Another writers take on Alabama game and Kelly

I am not sure what was more disappointing, Notre Dame’s lackluster offensive game plan, the fact Notre Dame once again lost in convincing fashion on the big stage, or head coach Brian Kelly’s post-game rant.

Kelly isn't happy, it would seem, about the earned narrative that Notre Dame, when the lights are brightest, are rarely even competitive, much less victorious.

Kelly was upset about a number of things following the game. The list included the local media not praising him for a great season (not our job), questions about why his team has lost yet another big game by double digits (apparently margins don’t matter), and he's not happy that he keeps getting asked that why, after 11 seasons, Notre Dame still isn't a championship level program.

More at link

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-brian-kelly-pushes-back-against-championship-standard

The only thing he was wrong about is it wasn’t just the sidelines that was the problem, at was also what was on the field. Alabama was bigger, faster, and stronger on the outside. Either our linebackers and safeties were to slow to cover them, or our corners were getting stiff armed to the ground and run over.

Alabama made every tackle against our guys save a few against Kyren.... who would/could play for Bama.

The only thing he was wrong about is it wasn’t just the sidelines that was the problem, at was also what was on the field. Alabama was bigger, faster, and stronger on the outside. Either our linebackers and safeties were to slow to cover them, or our corners were getting stiff armed to the ground and run over.

Alabama made every tackle against our guys save a few against Kyren.... who would/could play for Bama.

I agree, that was the only part I disagreed with. But that is another Kelly failure because he could recruit better but he is lazy at recruiting. Weis showed you can recruit great here if you put in maximum effort. That is about the only thing Weis did provide.

Kelly will always be god but not great. As ND fans have seen he is not the guy that becomes like a Leahy where winning at all cost is important. Heck, Frank was still recruiting for ND while serving in world war II.

But he has brought us back to the stage where more fans are watching. Players on both sides of the ball are in shape, the facilities are updated.

The next hire at head coach will really matter. I'm hoping for Matt Campbell.

5* players matter. And it's not that we don't have enough. It's that we have none.

If Weis could recruit that caliber of talent at ND (especially while yielding mediocre results on the field), then the excuses like weather and academics go out the window.

It can be done. You can "develop" players all you want, but that won't be enough to close the talent gap.

5* players matter. And it's not that we don't have enough. It's that we have none.

If Weis could recruit that caliber of talent at ND (especially while yielding mediocre results on the field), then the excuses like weather and academics go out the window.

It can be done. You can "develop" players all you want, but that won't be enough to close the talent gap.

Thank you and exactly right. I’m tired of this age old excuse that it’s hard to get”any” 5 stars. Can you miss, yes. But Kelly has built enough depth now that he can afford to miss on a few recruits and still have his “developmental” players in the background. They did that with Shipley and still got the New Jersey player of the year.

Kelly is not a good enough coach to be a lazy recruiter.

Here is the percentage of Brian Kelly's and Weis classes that fall out of the top 300 recruits.

2006 48%

2007 18%

2008 17%

2009 38%

2010 73%

2011 45%

2012 47%

2013 26%

2014 33%

2015 45%

2016 68%

2017 50%

2018 59%

2019 43%

2020 44%

2021 67%

He is descending, not ascending. The reason we are winning more is the schedule sucks. The ACC deal has built in wins for Kellyto pad his win totals.

Here is the percentage of Brian Kelly's and Weis classes that fall out of the top 300 recruits.

2006 48%

2007 18%

2008 17%

2009 38%

2010 73%

2011 45%

2012 47%

2013 26%

2014 33%

2015 45%

2016 68%

2017 50%

2018 59%

2019 43%

2020 44%

2021 67%

He is descending, not ascending. The reason we are winning more is the schedule sucks. The ACC deal has built in wins for Kellyto pad his win totals.

It's not that he's a lazy recruiter. Based on the things hes said about "primadonna players" in the past, I think he avoids high profile recruits over concerns that they will be stubborn and resistant to being molded into his system.

Posted (edited)
It's not that he's a lazy recruiter. Based on the things hes said about "primadonna players" in the past, I think he avoids high profile recruits over concerns that they will be stubborn and resistant to being molded into his system.

I think evidence and the information we hear/see suggest Kelly does not like recruiting. In my mind it is lazy, but the result is the same whatever the reasoning.

Edited by cali_domer

We don’t give out enough $50k handshakes... If I worked for the IRS, I’d audit every family of the Bama recruits for unreported income and work my way up the food chain. I might also wind up in a ditch, but at least people would know what’s up at that point.

We don’t give out enough $50k handshakes... If I worked for the IRS, I’d audit every family of the Bama recruits for unreported income and work my way up the food chain. I might also wind up in a ditch, but at least people would know what’s up at that point.

