What we've learned

It’s easy to recruit when the “smartest” player on the team has a Masters in Sports Hospitality.

I know this sucks, but ND didn’t lie down today. They held up in the Trenches, but 3 out of 5 Heisman Finalists are too much for any D to handle

-Kelly is a big step behind Dabo/Saban and gets exposed more when there is extra prep time.

-Conservative/scared coming out of the tunnel and they called plays the same way.

-ND needs an elite qb and more speed at WR/CB.

1. Liked the way the front seven competed.

2. We were outclassed on the perimeter.

3. Hat tip to Kyren Wiliams.

4. Ian Book is a really tough guy who fights still the end.

5. Thaqks for a great season guys.

I’m sorry, but it’s not a great season when you lose the last two games that actually mean something.

Notre Dame won 10 games again...cool. Who gives a s**t!

I’m sorry, but it’s not a great season when you lose the last two games that actually mean something.

Notre Dame won 10 games again...cool. Who gives a s**t!

probably the teams that never win 10 games.

Alot of teams would fair that way against #1 and probably number 2 or 3 pending the outcome of #2 or #3.

Kelly overmatched???

There wasn't a scheme possible that would have overcome the difference in talent today. Not sure what you were watching.

Easiest way to identify a clueless fan is someone who blames the coach any time their team loses. There was a clear mismatch in talent for anyone with a brain who watched that game today.

probably the teams that never win 10 games.

Alot of teams would fair that way against #1 and probably number 2 or 3 pending the outcome of #2 or #3.

Not just #1, but a #1 team with 6 AAS and 3/5 of the Heisman ballot.

Easiest way to identify a clueless fan is someone who blames the coach any time their team loses. There was a clear mismatch in talent for anyone with a brain who watched that game today.

We have pulled even with the elites now in the trenches. We are still way behind in perimeter talent and QB play unfortunately.

We have pulled even with the elites now in the trenches. We are still way behind in perimeter talent and QB play unfortunately.

They’ve had elite WRs in the past. Some young guys show promise. Corner and QB really worries me.

Saban let off the gas second half, there was no danger we were going to catch them in this track meet.

We were pantsed once again in the big game. Yes Bama has the horses and they have the coaches as well, so does Clemson and OSU. I will continue to point the finger squarely at Kelly when all is said and done, the buck stops with him. No excuses. Scheme, game day, player developement, recruiting, staff, all decided by him. He's good enough to keep us around the conversation every couple years, but never really taken seriously as a threat to reach the apex and do some damage. He is what he is and sits on the coldest seat in CFB with this blueprint. He'll unfortunately surpass Rockne as our winningest coach, without actually achieving anything of significance.

We'll be back perhaps in another couple years to repeat the cycle, after our new starters get some time and experience.

We learned our CBs are not good enough to stop explosive WRs.

We learned that we don’t play our fastest WRs. We learned that we only use big possession receivers.

We learned we’re not equal to Clemson and Alabama, and need near perfect play to pull the upset.

And we learned that we’re improving over the past few years, even if we’ve got further to go

We can split hairs on coaching and scheme all day long and no one will have answers.

Elite talent overcomes a lot of coaching deficiencies.

Over the past 4 years, Alabama has signed 20 5 Stars. ND had signed 2. That’s the difference between ND and Bama, Clemson and OSU. Sure we get an elite player here or there. But those other three schools have them in droves and line them up across the board. That manifests itself in immeasurable ways that shows up on Saturdays.

Unfortunately, ND can’t compete on that level. Not in the foreseeable future. Short of the stars aligning, getting an all-world QB to come and pan out, and some really good luck, ND isn’t going to win a national title. I don’t care who coaches here.

Honestly, we’d need ND’s all decade team to compete in the game today and we still might not win. That’s how big the talent gap is.

So be happy with 10 or 11 win seasons and maybe a shot at the playoff. That’s as close as we’re going to get.

Edited by SDIrishFan

Watching OSU and Clemson we don’t belong. We beat Clemson this year which is the biggest win I can remember, but they weren’t at full strength and it was at home.. neutral site we have no chance.

I also notice Bama, OSU, Clemson using a lot of RPO , with motion and flat routes.. is there a reason we don’t? Is it that Book can’t run them?

We can split hairs on coaching and scheme all day long and no one will have answers.

Over the past 4 years, Alabama has signed 20 5 Stars. ND had signed 2. That’s the difference between ND and Bama, Clemson and OSU. Sure we get an elite player here or there. But those other three schools have them in droves and line them up across the board. That manifests itself in immeasurable ways that shows up on Saturdays.

Unfortunately, ND can’t compete on that level. Not in the foreseeable future. Short of the stars aligning, getting an all-world QB to come and pan out, and some really good luck, ND isn’t going to win a national title. I don’t care who coaches here.

Honestly, we’d need ND’s all decade team to compete in the game today and we still might not win. That’s how big the talent gap is.

So be happy with 10 or 11 win seasons and maybe a shot at the playoff. That’s as close as we’re going to get.

Agreed. If you want to compare apples to apples everyone has to have apples.

You gotta have both. Weis could recruit top skill positions on O anyhow, not so much D and he was left with a huge hole on OL after '06. Davie was still able to recruit top 5-10 classes, which also set up TW to start 8-0 his first year on talent alone.

Yes I want to get as many top recruits as we can get, who wouldn't. As it stands our offense doesn't excite top QBs, and we don't have a reputation of developing them either. Call me a height supremacist, but I want QBs that are at minimum 6'02 in person and not on paper, who can see routes down the middle of the field. No more midgets. I don't care if they can run or are a statue.

Till ND has equal or better talent on the field as the likes of Ala, OSU, Clem & maybe Georgia, I have to assume it's the players and not the coaching.

That said, ND has to find a way to better deal with the obstacles their academic requirements present in order to improve recruiting. Swarbrick needs to be creative in finding ways to help the team without sacrificing standards.

I do feel weak areas of the team have potentially better players on the horizon such as CB, DL, WR and RB's. Looking at the current and recent past recruiting, as long as ND has a QB as good or better than Book, they will be in the picture for the CFP.

ND is never going to contend for NCs as often as the teams mentioned above. However, outside of those team which leaves a crap load of programs, ND is in better shape. If you are expecting ND to have consistent success like Clem or Ala, you are just torturing yourself.

Kelly overmatched???

There wasn't a scheme possible that would have overcome the difference in talent today. Not sure what you were watching.

Completely...100% agree. I’m frustrated with the anti-BK crew. At some point it just becomes ignorance.

Till ND has equal or better talent on the field as the likes of Ala, OSU, Clem & maybe Georgia, I have to assume it's the players and not the coaching.

That said, ND has to find a way to better deal with the obstacles their academic requirements present in order to improve recruiting. Swarbrick needs to be creative in finding ways to help the team without sacrificing standards.

I do feel weak areas of the team have potentially better players on the horizon such as CB, DL, WR and RB's. Looking at the current and recent past recruiting, as long as ND has a QB as good or better than Book, they will be in the picture for the CFP.

ND is never going to contend for NCs as often as the teams mentioned above. However, outside of those team which leaves a crap load of programs, ND is in better shape. If you are expecting ND to have consistent success like Clem or Ala, you are just torturing yourself.

I agree but there’s some stripes that even Swarbrick can’t hide. Even if you lighten academic standards, which I’m not convinced are that hard for athletes even at ND, you still have issues with weather, lack of never ending coeds, a dumpy town, du Lac, etc. it’s at this point, too much for ND to compete at the highest level in today’s game.