Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

Mike...Appreciate all the work you have done and so quickly. I was wondering what you think about having a spot where MEMBERS ONLY could sell/buy/trade football tickets. Similar to the “Marketplace” that NDNation has. I ask because I am a season ticket holder and often I have extra tickets for games. I would rather have a follow DD member who I know is a ND fan sitting next to me. For many years I have used NDNation for that and I have met a lot of good people. Relatives of people from Frank Leahy, to Father Ted, even a cousin of Q. Nelson that took me to a tailgate to meet him. Just an idea.

Hey @ND_JACK!

First off, those are some awesome stories! And why selling between other fans is the way to go.

About the Marketplace, that's something I have spent some time thinking about, and I have looked into some options. I'm still brainstorming ideas on the best method, but I'm considering a few of the following options.

The most logical approach would be to get a license for 'Commerce' + 'Classifieds' on the site, but that's a few hundred dollars a year to keep renewed. If I did go this route, I may require a very small membership fee to have access to the marketplace section, and other VIP sections to have it make sense.  I need to put some thought into it, but I do plan on getting something like that in place before the season roles around.

Looking into other options as well, too. But stay tuned :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working with the forum developers regarding old tweets being broken, where they now show a feed instead of the intended individual tweet. Looks like they'll be finished working on this and b

Really like this. The twitter feeds there for us to see. I love how easy it is to create a poll. The reaction/like button is there! (Bottom Right, looks like a heart) Reminders the help

This might be because tweets got blown up. So any post with tweets in it then got linked to a ton of other non ND tweets due to embedding from the original tweet. I’ve cleaned some of the main recruit

Posted Images

I apologize.  Not gonna lie...  I’m at the beach, had a bunch with the guys, went to check DD and got frustrated I couldn’t find what I needed easily.  I think I may have hallucinated a few things, as well.  Anyway, after coming back to the board sober for a couple days, I actually think this looks really good.  In particular, I like that we can like posts which I’ve always yearned for.  Also, the layout is pretty good.  There is a lot more functionality with the experience.

again, I apologize.  Thanks for the upgrades, Mike.  I honestly don’t know where I saw ads or any of the other stuff I was b!tching about...  I promise...no shrooms involved - probably just too much fun in the sun mixed with booze.  Thanks again!

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

I apologize.  Not gonna lie...  I’m at the beach, had a bunch with the guys, went to check DD and got frustrated I couldn’t find what I needed easily.  I think I may have hallucinated a few things, as well.  Anyway, after coming back to the board sober for a couple days, I actually think this looks really good.  In particular, I like that we can like posts which I’ve always yearned for.  Also, the layout is pretty good.  There is a lot more functionality with the experience.

again, I apologize.  Thanks for the upgrades, Mike.  I honestly don’t know where I saw ads or any of the other stuff I was b!tching about...  I promise...no shrooms involved - probably just too much fun in the sun mixed with booze.  Thanks again!

No worries at all! I hope you enjoyed your trip to the beach. It's been too long since I've been to one, and I love the beach.

You aren't crazy. I did have ads in the sidebar for Amazon at the time of your post, as I was trying to get things situated. You caught it in the trial and error phase when I was figuring it out what fits. I hate the Amazon ads with a passion. So I agree with your thoughts on the ads. The previous owner used Google Ads, but Google is giving me a hard time right now and I'm trying to find a network that will provide the best experience possible, all things considered. Amazon is not it. But is my only option right now. They still exist, but I did bump it to the bottom of the homepage on the forums. 

So please forgive any changes that may be happening in real-time as I get a feel for what works. When I get back into an ad Network, I will probably need to throw an ad back into to the sidebar because I'm investing a lot into features and functionality (latest being a marketplace / ticket exchange for members).

