Jump to content

Introduce Yourself


Mike
 Share

Recommended Posts

As the season draws nearer, I'm hoping to see new people finding the message board. Whether they've been a quiet reader for years, just hopped over from another community, or are new Notre Dame fans/alum, everyone is welcome.

There's a great group of regulars here, even if the off-season, so don't hesitate to stop in and say hi!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Been a member since 2012. Love the sporting  insight provided by so many knowledgeable posters. Love the passion. People often don’t agree, and it can get heated, but that’s part of the fun. 
I used to post a lot on the forum but stopped. Found it to be too much like Facebook. Too many people trying to change other peoples’ minds but never changing anyone’s mind. On FB people just unfriend each other. I believe I’d like almost everyone who posts on DomerDomain, but the forum often goes too dark and becomes too deeply personally insulting for me. And, I don’t really have the time to pull a lot of references; just too time-consuming. 
I now stick more with the sporting side of things and leave the political debates to others.  It’s ND sports that brought me to DD, and that what keeps me coming back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kelly Gruene said:

Been a member since 2012. Love the sporting  insight provided by so many knowledgeable posters. Love the passion. People often don’t agree, and it can get heated, but that’s part of the fun. 
I used to post a lot on the forum but stopped. Found it to be too much like Facebook. Too many people trying to change other peoples’ minds but never changing anyone’s mind. On FB people just unfriend each other. I believe I’d like almost everyone who posts on DomerDomain, but the forum often goes too dark and becomes too deeply personally insulting for me. And, I don’t really have the time to pull a lot of references; just too time-consuming. 
I now stick more with the sporting side of things and leave the political debates to others.  It’s ND sports that brought me to DD, and that what keeps me coming back. 

Hi Kelly! Thanks for the introduction! 

I have dealt with a similar issues on another forum that I'm a frequent reader of. Reader, not much of a poster, for the same reasons. It's important to leave discussions open, but to recognize when it goes from a discussion to a battle that nobody is going to win. I have a couple ideas in mind and how to do combat that, such as a lightly-moderated area where politics and controversial subjects can be discussed. And that is likely where threads that spiral out of control would be sent. But there's not room for a lot of toxicity in the main forums. I'd like to keep that to a minimum. Still not ready to make changes with that yet, but I want to make sure to have some measures in place.

I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to getting to know you and other members better :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm Brian,

Here's our bios thread over the years.

I live my life with Cerebral Palsy. I use a wheelchair for mobility. That doesn't stop me. I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science from Susquehanna University. I work a local non profit here in Central PA teaching self-advocacy. Been an Irish fan since '93(Ron Powlus Sr's commitment made me turn the game on as a 9 year old)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2021 at 12:50 PM, FaithInIrishForever said:

I'm Brian,

Here's our bios thread over the years.

I live my life with Cerebral Palsy. I use a wheelchair for mobility. That doesn't stop me. I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science from Susquehanna University. I work a local non profit here in Central PA teaching self-advocacy. Been an Irish fan since '93(Ron Powlus Sr's commitment made me turn the game on as a 9 year old)

 

Powlus was my favorite player when I became a young fan in the early 90s around the age of 8-9-10.  My first ND jersey was a Champion #3 jersey.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello all.  My name is Justin and I have been a Domer Domain member since 2013.  I am active duty U.S. Air Force and have been in 20+ years.  I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, and have worked on the F-15 and F-16.  My most recent job is as the International Military Student Officer (IMSO) and Additional Duty First Sergeant for the 81st Fighter Squadron at Moody AFB, GA.  There, we train foreign student pilots and maintainers on the A-29 Super Tucano light weight attack aircraft.

I am married to a wonderful woman named Jen and we have been married for going on 17 years, but have been together for going on 20 years.  We have two children, one boy and one girl named Brayden, 13, and Briana, 8, respectively.  I have two associates degrees, one in aircraft maintenance and the other as an aircraft maintenance instructor.  I also have a bachelors in business management from Boise State University and a graduate degree in project management from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

It was meeting my wife that got me into football and what made me a Notre Dame fan.  Growing up, I never cared much for watching football.  I was more in to basketball.  Again, after meeting her in 2001, and being around her family of die hard Notre Dame fans, I started watching football with them and I got sucked in.  Basically, it was the 2005 football season when I really started watching and I’ve been a huge fan since, in just about all Notre Dame sports, and not just football.

