I guess he watched what happened to guys like McKinley and decided that he didn't want to wait 4 years to get an opportunity. Best of luck to him. 

1 minute ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I know he missed a few spring practices. I honestly think he played Saturday not a ton but he played.

he had the screen pass play called for him but he decided to block instead of turn and catch the screen

#1 player out of missouri and 28th in the country in his recruiting class.  Why is it when these players goto ohio st, clemson, bama, georgia, etc they get playing time young and flourish but when they come to nd they ride the pine for 3 years before getting an opportunity.  Kelly always seems to favor experience over talent which is why we will never beat the big boys.  Total failure by kelly and staff on yet another top notch recruit and reeks of small timiness by kelly.  Frustrating as hell. 

1 hour ago, ObieKnobbe said:

#1 player out of missouri and 28th in the country in his recruiting class.  Why is it when these players goto ohio st, clemson, bama, georgia, etc they get playing time young and flourish but when they come to nd they ride the pine for 3 years before getting an opportunity.  Kelly always seems to favor experience over talent which is why we will never beat the big boys.  Total failure by kelly and staff on yet another top notch recruit and reeks of small timiness by kelly.  Frustrating as hell. 

they get more 5 stars so its less likely you hear about the ones that don't work out. If he transfers to one of the schools you mentioned and starts, please feel free to hold me accountable for this post.

• Like (+1) 2
1 hour ago, ObieKnobbe said:

Why is it when these players goto ohio st, clemson, bama, georgia, etc they get playing time young and flourish but when they come to nd they ride the pine for 3 years before getting an opportunity.  

All of these teams have 5-stars that don't pan out (We just had a former 5-star safety from OSU join us last year after an unremarkable career there). Additionally, we have young kids that earn playing time every year (hamilton, tyree, mayer, etc.). Anecdotally, I would share a concern that we're not A) getting enough 5stars and B) not getting enough of them to produce. But, I would dispute that ND is someone is a major outlier amongst blue-chips when it comes to this. 

• Like (+1) 1
Posted (edited)

Why does Kelly appear so reluctant to play underclassmen WRs? Is his offense that difficult to grasp for that position or is he recruiting untalented players? He has yet to score more than 14 points in four play-off games. Is this because he is using walk-ons, former QBs, and transfers to fill starting roles at WR?

Kelly boasted about having a single WR get drafted in past four years (none in the first round BTW). Did anyone tell him it is not against the rules to have more than one WR get drafted in a year?

Edited by jbrown_9999
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Big23Head said:

Academics are a bit different at ND and they played a role here. Never completely clicked in.

Agree. There were issues in the classroom and that carried over to the field. Let's face it, not every recruit for ND can handle the academic load. After all, this is not Free Shoes U! Even his best bud, Kyreen Williams couldn't help him.

Edited by Jersey Irish
3 hours ago, soulpatch said:

All of these teams have 5-stars that don't pan out (We just had a former 5-star safety from OSU join us last year after an unremarkable career there). Additionally, we have young kids that earn playing time every year (hamilton, tyree, mayer, etc.). Anecdotally, I would share a concern that we're not A) getting enough 5stars and B) not getting enough of them to produce. But, I would dispute that ND is someone is a major outlier amongst blue-chips when it comes to this. 

I can almost guarantee the Ohio St kid was replaced by another 5 star recruit or one close to it.  Our receiver group wasn't full of 5 stars last year or this year replacing this kid.  Kelly would rather play a Finke than a young 5 star and play the safe route.  Why is it Bama and such get these young kids on the field for some wrinkles designed around them but with Kelly they have to know the whole playbook before getting any playing time?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:51 AM, mcgov12 said:

Complete and utter failure by the coaching staff on this one

Baloney.  This is the result of us recruiting at a higher level.  Guys have to compete or they're going to get surpassed.  It's the mark of a good program.  You either rise above yourself and take your seat at the table, or you don't...  It's on Johnson to get ready to play.

• Like (+1) 2
On 5/4/2021 at 5:07 PM, irishwavend said:

Baloney.  This is the result of us recruiting at a higher level.  Guys have to compete or they're going to get surpassed.  It's the mark of a good program.  You either rise above yourself and take your seat at the table, or you don't...  It's on Johnson to get ready to play.

28th ranked player in the nation didn't just forget how to compete.  He's gonna excel wherever he ends up and I don't blame him for leaving.  QB and WR are 2 positions at ND where elite talent comes to die.  

• Leprechaun (+1) 1
5 hours ago, echo88 said:

28th ranked player in the nation didn't just forget how to compete.  He's gonna excel wherever he ends up and I don't blame him for leaving.  QB and WR are 2 positions at ND where elite talent comes to die.  

You don’t forget...you just “don’t.”  Five stars are given on raw talent a lot of times, not whether you have everything else, too.  Look at Michael Oher.  Dude was a fat ass and not that great in HS.  Then, they had to light a fire under his ass at Ole Miss.  He had all the potential in the world, but he didn’t have everything when he arrived at college.  I can’t assume Johnson was a natural competitor.  Maybe he was a prima donna...  Maybe he was somewhere in between which just wasn't good enough...

• Like (+1) 1
22 hours ago, irishwavend said:

You don’t forget...you just “don’t.”  Five stars are given on raw talent a lot of times, not whether you have everything else, too.  Look at Michael Oher.  Dude was a fat ass and not that great in HS.  Then, they had to light a fire under his ass at Ole Miss.  He had all the potential in the world, but he didn’t have everything when he arrived at college.  I can’t assume Johnson was a natural competitor.  Maybe he was a prima donna...  Maybe he was somewhere in between which just wasn't good enough...

Yeah well...there is a such thing as busted talent.  And there is also a such thing as a HC with a decade's worth of propensity to field less talented players who have more time in his senselessly over-complicated offense.  The latter doesn't bode well for 5* offensive talent.  That's probably why he either avoids 5* players or they avoid him.  Teams that manage to make the CFP shouldn't have this problem.