@Mike is the new owner of DD. He's been reading our threads to kind of get a feel for our community and to assess our current state so he probably already knows all of our warts. lol.

Anyways, no big changes planned. He aims to keep DD's feel the same as it is while making DD a better mobile experience.

Just wanted to fill you in as I'm sure Mike will be stopping by to say hello sometime soon and fill you in with any other pertinent details.

Donjuan said:
@Mike is the new owner of DD. He's been reading our threads to kind of get a feel for our community and to assess our current state so he probably already knows all of our warts. lol.

Anyways, no big changes planned. He aims to keep DD's feel the same as it is while making DD a better mobile experience.

Just wanted to fill you in as I'm sure Mike will be stopping by to say hello sometime soon and fill you in with any other pertinent details.

Ahhh yes. "Mike". Lol

Hello all! And thanks for the introduction DonJuan! And also thanks for granting me permission to post. :razz:

As stated, I've been reading the forums to get a grasp of what you all expect with the transition. I plan on giving the forums a nice facelift, but you don't have to worry about it looking like Irish envy. I'm not a big fan of vbulletin's newest software, which is what Irish envy is on, domer domain being an old version. But I will be transitioning to new forum software. It's my favorite of all the ones I've tested, which is all of them, and I think many of you will enjoy the upgrades. Hopefully everyone.

That won't be happening overnight, but I do plan on moving fairly quick in this regard. When that day comes around, I'll try and do it late in the evening, and have there be as little downtime as possible. But DonJuan or myself will give a heads up.

Look forward to getting to know everyone and if you have any questions, just send me a message or leave a reply.

P.S. Sorry for the brief loss of posts from today. I thought we made it through without a hiccup, but there's always something. Luckily it was pretty minor.

P.P.S. I'm not a fan/alum of USC, Purdue, Navy, or any school who could be considered a current rival. :grin:

You’re going to have to tell us your allegiance now. We’re all curious. Otherwise rumors will swirl that you’re an Alabama fan. [Gasp] lol.

PS: I root for Toledo, too, so it’s all good. 🚀

You’re going to have to tell us your allegiance now. We’re all curious. Otherwise rumors will swirl that you’re an Alabama fan. [Gasp] lol.

PS: I root for Toledo, too, so it’s all good. 🚀

Oh we can't have rumors swirling that I'm an Alabama fan! I'll let you all discover who I'm a fan (and alum) of via

. Don't worry, it's a good memory for Notre Dame fans :(

Gabe, can you make Mike's posts "approved". I had to approve his last post. Greetings Mike. Hope you enjoy your new investment. Please don't go back and read what some of us said about PSU during the "dark time". It wasn't pretty but before all that most of us had some healthy respect for PSU. :-)

Edited by SpeedsterX
Gabe, can you make Mike's posts "approved". I had to approve his last post. Greetings Mike. Hope you enjoy your new investment. Please don't go back and read what some of us said about PSU during the "dark time". It wasn't pretty but before all that most of us had some healthy respect for PSU. :-)

Thanks Speedster! I'm really looking forward to growing the brand of DomerDomain, with the knowledge & utmost respect for the term "Domer" referring to alumni of Notre Dame.

As for the things said about PSU, I absolutely get it. No hard feelings here. I feel like a traitor to Penn State nation for taking this on, but I see nothing but potential here with some real TLC. Waiting to have my diploma revoked and get banned from Beaver stadium if they ever catch wind of this.

And when I mentioned before that I'm open for any and all suggestions or comments, I mean it. Feel free to drop a message if anything ever comes to mind. I'm very transparent and always open to listening to feedback.

As for moderating, I'm going to be hands off there. Everything will remain as usual. That's not my forte. It's not what I'm good at, so I'll leave that to those that have had it under control :-)

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

WE ARE!

Thanks Speedster! I'm really looking forward to growing the brand of DomerDomain, with the knowledge & utmost respect for the term "Domer" referring to alumni of Notre Dame.

As for the things said about PSU, I absolutely get it. No hard feelings here. I feel like a traitor to Penn State nation for taking this on, but I see nothing but potential here with some real TLC. Waiting to have my diploma revoked and get banned from Beaver stadium if they ever catch wind of this.

And when I mentioned before that I'm open for any and all suggestions or comments, I mean it. Feel free to drop a message if anything ever comes to mind. I'm very transparent and always open to listening to feedback.

As for moderating, I'm going to be hands off there. Everything will remain as usual. That's not my forte. It's not what I'm good at, so I'll leave that to those that have had it under control :-)

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

WE ARE!

Sounds good. These days aren't so bad but back in the early days Gabe, myself and the other OG Mods were fighting spam daily tooth and nail. Gabe did a lot to rectify that. (Excuse me while I wipe some brown stuff off my nose LOL) Nowadays, the Mods really add to the content such as Brian (Faith). We'll be behind what you want to do. It's your baby and we just want a great place to talk about the Irish.

Sounds good. These days aren't so bad but back in the early days Gabe, myself and the other OG Mods were fighting spam daily tooth and nail. Gabe did a lot to rectify that. (Excuse me while I wipe some brown stuff off my nose LOL) Nowadays, the Mods really add to the content such as Brian (Faith). We'll be behind what you want to do. It's your baby and we just want a great place to talk about the Irish.

