Utilizing Buchner's Strengths

Would be agreeable to seeing Tyler Buchner 5 plays a game this season?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would be agreeable to seeing Tyler Buchner 5 plays a game this season?

• yes
    • no
    • depends on the game situation,

Now that the Formality of Naming a starter is over. I hope the staff finds ways to use Tyler Buchner as a playmaker at QB.

They used Chris Tyree last year even though Kyren Williams had a breakout year

It is my opinion that as long as the Irish have a VERY CAPABLE AND COMMITED 2nd QB in Drew Pyne, It would waste Buchners talent to only utilize him in the traditional back-up QB role

In the Spring Game we saw Buchner can Run and Throw but to this point needs to improve his accuracy.

I would take his 5 best plays and make it a requirement that those 5 plays or 5 plays that utilize Buchners strengths be called in every gameplan this year.

40 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I do not really see it happening. Garbage time will be taken by Pyne while Buchner gets a redshirt.

I don't Know though. Kelly is getting to the point where its  not that long until he retires. When does he stop planning for next year and sell out to win now? Is Buchner really a 5 year kid if his career goes well? I think they are treating Kyle Hamilton like he's a senior now(Captain) because they expect him to be a 3 year guy.

I guess we will find out if the staff thinks of Buchner the same way they do Hamilton or not,

• Flames (+1) 1

I think this works if a QB has one exceptional trait, like an extremely fast Qb. I don’t think Buchner is like that and it would be destructive for Coan to take him out after he’s led the team down the field. If Buchner can’t beat out Coan, he should get garbage minutes till he’s ready to be the starter. 

Edited by Frankus
  • Like (+1) 2

I could see it going either way.  I tend to think he redshirts.  But if the staff is serious about potentially starting him next year, he sure needs to play at least some this year for sure.  I would strive for 4 or less to preserve the redshirt. 

From what I saw of that shirt clip.  
He reminds me of Drue Brees. The style of throwing off the back foot and with some precision. I saw two different throws where it look like he was going left and came back right. Very nice look. Smalller than what I thought and has somewhat of the old school funky Fran Tarkington snap three step drop. Where not a lot of bounce and almost feet together. I like the fact that he looked like he knew where he wanted to throw the ball and looked confident enough to do it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Coan isn't the best choice if the OL is going to struggle. Tough break for him.  I do Coan would be good if he had more time to throw.  Buchner is the future and the way it looks, it's probably better to get started now.  Also, maybe Buchner burning a year of eligibility this year means they get a top 2023 QB signed.

• Leprechaun (+1) 1

I watched the kid live.  He was faster than Toledo’s linebackers, but those 15 yard runs would be 3 against better competition. He’s got a long way to go from a physical development standpoint, but will eventually get there. He does not have a particularly strong arm. He’s a quicker version of Book. It’s a pity that the O-line sucks so bad. Coan has a big arm, but it won’t matter since we can’t run with him under center. 

3 hours ago, Frankus said:

I watched the kid live.  He was faster than Toledo’s linebackers, but those 15 yard runs would be 3 against better competition. He’s got a long way to go from a physical development standpoint, but will eventually get there. He does not have a particularly strong arm. He’s a quicker version of Book. It’s a pity that the O-line sucks so bad. Coan has a big arm, but it won’t matter since we can’t run with him under center. 

Got to agree with you about Buchner yards would only be 3 instead of 15. 
when Buchner is in it reminds me of Michigan and Devon Kenard and that offense. Which I hated. Such a gimmicky offense for such a blue blood team. RPO give to rb, fake to him and qb go and watch to see if the receiver is open. It’s such small ball offense that works for teams that can’t recruit elite receivers and olines. Oh well. It is what it is this year. I say keep both guys going for the rest of the year. 

Coan's arm strength is average, perhaps a touch above average. Buchner might beat most in a 40 yard foot race, but I don't see him being very elusive against a top flight D.

Above average QB play with a terrible OL is gonna be bad news the more film UND puts out the more these other teams are going to be licking their chops. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, coltssb said:

Got to agree with you about Buchner yards would only be 3 instead of 15. 
when Buchner is in it reminds me of Michigan and Devon Kenard and that offense. Which I hated. Such a gimmicky offense for such a blue blood team. RPO give to rb, fake to him and qb go and watch to see if the receiver is open. It’s such small ball offense that works for teams that can’t recruit elite receivers and olines. Oh well. It is what it is this year. I say keep both guys going for the rest of the year. 

Alabama ran RPO concepts with Steve Sarkisian last year.