I love coming to Domer Domain and reading what everyone has to say, even if I don’t agree.  I like to comment here and there though, but I don’t too often.  Still, it’s such a great site, and even better now that it has been upgraded.

I look forward to taking with all of you more.  Go Irish!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My name is Matt and I’m in eastern PA, lived mostly along the Allentown-Philly corridor but also spent time out in the Harrisburg area. Lifelong Irish fan, family are all huge fans and our Saturdays revolve around the games in the fall.

Earliest memories I have of ND is being 5 years old and watching ND win their last national title. Try to be a little more regular getting on but sometimes it’s rough with the job and kids. Always love coming on and reading through comments though. I gave up all other Irish forums after this one, I don’t think any others compare to DD

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mike featured this topic

We have a lot of new guests and old members returning after news of Kelly broke. Don't be shy. If you're a guest, please consider joining and introducing yourself. We'd love to hear your input. We have a fantastic community of Notre Dame fans here, and we're always welcoming more.

Thanks all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 5:34 AM, NYGoldenDomer said:

Powlus was my favorite player when I became a young fan in the early 90s around the age of 8-9-10.  My first ND jersey was a Champion #3 jersey.

I had that same jersey. But I absolutely hated Powlus. I hated the fact that he would cower as soon as somebody breathed on him. Coan has those tendencies. A gust of wind could blow them over. I also hated how he would only look for Derek Mayes every pass attempt. He was so one dimensional. Anyways, I threw that Champion #3 jersey away as soon as I played football with it and got it dirty. Didn’t even clean it. Just tossed it haha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Born and raised in South Bend about a stone throw away from Eddy street and Norte Dame Stadium. 
I Moved away after college and have called Arizona home since. 
Been taking x-rays for awhile now and still follow ND religiously. Them, Cubs, and Blackhawks are pretty much the only sports I watch anymore. 
My wife is expecting our first child in a few weeks. 

  • Like 1
  • Trophy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, coltssb said:

I had that same jersey. But I absolutely hated Powlus. I hated the fact that he would cower as soon as somebody breathed on him. Coan has those tendencies. A gust of wind could blow them over. I also hated how he would only look for Derek Mayes every pass attempt. He was so one dimensional. Anyways, I threw that Champion #3 jersey away as soon as I played football with it and got it dirty. Didn’t even clean it. Just tossed it haha. 

Powlus is from Berwick PA less then an hour from me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

Born and raised in South Bend about a stone throw away from Eddy street and Norte Dame Stadium. 
I Moved away after college and have called Arizona home since. 
Been taking x-rays for awhile now and still follow ND religiously. Them, Cubs, and Blackhawks are pretty much the only sports I watch anymore. 
My wife is expecting our first child in a few weeks. 

Congrats to you and your wife!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

I had that same jersey. But I absolutely hated Powlus. I hated the fact that he would cower as soon as somebody breathed on him. Coan has those tendencies. A gust of wind could blow them over. I also hated how he would only look for Derek Mayes every pass attempt. He was so one dimensional. Anyways, I threw that Champion #3 jersey away as soon as I played football with it and got it dirty. Didn’t even clean it. Just tossed it haha. 

I was a kid, I didn't know any better.  He was the starting QB of my favorite college team, that's pretty much all it was to it.  I have no idea what happen to that jersey though.  I still have my Brady Quinn jersey with the numbers on the shoulders instead of the ND.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GRIMREAPER1270 said:

Born and raised on Long Island. Now living in Florida near the Tampa area. I became a ND fan in the mid 70's. My dad was a huge ND fan and as an Irish Catholic it was a perfect fit for me!!!!! My favorite player was "The Rocket" Raghib Ismail. 

I'm on Long Island too.  Ronkonkoma.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...