Toughness

When I look at our lines, linebackers and tight ends, I see toughness. This past year I liked that when we told Clemson we were going to run we knocked them back. Bama out quicked us but they didn't steal our will we wanted to score at the end. We wanted 12 more rounds. NOBODY QUIT

Toughness is running the football, making tackles making blocks that you can also hear

I'd give our toughness an 8, up from about a 6. We lose some tough guys but I hope that 12 round + attitude is still there next year.

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

I believe the big plays were there to be had this year. Book just didn’t throw them or couldn’t se them, that I’m not sure but when you have 6’4 WR on a 5’11 DB in man to man coverage I don’t care if there is separation or not the QB needs to take a few of those shots every game. I am not putting that on the QB alone he has to be coached to do that.

I believe the big plays were there to be had this year. Book just didn’t throw them or couldn’t se them, that I’m not sure but when you have 6’4 WR on a 5’11 DB in man to man coverage I don’t care if there is separation or not the QB needs to take a few of those shots every game. I am not putting that on the QB alone he has to be coached to do that.

Yeah, Book was a tough durable guy but he had some limitations. Hopefully Coan or Buckner continues the winning. Coan Short term, Buckner in a season or so.

To bring it back to the topic of the thread I watched a ton of football this year and there was not a single tougher team out there than the Irish. That’s one thing this team had in spades. They hit hard and wrapped up. Physically they were dominant.

To bring it back to the topic of the thread I watched a ton of football this year and there was not a single tougher team out there than the Irish. That’s one thing this team had in spades. They hit hard and wrapped up. Physically they were dominant.

Agreed. For some of our slower games, I felt confident we would take over later in the game just because were so well conditioned and tough.

Agreed. For some of our slower games, I felt confident we would take over later in the game just because were so well conditioned and tough.

A frustrating thing is that if you are the more talented team and also happen to be in better shape, then you should want to run as many plays as possible (i.e. go no-huddle and snap the ball as soon as possible).

As the more talented team, the more plays you run, the smaller the chance for an upset. Another benefit is that if you in better shape, the other team's defense also should get worn down.

For some reason, BK's offense seems very deliberate most of the time.

A frustrating thing is that if you are the more talented team and also happen to be in better shape, then you should want to run as many plays as possible (i.e. go no-huddle and snap the ball as soon as possible).

As the more talented team, the more plays you run, the smaller the chance for an upset. Another benefit is that if you in better shape, the other team's defense also should get worn down.

For some reason, BK's offense seems very deliberate most of the time.

I know they feared Clemson stealing signs so they went in the huddle

Some games like Louisville ND just played bad and saw a way to win with 4 minute offense.

ND actually ran more plays per game this year then last because ND got more first downs per game

Agreed with what was said. This was one of the more enjoyable seasons since 94. It was the first time I felt we were going to win almost every game and there was no chance of an upset. Even against Louisville it never felt that ND was going to lose. And as each game progressed all I can remember seeing is one player going down after another. ND absolutely man-handled many teams this season. That said, I wish we would of had some more playmakers here and there. Lenzy in particular. I just didn’t see enough big plays for a team so dominant.

When I look at our lines, linebackers and tight ends, I see toughness. This past year I liked that when we told Clemson we were going to run we knocked them back. Bama out quicked us but they didn't steal our will we wanted to score at the end. We wanted 12 more rounds. NOBODY QUIT

Toughness is running the football, making tackles making blocks that you can also hear

I'd give our toughness an 8, up from about a 6. We lose some tough guys but I hope that 12 round + attitude is still there next year.

Agreed. I'd also add Kyren Williams to that group - he may be the toughest guy on the team too. He never quit and gave ND much needed energy constantly through the season. His performance in the first Clemson game was legendary. Excited to see him next season - think he will be a captain.

Agreed. I'd also add Kyren Williams to that group - he may be the toughest guy on the team too. He never quit and gave ND much needed energy constantly through the season. His performance in the first Clemson game was legendary. Excited to see him next season - think he will be a captain.

Yes indeed, well said. Kyren can really pick up a blitzing linebacker and he's gotten better with ball security.

K. Williams and T. Tremble have toughness walking in the door and not only that, they motivate others as well.

Other fans have always thought ND players were soft generally speaking. Smart nice guys.

I think part of the issue is that Kelly is not a great motivator. Doesn't have to come from him but there always has to be someone that gets guys fired up and ready to run through a wall.

Toughness is exhibited in the culture of a program. I know a lot of people have varying opinions on Kelly, but you cannot call his teams soft. Under Weiss, they absolutely were soft, which is a big reason they lost so many games with elite skill talent.

K. Williams and T. Tremble have toughness walking in the door and not only that, they motivate others as well.

Other fans have always thought ND players were soft generally speaking. Smart nice guys.

I think part of the issue is that Kelly is not a great motivator. Doesn't have to come from him but there always has to be someone that gets guys fired up and ready to run through a wall.

Kelly has been quoted as saying that it is not the head coach's job to motivate his players.