Fire Quinn

ndomer4

This is the first year all of Harrys guys are gone and to me it is clearly showing. We are weaker, smaller and softer. The LT situation is probably the worst its been since ive been a fan. Didnt realize how important Blake Fisher truly was to this team. Very little hope that Baker gains agility and strength during the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

This is the first year all of Harrys guys are gone and to me it is clearly showing. We are weaker, smaller and softer. The LT situation is probably the worst its been since ive been a fan. Didnt realize how important Blake Fisher truly was to this team. Very little hope that Baker gains agility and strength during the year. 

The softer comment rings loud to me. Harry's nastiness seemed to permeate the demeanor of the OL. Not so much these days.

40 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

Not upset when we’re trotting out a third string left tackle… it is what it is right now… 

Tosh Baker was a borderline five star…. If they can’t get him ready at this point in his career it’s coaching and development. 

Carmody is no scrub either and neither are any of the other starters but they all looked terrible. When was the last time a team that recruited like us on the offensive line got dominated by a MAC team? Probably the Ball State debacle. 

Also the linemen who got drafted had more to do with Harry’s recruiting than Quinn’s ‘coaching’. 

As of now, tommy has to completely reinvent the offense to account for a poor OL. No way around it. Buchner was the first step in that as BK admitted. Slow forming run plays, draws, plays that rely on sustained blocks need to be ripped out of the playbook. 

need to get the ball out of the qbs hands fast, get to playmakers on the edge. 

bubble screens should be a staple at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Keep Quinn.   My starting OL for game 3 is LT Patterson, LG Spindler, C Correll, RG Maiden & RT Lugg.  Quinn puts ND OL in the NFL.  I think there have been some misses on OL that he's recruited and combined with the players that graduated, they are struggling.  

Harry put OL in the NFL too. Several first rounders and All Pro / Pro Bowl guys. 

And let's not forget, the 3 that got drafted last year were Harry's recruits.

1 hour ago, 4thand1 said:

Keep Quinn.   My starting OL for game 3 is LT Patterson, LG Spindler, C Correll, RG Maiden & RT Lugg.  Quinn puts ND OL in the NFL.  I think there have been some misses on OL that he's recruited and combined with the players that graduated, they are struggling.  

I am good with this. Patterson did a bang up job today I think he is a great talent.

Quinn absolutely must go.  I can live with a young line that makes assignment mistakes.  What I can't live with is a line that doesn't fire off the ball and is not aggressive.  They come off the ball and catch instead of deliver the blow.  This is why they are getting blown up.  

The biggest loss from this team this year was Chris Watt.  Even though he was a graduate assistant, he had a great influence over that line last year.  He brought an aggressive mentality that he was teaching these guys.  Now he is Tulane's Oline coach.  In my opinion huge loss.  

He leaves and these guys revert to a soft mentality.  

2 hours ago, soulpatch said:

Ha ha ha. Recalling that time around '13 when there was so much hand-wringing about Heistand's oline's inability to get the tough yards. This oline is a mess right now, but calling for Quinn to be fired is more about expressing frustrations than solving the problem.

So true.  Haha. Go back and watch Harry’s teams. Yea he recruited well, but they were just as soft. Any team that was a top 50 defense manhandled Harry’s lines. But it’s fun to forget as time flies. 
Anyways, I’m with Rocket. This year doesn’t feel like our year. So many guys with little or no experience this time around. This has to be one of BK’s worst experienced teams he’s ever had. 
something like 18 career starts as while on the line today. Hart was a receiver who moved to corner. Lewis is in his second year. New Defense and coordinator with a new system that doesn’t fit yet. 
New qb with receivers who have barely seen the field. 
I mean, this start shouldn’t surprise anybody. Where’s your stars at?  Hamilton, Williams and Austin. That’s about it right now. A lot to build on but there’s going to be a lot of growing pains this year. 

2 hours ago, soulpatch said:

Ha ha ha. Recalling that time around '13 when there was so much hand-wringing about Heistand's oline's inability to get the tough yards. This oline is a mess right now, but calling for Quinn to be fired is more about expressing frustrations than solving the problem.

Harry didn't get to ND till 2012. Didn't take him long to churn out some great guys. Prior to Harry, don't think we had a 1st round OL taken in the draft going back at least 10 years. Since he left, no 1st rounders.

• 2014 -
    • 1st round OT Z Martin (ProBowl/AllPro)
    • 3R G Watt
  • 2016 -
    • 1st round OT R Stanley and PB/AP
    • 2nd round C N Martin. 
    • 1st round Q Nelsonn PB/AP
    • 1st round M McGlenchey

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Harry didn't get to ND till 2012. Didn't take him long to churn out some great guys. Prior to Harry, don't think we had a 1st round OL taken in the draft going back at least 10 years. Since he left, no 1st rounders.

• 2014 -
    • 1st round OT Z Martin (ProBowl/AllPro)
    • 3R G Watt
  • 2016 -
    • 1st round OT R Stanley and PB/AP
    • 2nd round C N Martin. 
    • 1st round Q Nelsonn PB/AP
    • 1st round M McGlenchey

Yes but if you watched the games, Warriners OL could run on first down when teams were expecting you to run. They could push people around with the likes of Braxton Cave etc. 

They were also very effective with pin and pull runs when they couldn't push people around. 

Harry didn't run much pin and pull(except for bowl game vs LSU) and just tried to out-physical teams and they couldn't do that very effectively although they would keep the QBs really clean. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JTennant said:

Yes but if you watched the games, Warriners OL could run on first down when teams were expecting you to run. They could push people around with the likes of Braxton Cave etc. 

They were also very effective with pin and pull runs when they couldn't push people around. 

Harry didn't run much pin and pull(except for bowl game vs LSU) and just tried to out-physical teams and they couldn't do that very effectively although they would keep the QBs really clean. 

Warriner was there 2 years (2010 and 2011).

In 2012, we had more yards and a better AVG.

I agree different styles/concepts, but Harry had better results in year 1 compared to Warinners 2 years.