It's just a matter of getting the balance right. I can handle criticism, and welcome it. So I appreciate your feedback, no matter what state of mind you were in 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like all new things, I am sure this is just a learning curve for all. Can we get have a discussion with the moderators and administrators pushing crazy conspiracy theories?? That would be ideal. I am all for different opinions, but crazy conspiracy hurt the board.

Edited by Jim2Dokes
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people should post what they want. I agree that it’s a bad look when people post odd or crazy things. But, what’s a conspiracy theory today may turn out to be the real truth tomorrow. 
Support with evidence, not feelings, what you post. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kelly Gruene said:

I think people should post what they want. I agree that it’s a bad look when people post odd or crazy things. But, what’s a conspiracy theory today may turn out to be the real truth tomorrow. 
Support with evidence, not feelings, what you post. 

I agree with you.  Us peasants (domerdomain anyways)  should post what we want. However, if I were CEO of a company, I wouldn’t want my leadership telling people there are body parts in vaccines or selling Sidney Powell dvds. “I edited my above post it was too strongly worded and I apologize for that. 

Edited by Jim2Dokes
  • Poo (-1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jim2Dokes said:

I agree with you.  Us peasants (domerdomain anyways)  should post what we want. However, if I were CEO of a company, I wouldn’t want my leadership telling people there are body parts in vaccines or selling Sidney Powell dvds. “I edited my above post it was too strongly worded and I apologize for that. 

I get what you’re saying. But, I don’t know what being a moderator entails. I think moderators should be allowed to express their beliefs just like everyone else. I have never, in 9 years, found that a moderator deleted or ‘jailed’ a poster who had differing beliefs. 
The only interdictions I have seen were done because of a poster or two clearly violating anyone’s sense of decency, using racial slurs, for instance. 
I agree that sometimes posters state things that seem imprecise or even just crazy. But unless they violate clear community standards, I say go for it, moderator or not. 
As a reader, It’s my choice to read and/or respond. If I decide I don’t like it, I either don’t respond or I could quit coming back. 
That’s all I will say here. This isn’t the forum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, BAgate said:

Is there any way that when you go to a page with new posts you are sent to the new posts automatically rather than having to scroll down to them? Or am I missing something?

On 3/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Mike said:

Yup! It's very easy, actually. Just click the '# Minutes Ago / # Hours Ago" by the username, and you'll jump to the most recent posts :)

Also, made some more changes to how Tweets load. They might take an additional second or two when there's a lot on the page, but I think it's resolved -- at least it's working better on my end.

Even easier to do this is to click the dot to the left of the thread title.  If it is a thread in which you've already posted then it will be a star instead of a dot.

  • Trophy (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 8:59 PM, 97domer said:

Love the new format! Way better on mobile. If it doesn’t require me to re-sign in every time, I’ll certainly be more active  

thanks!

It shouldn't make you sign in every time you visit.  I post on a hockey board that uses this same Invision software.  I mostly use it on my desktop at work, rarely on my phone.  When I do happen to jump on from my phone I am always still logged in.  And that is even with closing out the page and Safari entirely.  You should be good to go!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 7:03 PM, BAgate said:

2 issues with the update-

1) Each line takes up 3 times as much screen real estate (at least).  Leads to dramatically more scrolling.  And it is all wasted whitespace.  Any way to condense it?

2) There is no visual clue that there is a new post.  It may be a color scheme issue, but the old software would bold a thread if there was a new post.  Any way to do that?

For your first issue, this software is defaulted to double spacing.  If you hit [Enter/Return] it will automatically drop you down two spaces...

...Like this.

A lot of people are unaware of this and already used to hitting it twice to get to a new paragraph so that makes it look...

 

...Like this.

If you want to do down one line you have to hold [shift] and press [enter]...
...and it will look like this.

Believe me, I get your frustration.  Its a HUGE pet peeve of mine on a hockey forum that uses the same Invision software.  I am a moderator there and I spend so much time editing posts just out of my own OCD.  It is what it is though.

