• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

QB: 1A Coan 1B Pine: My opinion. Pyne throws a better deep ball. Coan has field vision, and experience. Watched Video 10. 1. Coan 2. Pyne. 3. Buchner 4. Powlus OL: "Both Fisher and Spindler are

I think ND has the players right now to be very very successful. IMO Rees is the key.  Hard to believe that he is ND's OC, but he is.  If he can design an offense to the strengths of the players,

I got to watch the Highlights.

• QB: Pyne had a very solid group of clips today. I still think it is  1A vs 1 B in favor  Coan BUT. . Not scared of playing the 2nd string QB whoever he is.
  • WR Lawrence Keys has had a great camp. I see if in EVERY highlight package
  •  WR Joe Wilkins is also in every video
  • Less of Braden Lenzy
  • Bo Bauer is in every video
  • Clarence Lewis intercepted Coan today
  • Kryen Williams catching lots of passes
  • Line today was. LT FISHER, LG  SPINDLER, C CORRELL, RG  KRISTOFIC, RT BAKER.. LUGG MIGHT OF GOTTEN A DAY OFF 
  • Like (+1) 1

I think ND has the players right now to be very very successful.

IMO Rees is the key.  Hard to believe that he is ND's OC, but he is.  If he can design an offense to the strengths of the players, if he can create a dynamic game plan for each opponent, and if he can make effective in-game adjustments, I believe ND will surprise people and maybe go 11-1 regular season.  

On offense, as it stands, I don't see that a major injury at one or two positions will derail things.  Depth is there.  I think the O-line will be good at the start of the season and excellent later in the season.  I'm a homer, for sure.  Too optimistic maybe.

ND was very successful with Book.  I believe ND can be at least as successful with the QB's on the team right now, even if one goes down.  I loved Book but believe Pyne will be better and Coan could be better.  IF Rees can modify the offense to fit these guys.

Rees, to me, is the key to the entire season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Flames (+1) 2
6 hours ago, jimbo said:

I realize we're only seeing pretty short clips from the practices, but Drew Pyne throws a really nice ball.

I keep reading how Coan stays in the pocket and looks downfield. I know very knowledgeable people love that in a QB. I personally don’t care if a QB stands in the pocket. I want a QB who can consistently drive the team down the field to score. However that gets done. If a guy who takes a sack per drive because he stays in the pocket is able to move the team to score consistently, that’s the guy I want. If a QB who can’t see over the Oline and has to role out consistently moves the team to score, that’s the guy I want. 
Just score baby. However you do it. 
I like Pyne. Voted for him in the QB poll. He throws a nice ball, and in the videos it seems to me fewer of his passes are intercepted or broken up than Coan’s. I realize we’re only seeing three minute clips so who really knows?

9 hours ago, Kelly Gruene said:

I keep reading how Coan stays in the pocket and looks downfield. I know very knowledgeable people love that in a QB. I personally don’t care if a QB stands in the pocket. I want a QB who can consistently drive the team down the field to score. However that gets done. If a guy who takes a sack per drive because he stays in the pocket is able to move the team to score consistently, that’s the guy I want. If a QB who can’t see over the Oline and has to role out consistently moves the team to score, that’s the guy I want. 
I like Pyne. Voted for him in the QB poll. He throws a nice ball, and in the videos it seems to me fewer of his passes are intercepted or broken up than Coan’s. I realize we’re only seeing three minute clips so who really knows?

Its a matter of timing. 80-90 percent of pass plays are designed for the QB to release the ball, protected by 5 lineman in the pocket. When the QB can't see he has to leave the protection of the pocket and be a target for linebackers in the open field. Now in Book's case with 4.59 speed he was faster then most linebackers in the country, except Bama's and Clemsons

Book had the confidence in his legs that if it was a tight throw he prefer to use his legs and wait for a bigger window.

Problem was when he got to linebackers that could beat him around the corner(were faster) he had not had enough confidence in his pocket passing to win that way. When a QB waits too long to decide the routes are over and the only thing he has left is a throw to the sideline.

So yes all sorts of QBs win, but if a QB can't win from home(the confines of the pocket.) he's in trouble.

12 hours ago, Kelly Gruene said:

one more example I found. Kelly, you always make very good posts, thank you! 

"the redzone is about decision making, throwing the ball ,on time, trusting your receivers. we were good on the crossing (drive route to the TE) when we had a miss match, when we need to make a read and trust it, not so much" Later he said both Qbs now are better at reads, veiled shot at Book not trusting the playbook, or not making the read, whatever we would call it.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:18 PM, FaithInIrishForever said:

one more example I found. Kelly, you always make very good posts, thank you! 

"the redzone is about decision making, throwing the ball ,on time, trusting your receivers. we were good on the crossing (drive route to the TE) when we had a miss match, when we need to make a read and trust it, not so much" Later he said both Qbs now are better at reads, veiled shot at Book not trusting the playbook, or not making the read, whatever we would call it.

Can’t complain that if you’re wife was hotter then you would be in a better relationship?  He chose Book and that’s the bed he has to lie in.  Can’t take shots after the fact. 

12 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Can’t complain that if you’re wife was hotter then you would be in a better relationship?  He chose Book and that’s the bed he has to lie in.  Can’t take shots after the fact. 

Book was the ultimate, "No. No. Yes" QB for any coach. Rarely ran the play as he got older but he WON ALOT. Coaches ultimately get annoyed when players especially Qbs make their own play instead of staying in the pocket and reading it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...