Notre Dame Home Opener Exclusively On Peacock

Haven't posted in a long time, but this news really has me upset.  In order to watch the home opener against Toledo, you will need to have a premium subscription to Peacock, as the game will not air on NBC.  Not sure how the contract works with NBC, and I certainly don't expect anything more than greed from them, but this feels like a pretty big slap in the face from Notre Dame as well.

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/football/2021/08/04/notre-dame-football-home-opener-streamed-exclusively-peacock-premium/5485142001/

Utter crap. I guess I won’t be watching  the home opener. First one I will miss in decades but there is no way I will be apart of encouraging another system to pay to be shown commercials for hours. The whole point of streaming services is to get away from commercials. Maybe I’m wrong and they won’t show commercials and  the game will only take 2 hours to play. You guys will have to let me know.

3 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

What about Canadians who don’t get that channel???

I believe the expression our parents used was "TS". 🤷‍♂️

Seriously, it's a real middle finger to the (not inconsiderable) ND international fan base

3 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I believe this might be the first topic that there is actually unanimous board agreement on.😂

Lol….you are right for once ( just Kidding). I don’t think this is right either. I’ll be fortunate enough to be able to attend the game myself but I know lots of people that depend on watching it on TV. I can’t imagine that ND did not have a say in this decision. It’s all about greed from corporate America to the catholic universities. This game might only be a test but you know if they are testing it there more greed to come.

How do you define greed…?  Providing profit to shareholders that you’re legally obligated to provide?  Because that’s NBC’s job.  It’s not greed - it’s pursuing the most efficient means possible to make money.  Our brand is diluted because everybody has access to television coverage now - that’s a fact.

I just wrote the President and Swarbrick to voice my displeasure. Wonder if I get a response.

I know a few years ago there was another game similar to this and they offered a link on the university hone page for international viewers…hoping they will do this again.

1 hour ago, irishwavend said:

How do you define greed…?  Providing profit to shareholders that you’re legally obligated to provide?  Because that’s NBC’s job.  It’s not greed - it’s pursuing the most efficient means possible to make money.  Our brand is diluted because everybody has access to television coverage now - that’s a fact.

I’d pay for an online package if it would guarantee me every game.

I am sure the fact Swarbrick's daughter is a V.P. for Peacock has nothing to do with this decision. 

Oh and his son having an executive job at Under Armor is not anything to look at either. 

Edited by cali_domer
  • Cheers (+1) 1

7 hours ago, irishwavend said:

I should have made my point clearer. It’s not NBC’s greed I am surprised with or find fault with in  this case. It is OUR University that I am disappointed in. Notre Dame at one time was a school for ALL people not just catholic or Irish OR THE WEALTHY. Now by worshiping the almighty $  it is acting like a corporation. One that yes I donate to but I have never been given any stocks or received any $ dividends…..hmmm 

Edited by ND_JACK

4 hours ago, ndmike88 said:

It's all about $$$. ND is no different than any other school when $$$ is involved.

My only gripe with this is that this program already is a money machine. I don't have a problem with them making their money, I have a problem when an organization tries to squeeze every last drop of cash from their customers. They make $112 million a year in revenue from football alone.  This is just greed at it's most blatant.

2 hours ago, GunSlinger said:

The best way to counter this move is don't watch the game.  Business is business and that's what all this is.  I'll probably just listen on the radio, game should be over by half anyways.  

That is 100% my plan.  It always kills me to miss a game, but now is the time to push back on this nonsense.  If this drives streams, more important games will be Peacock exclusive in the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Trophy (+1) 1

Not a fan of this but at $4.99 it’s much cheaper than going to the game and if I can access the game anytime during my subscription even better.  Can watch it after whatever kid activity will take priority that day.

Also, I’ll be watching to see what deal for the season they release on the 11th.

• Like (+1) 1