As for your second issue, a thread with a new post will have a bolded title.  If it is a thread in which you have never posted there will be a dot next to it.  If you have already posted in the thread there will be a star next to it.

Edited by NYGoldenDomer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Trophy (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, ND_JACK said:

Mike...Appreciate all the work you have done and so quickly. I was wondering what you think about having a spot where MEMBERS ONLY could sell/buy/trade football tickets. Similar to the “Marketplace” that NDNation has. I ask because I am a season ticket holder and often I have extra tickets for games. I would rather have a follow DD member who I know is a ND fan sitting next to me. For many years I have used NDNation for that and I have met a lot of good people. Relatives of people from Frank Leahy, to Father Ted, even a cousin of Q. Nelson that took me to a tailgate to meet him. Just an idea.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, Mike said:

Hey @ND_JACK!

First off, those are some awesome stories! And why selling between other fans is the way to go.

About the Marketplace, that's something I have spent some time thinking about, and I have looked into some options. I'm still brainstorming ideas on the best method, but I'm considering a few of the following options.

The most logical approach would be to get a license for 'Commerce' + 'Classifieds' on the site, but that's a few hundred dollars a year to keep renewed. If I did go this route, I may require a very small membership fee to have access to the marketplace section, and other VIP sections to have it make sense.  I need to put some thought into it, but I do plan on getting something like that in place before the season roles around.

Looking into other options as well, too. But stay tuned :)

@Mike, I mentioned in the feature suggestion thread that I helped setup a hockey forum from its beginnings using this same Invision software.  I don't mean to double post about the same topic but its relevant to this discussion here too.  It will save you the hassle and the money if you just create a separate sub forum for members to sell tickets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

@Mike, I mentioned in the feature suggestion thread that I helped setup a hockey forum from its beginnings using this same Invision software.  I don't mean to double post about the same topic but its relevant to this discussion here too.  It will save you the hassle and the money if you just create a separate sub forum for members to sell tickets.

Just responded in the other thread. :) 

  • Leprechaun (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kelly Gruene said:

Any way to include a football schedule?  I'd like to have one here, rather than having to go somewhere else to see when a game is coming up.  Not a bit deal really, but might be of interest.

For the time being, I added the games for this season as 'events' in the Calendar. Here's a link to it (also in the main menu under forums), but I'll see if there's a way to better incorporate it closer to the season. There's also an option to mark as 'Going', 'Maybe' or 'Decline', as well. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

Why is all my stuff Spanish????

E01D2B05-5E35-409B-87E7-3F292E72FA6B.png

Is it fixed? I was trying to find a translation option for a new member, who speaks Spanish, that probably broke something. I just disabled the second language option on the site. Is it good now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mike said:

Is it fixed? I was trying to find a translation option for a new member, who speaks Spanish, that probably broke something. I just disabled the second language option on the site. Is it good now?

Yep thx

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike,

 

A little bit of an adjustment catching up on this upgrade, but yes, I enjoy the new format more than the old one. It's a much cleaner look for starters.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, ndfanatic78 said:

How do you ignore a user?

Hover over their username to the left of one of their posts and a little pop up menu will appear.  There will be options to message them(private message), ignore them, and find content that they posted.

  • Trophy (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 11:44 PM, jimbo said:

Hi Mike,

 

A little bit of an adjustment catching up on this upgrade, but yes, I enjoy the new format more than the old one. It's a much cleaner look for starters.

This would be an example of someone who hit [enter/return] twice after their initial line of "Hi Mike," instead of once.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsolicited thought, but as a further reason not to heavily "moderate" content, the website's owner has vastly more protection when the content of a website is lightly moderated, as opposed to a website that exercises a great deal of editorial control over the content of speech presented.  So says my understanding of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.  Not that I've ever seen a website sued for moderating content, but still a good guideline to be aware of.

 

This does not mean that websites cannot sanction abusive users or potentially illegal content, just that they should not wholly exclude differing opinions.

Edited by TexasDomer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...