Fire Quinn

ndomer4

4 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Warriner was there 2 years (2010 and 2011).

In 2012, we had more yards and a better AVG.

I agree different styles/concepts, but Harry had better results in year 1 compared to Warinners 2 years.

Stats are for losers. You can rack up rushing yards when you're running 4 minute on teams that have packed it in. As my memory serves me, his run blocking wasn't as effective.

Great recruiter and they rarely gave up sacks, but I think at the very least ND should be able to recruit and develop a host of lineman.

Perhaps it's not really Kelly's style of offense that allows ND to develop lineman as much as other programs. Don't really like juding a line coach by the NFL talent as much as the entire unit's effectiveness. Never been a fan of Hiestand but I'd gladly take one of his units after this mess. 

21 minutes ago, JTennant said:

Stats are for losers. You can rack up rushing yards when you're running 4 minute on teams that have packed it in. As my memory serves me, his run blocking wasn't as effective.

Great recruiter and they rarely gave up sacks, but I think at the very least ND should be able to recruit and develop a host of lineman.

Perhaps it's not really Kelly's style of offense that allows ND to develop lineman as much as other programs. Don't really like juding a line coach by the NFL talent as much as the entire unit's effectiveness. Never been a fan of Hiestand but I'd gladly take one of his units after this mess. 

Stats are just numbers. They are indicators. 

Ignoring them, recruiting, or NFL draft and performance results is a bit silly though. 

If you have good results/stats, recruit well, and get guys drafted (who go on to be All Pros), it takes some mental gymnastics and reliance on "eye test" to create a counter narrative. 

I liked Warinner fine. I liked Harry too. Don't care much for Quinn.

the great Hiestand/Warinner debate continues. Tomorrow if i re-watch. I'll see how Quinn fits in.

I agree with J that Warinner got that group playing better. He was looking to run an offense (future offensive coordinator type) and outschemed ALOT of people.

I agree with OKelley that Harry became more like Joe Moore, beloved by his guys. He was going to make them play their basics and get on them until they were draft picks

2 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

A fire Rees thread is much more appropriate. He has no business being in this position, and everything I've seen so far has been the most milquetoast bs of all time. Blame the o line, blame the rbs, blame the wrs - whatever - but Mr. Magoo is driving the Ferrari. 

The offense got what 42 and 32 thats 37 on par with the best of Kelly offenses,  who can we fire for 3 turnovers?

5 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

A fire Rees thread is much more appropriate. He has no business being in this position, and everything I've seen so far has been the most milquetoast bs of all time. Blame the o line, blame the rbs, blame the wrs - whatever - but Mr. Magoo is driving the Ferrari. 

So he's been OC for one year, in which our offensive efficiency went from outside the top 25 to 11th in the nation. 

Little too early for me to jump on a fire-Rees train... lol... 

I'm not an uber fan of his OC style, but he did a lot better than average in year 1 I think.

7 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

The offense got what 42 and 32 thats 37 on par with the best of Kelly offenses,  who can we fire for 3 turnovers?

Against 2 subpar teams. I watched the ole miss game on Monday and salivated. Tell me we shouldn't be doing that with the talent on this roster. Jump balls, up the guts, and TE out routes - this is what I've seen so far. That speed we have at wr? Apparently best utilized in 50/50 jump balls from Coan. Nobody can convince me Rees deserved this position - and the reason coaches need to work their way up the ranks is manifesting itself in front of you. 

Just now, Rattlesnake said:

Against 2 subpar teams. I watched the ole miss game on Monday and salivated. Tell me we shouldn't be doing that with the talent on this roster. Jump balls, up the guts, and TE out routes - this is what I've seen so far. That speed we have at wr? Apparently best utilized in 50/50 jump balls from Coan. Nobody can convince me Rees deserved this position - and the reason coaches need to work their way up the ranks is manifesting itself in front of you. 

fair enough. Been frustrating so far with injuries already proving costly.

