRs getting in the mix
  3. Loved BK's confidence going back to Coan
  4. Coan came back down to earth a bit, but still delivered when it counted, and with a dislocated finger. And was getting harassed all day.
  5. Tyler looked good in limited action. Super stoked he got some time. 
  6. Pyne has to be thinking transfer portal
  7. Davis got into the mix today with 3 key catches. Lenzy with 2.
  8. Thought Bo Bauer and JD Bertrand looked very good at times today
  9. No INTs today is a bit of a downer

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

 

  1. Peacock sucks... as Barkley would say... Tuuuuuuurrrrrrrrribbbbbbuuuulllllll.... Returned late a couple times missing plays or while plays were in progress. Was very very late vs live action. exiting and going backed help later
  2. Offensive Line has just been bad. Not sure the answer. Shuffle, new blood, IDK. I'd like to see Tosh and Spindler get most of the 1st team reps this week leading to the PU game.
  3. Toledo (general) - this is a good football team guys. 21 returning starters, and favorite to win the MAC this year..... Still, we should have won by 2 to 3 TDs in easy fashion. 
  4. Defense (general) - still bad tackling, still gap confusion, and some bad coverage assignment mistakes. Lots of execution issues. Lots of big plays given up. LB did seem to play a bit better. Thought Bo and Bertrand looked good. DBs looked much worse IMO. 
  5. Offense (general) - Play calling seemed awfully vanilla. RBs except for a few plays were kept in check (mainly because OL stunk). Passing game, when we pushed, did well. 

 

Bonus

  1. Austin is a bad bad man. Mayer is still a Monster
  2. I liked seeing a few youngster WRs getting in the mix
  3. Loved BK's confidence going back to Coan
  4. Coan came back down to earth a bit, but still delivered when it counted, and with a dislocated finger. And was getting harassed all day.
  5. Tyler looked good in limited action. Super stoked he got some time. 
  6. Pyne has to be thinking transfer portal
  7. Davis got into the mix today with 3 key catches. Lenzy with 2.
  8. Thought Bo Bauer and JD Bertrand looked very good at times today
  9. No INTs today is a bit of a downer

 

Think you summed it up pretty well. I don’t know if the short week had anything to do with how we looked. Let’s hope Toledo runs the table and/or wins the MAC. I do think they might be pretty good as well. 
 

can’t get over how bad the offensive line looked. 4 and 5 stars all around and we can’t get a push vs Toledo… unacceptable. You’d never see this from any of the perennial top 5 teams. Quinn needs to go or else we are all in for a long season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

 

  1. Peacock sucks... as Barkley would say... Tuuuuuuurrrrrrrrribbbbbbuuuulllllll.... Returned late a couple times missing plays or while plays were in progress. Was very very late vs live action. exiting and going backed help later
  2. Offensive Line has just been bad. Not sure the answer. Shuffle, new blood, IDK. I'd like to see Tosh and Spindler get most of the 1st team reps this week leading to the PU game.
  3. Toledo (general) - this is a good football team guys. 21 returning starters, and favorite to win the MAC this year..... Still, we should have won by 2 to 3 TDs in easy fashion. 
  4. Defense (general) - still bad tackling, still gap confusion, and some bad coverage assignment mistakes. Lots of execution issues. Lots of big plays given up. LB did seem to play a bit better. Thought Bo and Bertrand looked good. DBs looked much worse IMO. 
  5. Offense (general) - Play calling seemed awfully vanilla. RBs except for a few plays were kept in check (mainly because OL stunk). Passing game, when we pushed, did well. 

 

Bonus

  1. Austin is a bad bad man. Mayer is still a Monster
  2. I liked seeing a few youngster WRs getting in the mix
  3. Loved BK's confidence going back to Coan
  4. Coan came back down to earth a bit, but still delivered when it counted, and with a dislocated finger. And was getting harassed all day.
  5. Tyler looked good in limited action. Super stoked he got some time. 
  6. Pyne has to be thinking transfer portal
  7. Davis got into the mix today with 3 key catches. Lenzy with 2.
  8. Thought Bo Bauer and JD Bertrand looked very good at times today
  9. No INTs today is a bit of a downer

 

Videos  ok to come here? Or do you want me to make another thread?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

Think you summed it up pretty well. I don’t know if the short week had anything to do with how we looked. Let’s hope Toledo runs the table and/or wins the MAC. I do think they might be pretty good as well. 
 

can’t get over how bad the offensive line looked. 4 and 5 stars all around and we can’t get a push vs Toledo… unacceptable. You’d never see this from any of the perennial top 5 teams. Quinn needs to go or else we are all in for a long season. 

The OL really scares. This is the worst I've seen them since Harry left. We don't have that nasty vibe anymore. We still have the recruits, but the demeanor. Is Harry available lol?

I think the Toledo takes the MAC for sure. BSU came out of no where last year, but that whole side of the MAC is pretty tough for a mid major. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, cali_domer said:
  1. Yikes
  2. We will lose at minimum 3 games. But at least we did not lose to a MAC team.  

OL was the only real yikes to me.

Toledo is very solid, and we played vanilla a ton. You can tell when we opened up on O, and when we were vanilla. The vanilla periods were stinky because of OL. The scripted start, and end where Tommy pushed things, went like a well oiled machine.

Not ready to say we lose 3. 

8 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Take the W and ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Yup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Offensive Line got worse and is the worst unit on the squad. They may have to blow it all up. It is the biggest problem with the team.

2. Buchner should continue to be mixed in to keep defenses honest with the OL is playing like this.

3. We were better running Clarke Lea's defense. 

4. We lose to Purdue next week if we play like this.

5. We only win a handful of games the rest of the way if we dont get healthier and better.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OKelleyIrish said:

Add whatever you'd like!

