45 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Not sure how the effects ND. I do think a lot of the players sign up for the degree, so it could be beneficial idk. I can only imagine this hurts the big name programs though. A 5 star sophomore DE sitting on the Alabama bench, could easily get a call from Auburn with a guaranteed start. Not sure all the parameters, but it sounds like someone could get told they are not starting in August and enroll right away at a different school. Crazy, throw the red shirt out the window.

Edited by Jim2Dokes
14 minutes ago, Jim2Dokes said:

Not sure how the effects ND. I do think a lot of the players sign up for the degree, so it could be beneficial idk. I can only imagine this hurts the big name programs though. A 5 star sophomore DE sitting on the Alabama bench, could easily get a call from Auburn with a guaranteed start.

I think a few more players transfer out each year. Increasing the size of recruiting classes and the number of mid-year freshman.

Faith, I agree this will affect everyone but some programs more than others.  It might make 25-28 man classes fairly common. It's probably going to force coaches to stay really connected with players so they see these things coming ahead of time and plan for them. The increases to staff we've already seen could continue with analysts managing the transfer portal daily.

I got to agree with throwing the red shirt out the window. No reason to save a year of eligibility if they going to leave anyhow. The freshman might not be starters but Coaches will want to show the young kids some love and give them playing time....the hell with red shirting.

• Like (+1) 1