That is a weak excuse. Does it happen? Sure but let's not pretend that is the reason people want to play for great coaches. If Weis could compete with them sure as hell Kelly could.

Weis was a hotshot OC under Belichick with 3 superbowl rings (with the last coming after he was hired). His resume lured the recruits.

There would be a long line behind Bama for them to look into, I am afraid.

Kelly’s first year he recruited awesome. I agree though, that class made him recruit “his guys” instead of stars. Aaron Lynch, and Ishaq Williams are a big reason. That 2011 class was a well recruited class. It was weak at linebacker and OL. We solved one of those. Some other players just never developed.

Player development is much better now... can we recruit like that again?

2006 48%

2007 18%

2008 17%

2009 38%

2010 73%

2011 45%

2012 47%

2013 26%

2014 33%

2015 45%

2016 68%

2017 50%

2018 59%

2019 43%

2020 44%

2021 67%

This is a great point. We keep racking up wins over bad to mediocre teams and then claim we are great because we had a 10 win season. The lack of big time meaningful wins is glaring over the last several years. Some people here are fine with this approach but it is just a house of cards and then when we play good teams it all comes crashing down.

Same author wrote an article about the lack of freshmen use on the field. Specifically RB and WR. Which is an area I think is severely lacking. I get not using an OL, QB, or most defensive positions. However, you can get fast frosh on the field at WR and RB. They don't have to be complete players when they arrive. Finding a couple touches for players who can create speed mismatches is an area CBK has failed at miserably in my opinion. The fact Tyree saw the field is the exception and not the rule.

Sounds like Kelly has one hell of an ego that needs to be stroked. The Little Big Man Syndrome who can't handle the truth.

I thought these bits from the linked article in the opening post sum it up well

Brian Kelly Wants To Talk Championships, But Not Be Held To A Championship Standard

Perhaps Kelly needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and make a choice. Either stop talking about national championships being the goal and embrace being a tier two program, or embrace that those who analyze and cover the program take him at his word that the standard is championships, and be willing to be accountable for the areas where the program continues to fall short …. and fix it.

The reality is that we’ll never win without a qb who can read a defense and find the open guys down field. A buddy of mine who coaches a lot of ball, talks with Chip Long, confirmed my suspicions. He said it’s sickening how many pi$$ poor reads Book made to check down or run versus throwing to the proper open read. He broke down a couple of plays against Bama where Book avoided the proper read and it cost us dearly. Hell, I saw it at the bowl game last year how many wide open guys like Claypool that Book just didn’t see or care to see. This has been a pattern back to Wimbush to Zaire to Golson... Can’t remember Kizer’s tendencies and boycotted the one season he qb’d.

Until we get a qb who can read a defense and make the proper throws, we won’t make it to the next level. We either need a qb who is already coached and developed or we need a coach who can do it. We don’t have the coaching at the qb position right now.

And, to digress into diversity, this is the prime example of failures from lack of diversity. Unfortunately, most people associate diversity with skin color which is not the proper context. Diversity means diversity or thought and experiences. When Kelly hired Rees, he hired an echo chamber...a mini-Kelly. Now, rather than having any unique or creative insight that can challenge Kelly’s habits or tendencies with new ideas, we have a “yes” man who is nothing but a copy of Kelly. It’s a recipe for failure... We’re stuck and we’re stagnant until we can get someone dynamic at the OC position.

He has a disdain for 5* quarterbacks from California..

Remember how he handled the Dayne Crist situation?

Tommy Rees was coddled because he was a 3* "gamer" but refused to give Dayne Crist any breaks.

He has a disdain for 5* quarterbacks from California..

Remember how he handled the Dayne Crist situation?

Tommy Rees was coddled because he was a 3* "gamer" but refused to give Dayne Crist any breaks.

Dayne Crist was a f***ing nut job. That dude had so many screws loose...almost looked like he had ptsd from serving in Nam or something. I’ve never seen a qb freeze as badly as that dude.

Dayne Crist was a f***ing nut job. That dude had so many screws loose...almost looked like he had ptsd from serving in Nam or something. I’ve never seen a qb freeze as badly as that dude.

I hear you.. He looked pretty damn good against Purdue when Clausen was down.

perhaps he lost his nuts when Kelly got to campus.

We go way back on forums together & yet again, i agree wholeheartedly. I still think that academics play a roll but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking every player on bama, clemson and osu are “dumbasses”.

As far as developing players, you’re spot-on. I remember reading an SI article,MANY years ago, about how Nick, Les & maybe some others often recruited quite a few “athletes” as position in Rivals & Scout. These athletes were recruited and developed as needed. I’d venture to say you’d better be one helluva coach with one helluva developing system & personnel