2015 ND- 53 attempts-81.13 scoring % (86th) 58.49 TD %(79th) - 34.2 PPG

2016 ND- 48 attempts- 83.33 scoring % (72nd) 62.50 TD %( 55th) -30.9 PPG

2017 ND- 46 attempts- 91.30 scoring % (14th) 76.09 TD% (8th) -34.2 PPG

2018 ND- 52 attempts- 86.54 scoring % (45th) 61.54 TD% (67th) -31.4 PPG

2019 ND- 55 attempts- 92.73 scoring % (11th) 76.36 TD% (8th) -36.8 PPG

2020 ND- 60 attempts- 76.67 scoring % (102th ) 58.33 TD % (84th) - 33.7 PPG

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

I think ND was 9th last year in 2019

How in the world did ND finish top 5 with that?

http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category27/sort01.html

I think I'm reading that right.

Cory Jbrown can you confirm?

The Irish defense was #11 for opponents scoring in the red zone.

So Irish had trouble but so did their opponents

The first concern is that these are just raw numbers. The schedule disparity has already been mentioned.

But you have to dig a little deeper to figure out why they only scored a certain percentage of the time.

I know in at least a few games, ND ended the game kneeling inside the 10 yard line. Those count as RZ trips without a score, which would hurt the percentage. Doerer missed at least a couple of short FGs which doesn't help either.

But to me the big thing is RZ TD percentage. You can't settle for FGs in today's college football, especially when ND struggled with explosive plays allowing them to score from outside the RZ.

ND was 84th in RZ TD % at 58.33% with 60 attempts. (Again, that's a big lower than it could be due to the end of game scenarios).

Alabama - 5th - 77.94% - 68 attempts

Clemson - 23rd - 70.49% - 61 attempts

Oklahoma - 33rd - 67.80% - 59 attempts

Florida - 34th - 67.74% - 62 attempts

Ohio St. - 57th - 63.64% - 44 attempts (only 8 games)

So they got to the RZ just as often as the other high powered teams, they just didn't convert those trips to TD's often enough.

They also need to be able to score explosively better to compete with the top teams.

Alabama had 31 (!!!) TD's scored from outside the RZ.

Clemson 24.

Florida 18.

OU 18

Ohio St 16 (again, 8 games)

ND 16

If you aren't scoring at a high percentage inside the RZ and you can't score consistently from outside the RZ, you aren't going to reach the heights these other high powered offenses reach.

So, this topic is on the top of my list of irritants with BK coached teams. As other have indicated the number TDs per time ND entered the red zone is abysmal. Mid 50% wont cut it. Alabama was almost 80. Clemson is I think at 70% Florida and TA&M were like 65-67% TD rate in the red zone. At a minimum, you need to score a TD 2/3 of the time in the red zone with a goal of 3/4 trips resulting in TD's just my opinion.

I do remember occasional years ND did better in the red zone. But overall, we have lacked. I still remember the countless delay of games penalties we had when Golson was the QB, many were in the RZ. perhaps this is what I'm still basing my opinion on. As a casual watcher of other games, it has also appeared to me the red zone problems is tied to overcoaching or over thinking. I have no problems with ball control offense. But in the RD, I'm a firm believer of going a little more up tempo. Slowing down seems to favor the defense. The defense doesn't have worry about giving up a big play, they can lock in and take chances. Getting to line, assessing the defense, hard counting the defense, etc. then looking back at the coach for a play, at least to me, has diminishing returns in the RZ. I don't see BK changing.

The first concern is that these are just raw numbers. The schedule disparity has already been mentioned.

But you have to dig a little deeper to figure out why they only scored a certain percentage of the time.

I know in at least a few games, ND ended the game kneeling inside the 10 yard line. Those count as RZ trips without a score, which would hurt the percentage. Doerer missed at least a couple of short FGs which doesn't help either.

But to me the big thing is RZ TD percentage. You can't settle for FGs in today's college football, especially when ND struggled with explosive plays allowing them to score from outside the RZ.

ND was 84th in RZ TD % at 58.33% with 60 attempts. (Again, that's a big lower than it could be due to the end of game scenarios).

Alabama - 5th - 77.94% - 68 attempts

Clemson - 23rd - 70.49% - 61 attempts

Oklahoma - 33rd - 67.80% - 59 attempts

Florida - 34th - 67.74% - 62 attempts

Ohio St. - 57th - 63.64% - 44 attempts (only 8 games)

So they got to the RZ just as often as the other high powered teams, they just didn't convert those trips to TD's often enough.

They also need to be able to score explosively better to compete with the top teams.

Alabama had 31 (!!!) TD's scored from outside the RZ.

Clemson 24.

Florida 18.

OU 18

Ohio St 16 (again, 8 games)

ND 16

If you aren't scoring at a high percentage inside the RZ and you can't score consistently from outside the RZ, you aren't going to reach the heights these other high powered offenses reach.

They just hit the benchmarks last year of 90 percent scoring and 70 percent TD last year in 2019 ND missed 6 FG's like you said one or two end of game

So, this topic is on the top of my list of irritants with BK coached teams. As other have indicated the number TDs per time ND entered the red zone is abysmal. Mid 50% wont cut it. Alabama was almost 80. Clemson is I think at 70% Florida and TA&M were like 65-67% TD rate in the red zone. At a minimum, you need to score a TD 2/3 of the time in the red zone with a goal of 3/4 trips resulting in TD's just my opinion.

I do remember occasional years ND did better in the red zone. But overall, we have lacked. I still remember the countless delay of games penalties we had when Golson was the QB, many were in the RZ. perhaps this is what I'm still basing my opinion on. As a casual watcher of other games, it has also appeared to me the red zone problems is tied to overcoaching or over thinking. I have no problems with ball control offense. But in the RD, I'm a firm believer of going a little more up tempo. Slowing down seems to favor the defense. The defense doesn't have worry about giving up a big play, they can lock in and take chances. Getting to line, assessing the defense, hard counting the defense, etc. then looking back at the coach for a play, at least to me, has diminishing returns in the RZ. I don't see BK changing.

yup those are the numbers we want and last year we lived up to them. 90 percent scoring 70 percent TD in 2019. The dip this year was a bit concerning but should rebound, it usually does.

yup those are the numbers we want and last year we lived up to them. 90 percent scoring 70 percent TD in 2019. The dip this year was a bit concerning but should rebound, it usually does.

I think, notwithstanding the high red zone numbers in 2019, the overall success in 2020 was more appreciated. Ideally, we have both. This year, the losses to Clemson and Alabama did not strike me as a red zone problems as much as it was our offense could not consistently move the football on either of their defenses.

I think, notwithstanding the high red zone numbers in 2019, the overall success in 2020 was more appreciated. Ideally, we have both. This year, the losses to Clemson and Alabama did not strike me as a red zone problems as much as it was our offense could not consistently move the football on either of their defenses.

They were 2 for 4 vs Bama in the RZ and lost by 17. Two TDs there and it’s an entirely different narrative.

They were 2 for 4 vs Bama in the RZ and lost by 17. Two TDs there and it’s an entirely different narrative.

It quickly becomes a 1 score game,

[ame]

[/ame]

I know I post that movie speech too much. But the last yard to get from where ND is to where it wants to be in is in the details.

DETAILS EVERYWHERE

details in the redzone

details in recruiting

Effort in recruiting

Kelly has the last figurative 5-10 yards in front of him. They are hard because there are levels to success.

SABAN is on TOP OF THE DETAILS. I PROMISE

We'll see Kelly's final push and he'll either fall inches short or lead his team across the goal line..