Elston Quote

Why is Kelly offering twice as many Top 100 players but signing only about 1/3 as many?

To be fairly answer your question you would have to interview each recruit to find out why they choose another school over ND. We would just be guessing otherwise.

Interesting statement Marcus Freeman made when asked about his recruiting. He said something to the effect that it’s hard work and it takes a lot of time. That you have to build relationships with these guys that takes a lot of time. Because of that you just couldn’t offer everyone. Well based upon the numbers of offers it looks like Kelly is willing to spend twice as much time trying to build relationships then his previous regime was willing to do...

Why is Kelly offering twice as many Top 100 players but signing only about 1/3 as many?

To be fairly answer your question you would have to interview each recruit to find out why they choose another school over ND. We would just be guessing otherwise.

Interesting statement Marcus Freeman made when asked about his recruiting. He said something to the effect that it’s hard work and it takes a lot of time. That you have to build relationships with these guys that takes a lot of time. Because of that you just couldn’t offer everyone. Well based upon the numbers of offers it looks like Kelly is willing to spend twice as much time trying to build relationships then his previous regime was willing to do...

Yeah, some of this is really tough to answer. We do know that Weis had a determination that he would chase the top 100 type recruit all the way to the end, even sometimes at the cost of other primary targets that were more of a 4 star or high 3 star, and sometimes ended up with absolute emergency type takes. However, by staying in on those guys late, he got a lot more of them.

I don't necessarily know the setup of the recruiting office, but Elston and Freeman both made comments along the lines of "can't expect the head coach to text everyone 6 times". But shouldn't we? Even if it's a recruiting intern with "coach Kelly's phone" following him around and quickly typing out some texts to communicate? Granted, ND is proud of how much money the football program sends the university each year, and adding administrative costs like deeper staffing in football support positions would hurt that, but if ND had a championship this decade, wouldn't that pay off?

I don't understand the Weis stuff. Sure, he got some good players, but so has Kelly. Heck, Ty even got a 5* in Abiamiri.

But what Elston said is that they can go for 50% of the top 100. Did Weis ever say they could go for more than that?

Getting a few top guys isn't what this is about, it's about how many can you go after.

I don't understand the Weis stuff. Sure, he got some good players, but so has Kelly. Heck, Ty even got a 5* in Abiamiri.

But what Elston said is that they can go for 50% of the top 100. Did Weis ever say they could go for more than that?

Getting a few top guys isn't what this is about, it's about how many can you go after.

Exactly..

Say there's 50 that Qualify for ND admissions. 40 of those have strong ties to "Home State U" and then you have probably 30 of them from the South to begin with.

So there's probably 10 A year that ND seriously gets on a visit

Not all 10 will like it.

Its not easy.

Thats why Urban Meyer didn't take the job, my friends.*

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

From my understanding, Weis never said he couldn’t go after a certain amount of guys. He just did. It just sounds like the old crutch that this is the best we’ll always do. Maybe he’s right.

My issue is that it dropped off and now all of the sudden the reason is we can’t recruit 50 percent of the guys. Yet, Kelly did just that the first three years. So did “Weis.” What happened to change that? Even stricter rules? Guys are dumber?

From my understanding, Weis never said he couldn’t go after a certain amount of guys. He just did. It just sounds like the old crutch that this is the best we’ll always do. Maybe he’s right.

My issue is that it dropped off and now all of the sudden the reason is we can’t recruit 50 percent of the guys. Yet, Kelly did just that the first three years. So did “Weis.” What happened to change that? Even stricter rules? Guys are dumber?

Weis certainly did talk about the fact that not a lot of the top tier recruits can get into ND. It's been talked about for many coaches now, even back to Lou.

I don’t know if it’s true, but I know it sounds like a good excuse for whatever shortcomings happen. We just *can’t* do better.