I'm wore out bud.

 

1. 2 QBs are better then one, when the ultimate teammate in Coan. Hats off to Jack Coan

2. My what went wrong thread will feature the offensive line.

3. Defense looked better, not great but better.

4. This season is tracking like 2015. Points per game and points allowed are close. Does Coan+Buchner=Kizer?

5. Playmakers like Tyree, Austin etc are fun to have.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

1. Offensive Line got worse and is the worst unit on the squad. They may have to blow it all up. It is the biggest problem with the team.

👍

10 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

2. Buchner should continue to be mixed in to keep defenses honest with the OL is playing like this.

I think so too. I do think we went vanilla too early on O, and tried to muscle instead of push. Coan looks much better pushing than dink/dunk IMO. But I love TB packages, and think he'll be lethal in short yardage and goal line situations. 

10 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

3. We were better running Clarke Lea's defense. 

we still gave up some big stuff in the 4-3

10 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

4. We lose to Purdue next week if we play like this.

PU looked good today, but UCON gets destroyed by everyone.

I'm not sure PU is better than Toledo though. Plummer has had 2 good games, and I expect their O to be solid all year. Their D, maybe not. Against our OL though... oooof

10 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

5. We only win a handful of games the rest of the way if we dont get healthier and better.

IDK. We shall see. I think it's very possible Toledo is a good team and will win the MAC, and FSU will be better than most thought. Not saying we're playing great (we're not), but I think our opponents thus far might be two very solid teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

I’d ride or die this season with Buchner… why not?

I think he's clearly the future, but still pretty raw as a passer. I definitely want to see packages. But Coan looked like and ace on the first scripted drive when we pushed things, and looked like Superman late when we pushed things. All of his questionable play came when we tried to go dink/dunk + muscle with our OL looking like poo. 

IMO, Tommy needs to keep the foot on the gas, and have a good vertical mix all game long. 

It was Toledo though, so I expected a good amount of vanilla.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

 

  1. Peacock sucks... as Barkley would say... Tuuuuuuurrrrrrrrribbbbbbuuuulllllll.... Returned late a couple times missing plays or while plays were in progress. Was very very late vs live action. exiting and going backed help later
  2. Offensive Line has just been bad. Not sure the answer. Shuffle, new blood, IDK. I'd like to see Tosh and Spindler get most of the 1st team reps this week leading to the PU game.
  3. Toledo (general) - this is a good football team guys. 21 returning starters, and favorite to win the MAC this year..... Still, we should have won by 2 to 3 TDs in easy fashion. 
  4. Defense (general) - still bad tackling, still gap confusion, and some bad coverage assignment mistakes. Lots of execution issues. Lots of big plays given up. LB did seem to play a bit better. Thought Bo and Bertrand looked good. DBs looked much worse IMO. 
  5. Offense (general) - Play calling seemed awfully vanilla. RBs except for a few plays were kept in check (mainly because OL stunk). Passing game, when we pushed, did well. 

 

Bonus

  1. Austin is a bad bad man. Mayer is still a Monster
  2. I liked seeing a few youngster WRs getting in the mix
  3. Loved BK's confidence going back to Coan
  4. Coan came back down to earth a bit, but still delivered when it counted, and with a dislocated finger. And was getting harassed all day.
  5. Tyler looked good in limited action. Super stoked he got some time. 
  6. Pyne has to be thinking transfer portal
  7. Davis got into the mix today with 3 key catches. Lenzy with 2.
  8. Thought Bo Bauer and JD Bertrand looked very good at times today
  9. No INTs today is a bit of a downer

 

All very well said.

The only issue I had with Peacock was it being behind.

OL is super young, and are already snake bitten at LT.  🤦🏼‍♂️

Toledo is a good team.  They were actually much better than I thought.

Offense is a head case and super inconsistent!

Austin is a beast!  He needs to be used/thrown to as much as possible!  Same for Wilkins! Davis had a great game too!

Buchner needs to continue to play, because I think it helped bring Coan back down to earth a bit today.

JD Bertrand played outstanding as well! He was all over the field and made some great plays!

Let’s be serious, Notre Dame should have had one INT if the one Hamilton got hadn’t been overturned.  I really did not see indisputable evidence to overturn it, but that seems to be the norm for Notre Dame this season.  😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Baldy said:

All very well said.

The only issue I had with Peacock was it being behind.

OL is super young, and are already snake bitten at LT.  🤦🏼‍♂️

Toledo is a good team.  They were actually much better than I thought.

Offense is a head case and super inconsistent!

Austin is a beast!  He needs to be used/thrown to as much as possible!  Same for Wilkins! Davis had a great game too!

Buchner needs to continue to play, because I think it helped bring Coan back down to earth a bit today.

JD Bertrand played outstanding as well! He was all over the field and made some great plays!

Let’s be serious, Notre Dame should have had one INT if the one Hamilton got hadn’t been overturned.  I really did not see indisputable evidence to overturn it, but that seems to be the norm for Notre Dame this season.  😑

I think Tommy just tried to be super conservative, and not show that much. He scripted well on the first drive, and called a good aggressive mix late when needed. I just don't think our OL will allow us to play power football this year. We'll need to be more dynamic and aggressive with play calling.

Yup, the INT should have stood. No view showed it hitting the ground. Wonder if they had another view, or simply played made a bad call.

  • Flames (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have 5 points, but this is unacceptable. The OL is garbage and can’t even win the LOS vs a f’n MAC team. Freeman is a terrible in game coach and is getting exposed. Unlike Van Gorder, he can recruit. Buchner should probably start, but I don’t like benching Coan bc it’s not his fault, Buchner just works better behind that abortion of an OL. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Leprechaun (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...