The List: Next ND Head Coach

With it being Kelly's 3rd Complete Roster here I thought it would be time to come up with another Next ND Head Coach.

1. Matt Campbell: Current ISU coach, former Toledo Coach

2. Luke Fickell: Current Cincy Coach We've hired his assistants. From the OSU tree

3. Tom Allen: Current Indiana Coach

Just Curious who are your top 3?

With it being Kelly's 3rd Complete Roster here I thought it would be time to come up with another Next ND Head Coach.

1. Matt Campbell: Current ISU coach, former Toledo Coach

2. Luke Fickell: Current Cincy Coach We've hired his assistants. From the OSU tree

3. Tom Allen: Current Indiana Coach

Just Curious who are your top 3?

Clark Lea

Matt Campbell

Matt LeFleur =)

I wish I could put Clark on mine but Bob Davie was a good DC too.

Once upon a time, so was Nick Saban. And Pete Carroll and Barry Alvarez. Not saying that Lea is the next Saban, just that you can't accurately determine it because Bob Davie was a DC who didn't work out as our HC.

Once upon a time, so was Nick Saban. And Pete Carroll and Barry Alvarez. Not saying that Lea is the next Saban, just that you can't accurately determine it because Bob Davie was a DC who didn't work out as our HC.

I still think head coaching experience in college needs to be on the resume. Give me three years to watch Lea at Vandy, then he may make my list

I wouldn't mind if they went back to the well and got Fickell.

I think timing is going to be right for Fickell as he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to cash in on his success at Cincy.

Clark Lea won't be done finding out that taking the Vanderbilt job was a bad idea by the time this job is open.

I wouldn't mind if they went back to the well and got Fickell.

I think timing is going to be right for Fickell as he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to cash in on his success at Cincy.

Clark Lea won't be done finding out that taking the Vanderbilt job was a bad idea by the time this job is open.

He is a devout Catholic I believe which can't hurt.

Campbell is my #1. What he’s doing at Iowa St is a near miracle. Fickell is also a great coach, but if Day ever wants to jump to the NFL, he’s a lock at OSU. Lea is the wildcard, want to see how he does at Vandy. If he can get them to 5-6 wins every year, that would be a hell of a coaching job.

However, all this seems moot bc so much can change over the course of a few yrs. Remember some of the top candidates ND would’ve looked at if they fired Kelly? Mike McIntyre and Larry Fedora, how are they doing? Wasn’t it just a yr ago Coach O was Coach of the Year?

Edited by ELDER06

Matt Campbell would definitely be choice no. 1 for me. He's done a fantastic job at Iowa St and isn't ND one of his preferred destinations?

Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern would run a close 2nd. Don't know if he would have any interest though.

3rd choice is a tie between Lea, Satterfield from Louisville, PJ Fleck and Scott Frost.

Campbell is my #1. What he’s doing at Iowa St is a near miracle. Fickell is also a great coach, but if Day ever wants to jump to the NFL, he’s a lock at OSU.

Completely agree on Campbell. What that dude has built in little Ames Iowa is beyond impressive. I love the gritty edge both he and Fickell have.

When the time comes, if neither guy had moved on yet from where they are now, it would close to a coin flip for me. They are clearly my 1 & 2, or better said, 1a &b.

I care less about the coach than I do the criteria. And for me, the main criteria is "Does this coach have a track record of building successful programs at a number of stops up to and including the level 'right below' where ND is at?". This assumes you can't poach a successful coach from an equivalent school, of course (see, Stoops, Bob).

I only have first-hand observation back to Lou but even in that time, the failures seem to be "No's" to that question and the successes seem to be "Yes's". From what I've read historical, the same seems to be true of previous coaches.

IMHO, the x/o and recruiting part of ND is the small potatoes piece, which is saying something. The pressing the flesh, the marketing, the facilities, etc. are where the cream rises to the top.

On the names above, fickell and maybe allen could fit the bill. Admittedly, I know very little about Campbell but Lea is a non-starter for me. He needs a LOT of seasoning.

By the time Kelly leaves, there's going to be an entirely different list of folks available.

Exactly. At this point Kelly will be ND's coach until he decides to retire.

As a fan, I hope that BK decides to elevate his effort towards recruiting but, for better or worse, he is the Irish coach for probably at least three more years.

IMHO, the ... recruiting part of ND is the small potatoes piece

I disagree. Having looked at the numbers, the coaches who have won multiple NCs have all elevated the recruiting over the average even at "easy" to recruit at schools such as Southern Cal, Ohio St, Alabama, Clemson, etc.

IMO, Recruiting is the number one difference maker for NC winning coaches