Spring QB Poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Spring QB Poll

• Jack Coan
    • Tyler Buchner
    • Drew Pyne

I think it'll be Coan at FSU and likely throughout the rest season. I know the coaches like Pyne, but Coan has better size, mobility, and arm strength. He also has a lot of experience and took Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl two years ago. If he can pick up the playbook, I think the offense could be good to very good, depending on how the OL situation works out. If Buchner would have had a senior season of HS football, I'd give him more of a chance, but I just don't see him playing next year minus a few handoffs in garbage time against Toledo.

• Like 1

I live in Wisconsin, and watch the badgers. I hope his arm strength is not better  then Pyne, and he isn’t very mobile. Coan looked great against teams that had un-athletic defenses. Against the good teams he played very poor and his lack of arm strength was shown. I’m hoping for Pyne because if it’s Coan, we had better have a great Oline and run game. We can’t have him win games for us.

• Like 1

I would be quite surprised if Jack Coan isn't the starter to open the season. Agree with tneun about Buchner's lack of a senior season hurting his chances.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Voted Coan because, as the poll asks, that is who I think will be the starter.  Who I want to be the starter, though, is Buchner.

I would like Buchner to be given a fair chance to win the job. My fear is they pick Pyne and after 2 years of sitting Buchner transfers just as Jurkovek did. They keep stating Buchner did not play in games last season and now they are asking him to sit another season or more. 

4 minutes ago, cavic said:

I would like Buchner to be given a fair chance to win the job. My fear is they pick Pyne and after 2 years of sitting Buchner transfers just as Jurkovek did. They keep stating Buchner did not play in games last season and now they are asking him to sit another season or more. 

Coan is going to be the safest bet, I would agree with that.  However, what does he have, one or two years of eligibility left?  With the schedule we're playing this year I think its best for the long term future to just give the keys to Buchner and let him learn on the job.  I want to see him grow with the team.  I want to watch our QB play for 3-4 years, not 1.5-2.  Or worse, not at all, like in your scenario.

The QB that gives ND the best chance of winning TODAY will start. In todays sport’s world it’s all about the present. With the transfer portal being so popular, early entry into the NFL, career ending injuries, coaches moving to follow the money .... things can dramatically change in a “New York minute”....

I would say from looking at the videos that Buchner is the most like Ian Book except with a stronger arm and few inches taller. He definitely has the wheels to improvise like Book when he doesn’t see what he’s looking for. The biggest question will be if he has a good understanding of the playbook, but what QB has since Reese. I’d say let Buchner play with training wheels on. I think he will still give the team the best chance to win just because of his athleticism and he can actually see over the line. Just MHO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:39 AM, NYGoldenDomer said:

Coan is going to be the safest bet, I would agree with that.  However, what does he have, one or two years of eligibility left?  With the schedule we're playing this year I think its best for the long term future to just give the keys to Buchner and let him learn on the job.  I want to see him grow with the team.  I want to watch our QB play for 3-4 years, not 1.5-2.  Or worse, not at all, like in your scenario.

My thoughts exactly regarding Buchner. If he is as good as advertised then let’s roll with him. Coan is garbage. We must be the only team that thinks we can take a guy that couldn’t play well at a program like wisky and think he will be Joe Montana for us. I’ve said it before, all of the top programs that get top QB’s put them out on the field as freshmen—unless they have an absolute stud that is still a a senior. Put Buchner out there and let him learn and see what he can do. 

It certainly adds an interesting wrinkle that we are rebuilding our OL at the same time.  Mobility may be required as there will likely be more missed assignments than we've been used to seeing.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 10:28 AM, D Fence said:

It certainly adds an interesting wrinkle that we are rebuilding our OL at the same time.  Mobility may be required as there will likely be more missed assignments than we've been used to seeing.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, ND_JACK said:

Or it can be said because of the inexperienced OL you want a QB that has experience and can make quick decisions/reads

Both excellent arguments.