Spamming Forums were the way of the world from 2007 - 2012, I believe. It was a quick and easy... dirty way to get backlinks that actually worked. Thankfully it's no longer an effective way to build website authority, but not everyone has caught on. I can tell there are a lot of checks & balances to prevent spammers from participating here, from my own experience just signing up. But I understand the necessity. This forum software was from 2008, so spammers and hackers can bot the hell out of it if these measures aren't in place. When I get them upgraded, the spam control should handle those pesky bots, but if not, we'll do what's necessary. :)

I JUST sent an email to Gabe regarding some plans / a preview for where the blog is headed. And added questions you just answered. But feel free to bug him about it (or send me a PM) :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, @Mike.  I for one am happy to see the board moved over to Invision instead of the newest vBulletin.  The newest vBulletin looks like ass in my opinion.  Do you mind if I ask what made you invest in an ND board while not particularly being an ND fan?

59 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Welcome, @Mike.  I for one am happy to see the board moved over to Invision instead of the newest vBulletin.  The newest vBulletin looks like ass in my opinion.  Do you mind if I ask what made you invest in an ND board while not particularly being an ND fan?

Absolutely. I have been doing SEO for over a decade, and for some very large publishers. Despite not being a Notre Dame fan, I am still a college sports fan and it's an industry I know very well.

When I saw Domer Domain was for sale, I saw it had a very strong authority in the Notre Dame niche and I saw a lot of potential with it. The website gets a ton of direct traffic from a strong member base (all of you!), and that kind of authority takes years to build up.

Here is a high-level plan on what I intend on doing.

1, Make the Blog / Website one of the top 3 places to go for Notre Dame coverage. The domain authority is already here, but the blog was extremely under-utilized. I am looking for Notre Dame-centric writers for content. It's also where Buyer's Guides, etc. will live. But I plan on managing this as a separate entity from the forums. As long as there's a good system in place in terms of rules & moderation, most of efforts will be spent on growing the blog and allowing the forums to continue to operate. I'll constantly be here tweaking, but this is all about the community aspect.
2. Setup the forums to to grow their visibility in Google so more Notre Dame fans / alumni can find them.
3. I also setup a Discord Server. I am not doing anything to Market this right now, but I have it ranking #3 in Google if you search for "notre dame discord". If this is something that shows potential, I'll put some actual effort into this. Forums are becoming less and less relevant with websites such as Reddit growing everyday. But if you have a forum worth visiting, I think they can be salvaged.

So although not a Notre Dame fan, I saw tremendous potential with this website, despite being on extremely outdated software. I only get involved with industries I know very well. And I feel I can do a lot to grow the brand.

I knew transitioning from Joomla 1.0 to WordPress and moving from vBulletin 3.7 to Invision would be my biggest technical hurdles, so I'm extremely proud that I was able to retain practically everything without much of a problem. And now I can moving forward to finding writers for the blog.

• Like (+1) 2

I've been happy with the transition to the new owner/platform so far. One piece of feedback is that scrolling through threads, links and their preview images/'thumbnails' don't load on page load. And, when they do load, they take a second or two. In a number of threads, I would scroll to find where I last left off. That becomes a slower process with the aforementioned functionality. Is there a setting change I can make for my experience, is this something that can be addressed (w/o any undesirable performance impact) or do I need to change my approach (to either scroll post by post or memorize the last post I had viewed)? Or, is there some other option to solve for this that I'm not thinking of?

• Like (+1) 1
4 hours ago, soulpatch said:

One piece of feedback is that scrolling through threads, links and their preview images/'thumbnails' don't load on page load. And, when they do load, they take a second or two. In a number of threads, I would scroll to find where I last left off. That becomes a slower process with the aforementioned functionality. Is there a setting change I can make for my experience, is this something that can be addressed (w/o any undesirable performance impact) or do I need to change my approach (to either scroll post by post or memorize the last post I had viewed)? Or, is there some other option to solve for this that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for the feedback @soulpatch! I have spent more time working on this one thing than anything else with the site, believe it or not. It's a big pet peeve of mine, too, and seems to mostly be an issue with embedded tweets. This is normal behavior since a script runs whenever you scroll past the tweet. The only effective measure I found was to disable 'lazy loading'. Lazy loading is a feature to make a page load quicker. Images, embeds, etc. don't load until you scroll to them on the page. The only problem is, it slightly slows down the webpage. I haven't noticed the difference, but Google punishes slow-loading pages. Honestly, I think it might have a negative effect on pages with lots of twitter embeds.

Ideally, I wish I could just disable lazy loading for Twitter embeds, but I don't see an option for that.

I'm going to disable lazy loading again, and bug you for your thoughts after it finishes rolling out again. I appreciate the feedback!

My efforts to make this work:

• Changing caching methods
  • Enable something called railgun delivery
  • Change to cloudflare for content delivery
  • Remove Lazy Loading

Also related:

Legacy Twitter posts from the old software didn't transfer over properly. I am actively working with the forum developers to get this rectified. Instead of the embedded tweet loading, it's a string of tweets. I'm hoping they can get that cleaned up for me.

EDIT: Lazy Load is now disabled. Please let me know if this is any better for you. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, soulpatch said:

I've been happy with the transition to the new owner/platform so far. One piece of feedback is that scrolling through threads, links and their preview images/'thumbnails' don't load on page load. And, when they do load, they take a second or two. In a number of threads, I would scroll to find where I last left off. That becomes a slower process with the aforementioned functionality. Is there a setting change I can make for my experience, is this something that can be addressed (w/o any undesirable performance impact) or do I need to change my approach (to either scroll post by post or memorize the last post I had viewed)? Or, is there some other option to solve for this that I'm not thinking of?

When you enter a thread in which you've previously read, there will be a line separating the last post you read and the first post you have not.  It will say "Unread Replies" on that line.  See Below
DDscreenshot.jpg

Edited by NYGoldenDomer
  • Trophy (+1) 1