Jump to content

Forum Upgrades


Mike
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! As some of you may have seen, I have some plans to do some way overdue upgrades with the forums in the coming days / weeks. I'm currently doing any and all checks to make sure the transition is as seamless as possible, but there some things you need to know.

 

While most everything will transfer over, there may be some stuff lost in the transition. Nothing major, but I want to give a heads up.

 

Community Features that will transfer are below. Not all are currently being used right now, however:

  • Emoticons (maybe)
  • Profile Field Groups
  • Member Groups
  • Member History
  • Ignored Users
  • Private Messages
  • Member Ranks
  • Club Members
  • Custom BBCode
  • Profile Fields
  • Members
  • Status Updates / Profile Comments
  • Announcements
  • Private Message Replies
  • Clubs

 

Forum-specific features being converted

  • Forums
  • Posts
  • Club Topics
  • Attachments
  • Topics
  • Club Forums
  • Club Topic Posts

 

Probably not transferring - BACKUP!:

  • Avatars
  • Signatures
  • Also, Custom Plugins / Add-ons wouldn't make the move, but I don't believe we're using any.

 

I don't believe forums or signatures will be able to get transferred when we upgrade to the new forums. If you're around, please make sure to backup your signatures and profile pictures. You can re-upload your profile picture when we're on the new forum, but signatures would likely be limited to your profile page, if you choose to bring it over.

 

If there is anything you see missing from the list above, please let me know in this thread. As well as any concerns you have.

 

Styling of the new forums:

 

When the upgrade initially rolls out, expect to see a more generic color scheme for a few days or weeks while I Domerfy it behind the scenes. Everything will eventually get back to the Notre Dame color scheme, but will take a little bit of time. to get there.

 

Please don't hesitate if you have any questions in the meantime. You'll like what's in store. I promise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forum upgrades will be taking place over the course of the next 72 hours barring any issues. The forums will be down for a little bit, but we'll come out on the other side with a brand new home!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ndfanatic1978 said:

Not a big fan of the changes. Makes it harder to navigate. Might finally be done with this site.

Are you viewing on a phone/tablet or computer?  This is a huge improvement for the phone/tablet users.  I haven’t check on a computer yet but not sure the last time I used a computer outside of work.

I miss the color scheme and I mentioned the Twitter posts issues in another thread. I was hesitant with change but this is much better than Irish Envy’s update.  Give it time, Mike is just starting the updates and so far pretty darn good. 

Edited by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ndfanatic1978 said:

Not a big fan of the changes. Makes it harder to navigate. Might finally be done with this site.

Sorry to here that. It's the beginning of a lot of upgrades. Forum software was 13 years old which not only wasn't suitable for mobile, but also hasn't been supported for years and could be a security risk.

If you have any specific complaints, let me know. This is not the finished product, but I will continue to work on the design which I'll push out when it's ready. There will be a slight transition while I do so. 

Irish envy is using the newest version of this old forum software. I just finished upgrading to newest version and then migrating to another platform. Still work to go.

There will be growing pains, but hope you decide to stick around. But I'm always open to ideas 👍

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ndfanatic1978 said:

I’ve always used my phone to view the site. I liked the thread listing better and it was easier to identify when there were new threads in a topic. 

This is good feedback! So keep it coming. And no worries about criticism. I'm open to it as long as it's constructive. I'm not sure if I have an option to make it more visible on the homepage, but I will look into it. In the meantime, if you scroll to the bottom of a forum, you can click the following button and whenever you visit the site you will see a little dot showing you all the new content posted since you last visited. 

Screenshot_20210328-130027_Edge.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ndfanatic78 said:

The other issue I see is that the video links can no longer be played with in the thread but show up as links. Is this going to be updated so the videos will actually show the video rather than the url link?

Yup! Going forward it should just be a simple paste of a url to embed a video. Some content just didn't play well through the transition since it's deprecated code that was being used.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mike changed the title to Forum Upgrades this weekend. Possible interruption / bugs

2 issues with the update-

1) Each line takes up 3 times as much screen real estate (at least).  Leads to dramatically more scrolling.  And it is all wasted whitespace.  Any way to condense it?

2) There is no visual clue that there is a new post.  It may be a color scheme issue, but the old software would bold a thread if there was a new post.  Any way to do that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BAgate said:

2 issues with the update-

1) Each line takes up 3 times as much screen real estate (at least).  Leads to dramatically more scrolling.  And it is all wasted whitespace.  Any way to condense it?

2) There is no visual clue that there is a new post.  It may be a color scheme issue, but the old software would bold a thread if there was a new post.  Any way to do that?

1. I'm not aware of any way to condense it right now. The forums follow Google's best practices for mobile, but for now there's not another way I can see to condense everything. Are you referring to mobile or desktop / can you elaborate a little bit more on what you're referring to?