14 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

So he's been OC for one year, in which our offensive efficiency went from outside the top 25 to 11th in the nation. 

Little too early for me to jump on a fire-Rees train... lol... 

I'm not an uber fan of his OC style, but he did a lot better than average in year 1 I think.

Glad we snatched Tommy up before all other powerhouses even knew he existed as a coach. Nobody was seeking TR to take a gig even remotely close to OC at ND.. and here we are. The offensive genius equivalent of me playing Madden at 2:30 am on a Tuesday. 

3 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

Glad we snatched Tommy up before all other powerhouses even knew he existed as a coach. Nobody was seeking TR to take a gig even remotely close to OC at ND.. and here we are. The offensive genius equivalent of me playing Madden at 2:30 am on a Tuesday. 

So he was 11th in efficiency in the nation last year, and was almost undefeated his rook year.

Who exactly did you want? Kiffin? lol

Edited by OKelleyIrish

9 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

fair enough. Been frustrating so far with injuries already proving costly.

We finally have speed, Faith.. and this dude is just squandering it away. I've seen 1 screen (fsu) and 0 counters so far. How is this possible? That's where we should eat. 

Watched the game today at a buddy's place with a group of Irish fans.. asked them after the final whistle - have you seen any remarkable plays on offense so far that weren't made by the players? Crickets. 

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

So he was 11th in efficiency in the nation last year, and was almost undefeated his rook year.

Who exactly did you want? Kiffin? lol

Stats like that are impressive when Freeman is doing them as DC at Cincy with subpar talent - which is why he earned his current role. Tell me we couldn't have done better in our OC pursuit than.. whatever the hell this is. And if you believe he is the offensive genius you think he is - with the talent put in front of him - great. Agree to disagree. I probably would've sought out someone who was.. I don't know.. innovative or deserving of the role. Or who had been a positional coach of any kind. Or who was a talented player in college.

You've watched the same 2 games I have - and tell me you aren't just as frustrated as me.. and you believe in Tommy "4 hairs short of a real mustache" Rees. 

11 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

We finally have speed, Faith.. and this dude is just squandering it away. I've seen 1 screen (fsu) and 0 counters so far. How is this possible? That's where we should eat. 

Watched the game today at a buddy's place with a group of Irish fans.. asked them after the final whistle - have you seen any remarkable plays on offense so far that weren't made by the players? Crickets. 

We never show much offensively early vs teams like Toledo. The game plan was very conservative as most expected. The first scripted drive was great. At the end when we needed to push the ball, we did.

Last week, the offensive numbers we put up were great except for the running, which was OL impacted. 

1 minute ago, Rattlesnake said:

Stats like that are impressive when Freeman is doing them as DC at Cincy with subpar talent - which is why he earned his current role. Tell me we couldn't have done better in our OC pursuit than.. whatever the hell this is. And if you believe he is the offensive genius you think he is - with the talent put in front of him - great. Agree to disagree. I probably would've sought out someone who was.. I don't know.. innovative or deserving of the role. Or who had been a positional coach of any kind. Or who was a talented player in college.

You've watched the same 2 games I have - and tell me you aren't just as frustrated as me.. and you believe in Tommy "4 hairs short of a real mustache" Rees. 

I fully expected the D to struggle early with a new DC and scheme, and the fact we returned only 3 starters. 

I'm not saying Reesus is a genius. I'm saying he was near top 10 in efficiency last year, and was undefeated in the regular season. That's a great year one by any measuring stick. Again, who did you want that was available?

I'm frustrated too with two close games, but I tempered my expectations to begin the season knowing we didn't return many starters, were likely to take a step back on the OL, had a new QB, and a new scheme on D. Lots of change.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We never show much offensively early vs teams like Toledo. The game plan was very conservative as most expected. The first scripted drive was great. At the end when we needed to push the ball, we did.

Last week, the offensive numbers we put up were great except for the running, which was OL impacted. 

I fully expected the D to struggle early with a new DC and scheme, and the fact we returned only 3 starters. 

