2023 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

2 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

No offense to Gray’s graphics person, but I thought the announcement was July 29 based on the way he’s positioned 

I agree with you. I thought it was just me because I hadn’t had my first cup of morning coffee….lol

3 hours ago, Synoptico said:

Im sure recruiting reporters LOOOOVE all these announcements over a holiday weekend. 

My guess is that the reporters basically  already know their choices and they are just waiting to press submit on their pre-written articles.

1 hour ago, nd_irish said:

My guess is that the reporters basically  already know their choices and they are just waiting to press submit on their pre-written articles.

I agree agree but no work >some work

They still need to post them, tweet it etc etc

Posted (edited)

Part 1, Where does ND stand now

ND had every top prospect visit this spring. Only M'Pemba has an OV in the fall but he still made it to ND earlier this year. That is huge. ND sits at 15 verbal commits that all appear solid to very solid right now. ND has not expanded the board outwardly with regard to any position right now. I expect ND to head into the fall with only a couple of open spots to fill for this recruiting class. As of now only 3 ND prospects plan to take their recruitment into the fall and one is an unknown. As of today, I would expect ND to have a top 5 class without a QB and not landing M'Pemba or Downs. I am not saying they won't add anyone at QB or M'Pemba or Downs, just not including them right now.

QB: ND seems to still be waiting on Moore and the potential for Carr to reclassify. I think the preference/lean is for Carr to stay in 2024 but if feels like there is room for adjustment there. ND has not outwardly moved on any other 2023 QBs, Guys like Avery Johnson and Brock Glenn are likely to decide soon. 

RB: Love or Young. Love seems more probable but Young really seems like a good fit at ND. Both have taken all OVs as of this coming weekend. I lean toward them landing Love but things have gotten tighter with all the big schools jumping in.

WR: The goal is to land Hanafin, Flores, and Greathouse. Manning and Elzy are the next tier but it doesn't seem like anything will happen there. Manning has used his visits and Elzy has never quite felt like he would end up at ND. Is Micah Tease a backup option or maybe even a 5th WR/ATH option now?

OL: I would bet on ND taking 5 and Jagusah being that guy. Freeling maybe, but I just don't think that makes sense for all parties at the end of the day.

DL: Only Jason Moore left right now and what a class that would be. ND is in the top 2 if not the top right now. Seems like he picks ND or stays near home.

LB: Ausberry and M'Pemba. Status quo here, both are hard pulls from the south. ND at the top tier for both.

CB: Must land Gray and Bell, which I think they will. Wagoner becomes a great luxury. Simpson-Hunt didn't want to decommit from TT so I doubt he ever visits. 

S: Keep the current two and hope Downs decides to make the ND secondary elite. They are in it but UGA, OSU, and Alabama will have something to say.

Updated commitment timelines:

MI QB Dante Moore: Who knows, supposedly summer still

FL RB Richard Young: Possibly summer

MO RB Jeremiyah Love: Possibly summer

TX WR Jaden Greathouse: Summer

CA WR Rico Flores: Summer, July 3

MA WR Ronan Hanafin: Summer

SC OL Monroe Freeling: Fall

IL OL Charles Jagusah: Summer now it sounds

MD DL Jason Moore: Summer, July

LA LB Jaiden Ausberry: Fall/Winter, December

FL LB Samuel M'Pemba: Fall/Winter

MO CB Christian Gray: Summer, July 4

TX CB Micah Bell: Summer, July 1

WA CB Jasiah Wagoner: Summer

GA S Caleb Downs: Summer

OK ATH Micah Tease: Unknown

Edited by Big23Head

Posted (edited)

Part 2, The Last Summer Push

ND does not have any visitors this weekend, but there are a lot visiting elsewhere. If ND can survive this last push, I think the next few weeks will be very positive. 

ND Targets Visiting Elsewhere (June 24)

FL RB Richard Young [Oregon]

MO RB Jeremiyah Love [Alabama]

CA WR Rico Flores [OSU]

MA WR Ronan Hanafin [BC]

SC OL Monroe Freeling [Miami]

MD DL Jason Moore [OSU]

LA LB Jaiden Ausberry [Michigan]

OK CB Micah Tease [MSU]

WA CB Jasiah Wagoner [California]

MO CB Christian Gray [OSU]

GA S Caleb Downs [OSU]

Edited by Big23Head

33 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Simpson-Hunt didn't want to decommit from TT so I doubt he ever visits. 

Is that the staffs philosophy on guys committed elsewhere, have to decommit to take a visit?

That appears to be the case right now. If he was a top 25 prospects well we will have to wait and see on that.

26 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Visit update...sounds likes

MO CB Christian Gray [OSU]

BTW I think ND has 6-7 commits waiting to announce...2023 and 2024

Will be curious if flores makes the trip... would not shock me if that cancelled... both because of him and both because, well, osu wr is bonkers

44 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Will be curious if flores makes the trip... would not shock me if that cancelled... both because of him and both because, well, osu wr is bonkers

The crazy thing is Ohio State is starting to go the Lincoln Riley philosophy. Load up on skill and try and beat you that way. Let’s hope ND is really getting nasty on the lines and we push them around. 

Big - so Gray and Flores both canceled their OSU visits?  If so, that should bode really well for ND.

For Ausberry, I think we're trending much better than hard to pull from the south.  I think we land him.

Did Greathouse move his timeline up?  I thought he last said he wants to go into the season and see how the teams look on the field?

Hearing that another school might have said something about ND that negatively impacted their recruitment of Freeling.  Details weren't shared other than to say it's not NIL related.  Does anyone know what this is about??  Hearing it wasn't a complete deal breaker for ND but a setback.  

19 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Hearing that another school might have said something about ND that negatively impacted their recruitment of Freeling.  Details weren't shared other than to say it's not NIL related.  Does anyone know what this is about??  Hearing it wasn't a complete deal breaker for ND but a setback.  

I am also interested in what’s going on here.

https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dame-fighting-irish/news/notre-dame-earns-commitment-2023-preferred-kicker-marcello-diomede-brian-mason/

Just saw that a kid from our local HS committed as a PWO as a '23 kicker.  Have seen him play many times and he's pretty consistent from medium distance, but didn't realize he had a big leg.  Will be interesting to see how he does.

4 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

I doubt anyone else knows the inside scoop. Be patient. Driskell will share it when freeling commits. I’m assuming that’s where you got the info. 

5 hours ago, Domers23 said:

I doubt anyone else knows the inside scoop. Be patient. Driskell will share it when freeling commits. I’m assuming that’s where you got the info. 

Im not sure Freeling commits. I think there is only one OL spot left and not sure he gets it

3 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Wiltfong with CB for Dante Moore to Oregon.

Would love to have seen how it would have played out in another parallel universe, but also been burned by the too many eggs in one basket to be upset