2. Everything might be bolded right now, and show unread because we're on new software. If you view a thread, or mark everything as read, everything shouldn't be bold anymore. Once there is a new post, it should bold back up again. (Attached)

 

Screenshot_20210328-190534_Edge.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SpeedsterX said:

FB9C8972-AED0-42D5-B623-4D7690C4DE7D_4_5005_c.jpegSAWEEEET!!! Just posted a pic straight from my files. SO easy!! Hoping for more color in the color scheme though. Right now a bit Meh.

Woohoo! Glad that worked! You can also right click a picture online and copy then paste here as well.

And don't worry. I have a private theme I'm working on that'll make it feel like home (I hope) when it's done. Takes quite a bit of work though so that may take a few weeks. But it won't stay this vanilla. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a fan of the new site either.  This is supposed to be a discussion board, not a running commercial for 247 articles that don't have anything to do with ND football.

That's okay, lot of sites out there to get news and updates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, D Fence said:

Not a fan of the new site either.  This is supposed to be a discussion board, not a running commercial for 247 articles that don't have anything to do with ND football.

That's okay, lot of sites out there to get news and updates.

where are the 247 articles? The board is  pretty much the same, with a few new features like a "like button".

  • Cheers (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, D Fence said:

This is supposed to be a discussion board, not a running commercial for 247 articles that don't have anything to do with ND football.

What You Talking About GIFs | Tenor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mike said:

1. I'm not aware of any way to condense it right now. The forums follow Google's best practices for mobile, but for now there's not another way I can see to condense everything. Are you referring to mobile or desktop / can you elaborate a little bit more on what you're referring to?

2. Everything might be bolded right now, and show unread because we're on new software. If you view a thread, or mark everything as read, everything shouldn't be bold anymore. Once there is a new post, it should bold back up again. (Attached)

 

 

I'm referring to desktop. I don't really know how to elaborate.  On the old board there were 2-3 times as many rows as there are now.  Each thread is about 3 times as tall with lots of empty space between.

And I'm seeing the bold now.  It just is not as stark a contrast as before.

Edited by BAgate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, BAgate said:

I'm referring to desktop. I don't really know how to elaborate.  On the old board there were 2-3 times as many rows as there are now.  Each thread is about 3 times as tall with lots of empty space between.

And I'm seeing the bold now.  It just is not as stark a contrast as before.

I think I know what you mean. In the most simplistic form, the reason for it is most likely to adapt to mobile. Over 50% of people view websites now from a mobile device, and this format easily adapts to both. The previous forum was desktop-only and allowed for much better precision since the design was primarily for PC / Mouse usage. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really like this.

The twitter feeds there for us to see.

I love how easy it is to create a poll. The reaction/like button is there! (Bottom Right, looks like a heart)

Reminders the helped me were:

I click the topic instead of the persons screen name. The screename leads you to the persons profile, which is great  but I usually want to reply or read the topic

Threads are known as topics(Start a new topic, is the same as start a new thread used to be)

Same video in thread functionality.

Private messages work awesome(looks like an envelope Icon)

have both file drag attachments and file upload attachment choices.

Can surf between all the boards!

 

I'm really thankful for this. Exciting stuff!!! Thanks!

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Really like this.

The twitter feeds there for us to see.

I love how easy it is to create a poll. The reaction/like button is there! (Bottom Right, looks like a heart)

Reminders the helped me were:

I click the topic instead of the persons screen name. The screename leads you to the persons profile, which is great  but I usually want to reply or read the topic

Threads are known as topics(Start a new topic, is the same as start a new thread used to be)

Same video in thread functionality.

Private messages work awesome(looks like an envelope Icon)

have both file drag attachments and file upload attachment choices.

Can surf between all the boards!

 

I'm really thankful for this. Exciting stuff!!! Thanks!

Thanks Faith! Also just learned I have the ability to embed a poll from a topic into the sidebar. As you may have noticed (or would, soon!)

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, D Fence said:

Not a fan of the new site either.  This is supposed to be a discussion board, not a running commercial for 247 articles that don't have anything to do with ND football.

That's okay, lot of sites out there to get news and updates.

This might be because tweets got blown up. So any post with tweets in it then got linked to a ton of other non ND tweets due to embedding from the original tweet. I’ve cleaned some of the main recruiting thread. It looks like a massive 247 advertisement in others though but it isn’t meant to be and will clean up over time. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Big23Head said:

This might be because tweets got blown up. So any post with tweets in it then got linked to a ton of other non ND tweets due to embedding from the original tweet. I’ve cleaned some of the main recruiting thread. It looks like a massive 247 advertisement in others though but it isn’t meant to be and will clean up over time. 

Thanks Big - yes, that is what I was referring to.  There were links to tweets and articles on a bunch of different topics like the NCAA tourney, etc.  Looks like the main 2022 recruiting thread got fixed to your point. Thanks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mike changed the title to Forum Upgrades
  • Mike unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...