I'm not saying Reesus is a genius. I'm saying he was near top 10 in efficiency last year, and was undefeated in the regular season. That's a great year one by any measuring stick. Again, who did you want that was available?

I'm frustrated too with two close games, but I tempered my expectations to begin the season knowing we didn't return many starters, were likely to take a step back on the OL, had a new QB, and a new scheme on D. Lots of change.

I just googled TR and I swear to God - I had no idea he was our qb coach for a couple years before being named OC. My bad. However, I think that speaks to just how forgettable this man is. He is George Michael's gf "Egg" from Arrested Development. A loaf of bread in the cooler with a hole in the plastic casing where the melted ice seeps through. That is what I equate him to. Wet bread. Who do I pick as my OC? Someone with any sort of spark/track record - and if I was tasked with such a search, and the time/payment to do so - I can't imagine I would've landed on ol' soggy rye as my number 1. 

5 hours ago, Rattlesnake said:

I just googled TR and I swear to God - I had no idea he was our qb coach for a couple years before being named OC. My bad. However, I think that speaks to just how forgettable this man is. He is George Michael's gf "Egg" from Arrested Development. A loaf of bread in the cooler with a hole in the plastic casing where the melted ice seeps through. That is what I equate him to. Wet bread. Who do I pick as my OC? Someone with any sort of spark/track record - and if I was tasked with such a search, and the time/payment to do so - I can't imagine I would've landed on ol' soggy rye as my number 1. 

So we were 10th in P5 teams for total offense YPG, and 11th in efficiency last year.

May I ask what we need to rank for you to be happy? 

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake said:

You sold me. Consider this wagon hitched to the ascending rocketship that is Tommy Rees. 

It felt like 2013 Tommy Rees football  yesterday, with Coan never keeping on what looks like read options but aren’t. Consequently, the running backs get run down by backside pursuit, just like they did when Rees was QB

I’ve never understood the logic of “not showing our cards early in the season” against teams like Toledo. It’s like, who are we trying to fooL later with our super secret awesome plays?

Had we lost to Toledo, would we be relieved cuz we still have super secret plays to show USC or Cinci?

Theres 30+ years of tape on Kelly offenses and over a year on Tommy’s offense. Do we really think there is some magic witch craft plays we’re holding onto for good teams? How come we haven’t used them against Bama and Clemson in the past?

Fact is our offensive game planning and structure is what it is. Problem is we’re not very good at it this year. Our OL, unless we improve drastically, will neuter our success all year. We’ve scraped by two average/bad teams.

The problem isn’t so much the Xs and Os, it’s more the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s…

We have to rethink the offense to take into account a poor OL.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

I’ve never understood the logic of “not showing our cards early in the season” against teams like Toledo. It’s like, who are we trying to fooL later with our super secret awesome plays?

Had we lost to Toledo, would we be relieved cuz we still have super secret plays to show USC or Cinci?

Theres 30+ years of tape on Kelly offenses and over a year on Tommy’s offense. Do we really think there is some magic witch craft plays we’re holding onto for good teams? How come we haven’t used them against Bama and Clemson in the past?

Fact is our offensive game planning and structure is what it is. Problem is we’re not very good at it this year. Our OL, unless we improve drastically, will neuter our success all year. We’ve scraped by two average/bad teams.

The problem isn’t so much the Xs and Os, it’s more the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s…

We have to rethink the offense to take into account a poor OL.

Yup. But still, most teams don't share their cards early.

I think it's both Xs and Os and Jimmy's and Joe's... 

Just need to adjust so they fit each other.

Rees is not the problem. 

This offense smells like Brian Kelly's fingers are all over it. Quick game perimeter runs passes etc. 

When TR called the bowl game against Iowa state he pounded the ball and pounded the rock some more. They ran it really well last year. 

Either his hands are tied because the OL sucks and/or Brian Kelly is trying to modify the offense to suit his liking and the line does not get practice with the down-hill style running attack so they're soft. 

Soft as shit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Cheers (+1) 1