If you look at all the recent discussions with the coaches they do believe they can improve. I think it’s a combo of all the story lines here. ND is in fact limited but they need to continue improving and hit on more of the ones they can get. There have been guys in the past very highly rated that I think would have picked ND given the current program status. Also, ND needs to land a couple, then talent attracts talent in a given class. Happened with Jaylons class

If you look at all the recent discussions with the coaches they do believe they can improve. I think it’s a combo of all the story lines here. ND is in fact limited but they need to continue improving and hit on more of the ones they can get. There have been guys in the past very highly rated that I think would have picked ND given the current program status. Also, ND needs to land a couple, then talent attracts talent in a given class. Happened with Jaylons class

I think this is the most solid answer. Yes, everyone knows that ND is limited to certain kids. How much is hard to determine. But, ND has been in on kids and struck out on some. I agree, ND lands a few kids and that will draw more kids to come. Which is kinda my point. ND can do better. Even if they are limited to a certain amount, they should still be in the top 7 every year at this point in Kelly’s tenure. The fact that he’s not is my complaint. I think the blowouts are probably the likely cause of this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike Elston says Notre Dame can recruit “less than half” of the Top 100 prospects nationally. <br><br>Talking to people around Notre Dame over the years, the number is probably a little closer to 33%, give or take.</p>— Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="
">February 3, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mike Elston says Notre Dame can recruit “less than half” of the Top 100 prospects nationally.

Discuss

Sounds about right.

I think this is the most solid answer. Yes, everyone knows that ND is limited to certain kids. How much is hard to determine. But, ND has been in on kids and struck out on some. I agree, ND lands a few kids and that will draw more kids to come. Which is kinda my point. ND can do better. Even if they are limited to a certain amount, they should still be in the top 7 every year at this point in Kelly’s tenure. The fact that he’s not is my complaint. I think the blowouts are probably the likely cause of this.

Some reasons (IMO):

• Blowouts / and a lack of big wins to offset them from a perception basis

• Belief by BK that Top 15 recruiting classes were OK leading to lowered expectations/efforts of entire coaching staff

• Lack of playing time for young players at offensive skilled positions. Makes it harder to attract talent if they think they will have to sit for at least a season or two. Also can lead to players transferring out.

• Other than OL, lack of NFL "star power" compared to other top recruiting schools. Even TE results have been somewhat weak lately. Hurts recruiting for those positions since ability of a school to prepare them for NFL success is a key consideration for top recruits.

2020 (2019 season) Pro Bowlers for certain schools:

Clemson: 3 (WR/QB/DT)
    Ohio St: 6 (DE,DT,WR,RB,DE,CB)
    Notre Dame: 4 (three OL and Harrison Smith)
    Alabama: 7 (RB,RB,LB,DB,FS,WR,FS)

Notable 2021 Pro Bowl players

Deshaun Watson - Clemson
    DeAndre Hopkins - Clemson
    Derrick Henry - Alabama
    Josh Jacobs - Alabama
    Quenton Nelson - ND's only Pro Bowl player this year.

It also seems that Clemson, Ohio St, and Alabama will see their skilled position players get drafted pretty high this year while good chance that ND will not have a QB, WR, or RB get drafted in the first four rounds.

• Trophy (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

QB has pretty much been the difference between itself and teams that have blown them out.  Book was a 3 star but we pretended he was more.  The dude couldn’t read a defense to save his life.  That doesn’t win...  We beat everyone else because we were so talented otherwise.  He’s the difference...Wimbush was the differenxe.  Zaire...  These guys knew dick about being qbs who could throw quickly to open receivers.

It continues to boggle my mind how poorly we recruit the most important position in the game, especially considering our overall success on the field. I hate to say it, but even in the few clips I’ve seen, Buchner has a bit of a deer in the headlights look. I know he’s been here like 5 minutes, but it’s never something you want to see from that position. I was hoping he could be the guy this year and just sling it. But I’d be surprised at this point if he even sees the field this year.

9 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

It continues to boggle my mind how poorly we recruit the most important position in the game, especially considering our overall success on the field. I hate to say it, but even in the few clips I’ve seen, Buchner has a bit of a deer in the headlights look. I know he’s been here like 5 minutes, but it’s never something you want to see from that position. I was hoping he could be the guy this year and just sling it. But I’d be surprised at this point if he even sees the field this year.

That was stupid to think that. He's a true Freshman and hasn't played in a real game since 2019.