Academic standards

I was jr high-early high school in the late 80's early 90's run for ND. I keep hearing about how they loosened up academic standards during that time. Obviously the internet was in it's infancy and 99% of people didn't have it, so following recruiting wasn't even on my radar screen. How loose are we talking with standards? I mean, how far would we have to drop them to get some of these borderline kids today? Anybody with knowledge care to elaborate?

I was jr high-early high school in the late 80's early 90's run for ND. I keep hearing about how they loosened up academic standards during that time. Obviously the internet was in it's infancy and 99% of people didn't have it, so following recruiting wasn't even on my radar screen. How loose are we talking with standards? I mean, how far would we have to drop them to get some of these borderline kids today? Anybody with knowledge care to elaborate?

It's not even about standards anymore. Most kids can get in. The problem is that the best players don't want to get in.

Would you want to deal with the strict academics and honor code of ND with dreary weather, dumpy college town and lack of attractive easy girls?

Or would you rather deal with a school that allows you to concentrate on football while getting an easier academic path, allows the football coaches to administer discipline, beautiful weather and beautiful coeds that are willing to drop their panties on a dime for you?

It’s not borderline kids that are an issue, it’s kids that are basically at grade school level intelligence. I think if you’ve got a borderline kid but he’s committed to work in the classroom, it’s a no brained, you take him. The problem is, there’s so many kids that just don’t want to put in the work.

I worked in sports information and had access to all the players’ real info. Trust me, our academic standards aren’t that high. We just don’t take complete ret@rds. I hope that sums it up. The academic standards bs is made up by our laziest coaches about why they can’t succeed or get kids. When you look, however, they aren’t on the road...instead they’re golfing or practicing running 8 minute miles backwards.

Don’t buy the hype on that excuse.

I worked in sports information and had access to all the players’ real info. Trust me, our academic standards aren’t that high. We just don’t take complete ret@rds. I hope that sums it up. The academic standards bs is made up by our laziest coaches about why they can’t succeed or get kids. When you look, however, they aren’t on the road...instead they’re golfing or practicing running 8 minute miles backwards.

Don’t buy the hype on that excuse.

You’re telling me it’s not as disadvantage when you tell recruits they have to go to class and keep academically, but at OSU, Clemson, Bama they can just party and occasionally show up to class? I call bulls**t. I know the standards aren’t that hard, but it still requires an effort that’s not needed at other programs

Let me clear the confusion...

The requirements to qualify at ND are a tad bit higher than most other power 5 schools...a tad. However, most (and I am talking about 90+ percent) recruits that enroll in a power 5 school absolutely could qualify....maybe even 95%.

Academically, the difference comes down to requirements once you are enrolled.

At ND, it is expected of all students that they attend REAL classes towards their MAJOR. The are not many easy classes and the idea of an "undecided" major do not exist at ND.

Most of the other schools (and probably all "elite" football programs) have gimme classes and do not require player to declare a major until their 3rd (I think) year.

There are many other schools that have higher academic standards for admission, but ND is at a MUCH higher standard once a person is enrolled.

In short, it is MUCH more difficult to be a STUDENT ATHLETE at ND than it is to be an ATHLETE STUDENT at probably any other power 5 (and all "elite" football) schools.

Let me clear the confusion...

The requirements to qualify at ND are a tad bit higher than most other power 5 schools...a tad. However, most (and I am talking about 90+ percent) recruits that enroll in a power 5 school absolutely could qualify....maybe even 95%.

Academically, the difference comes down to requirements once you are enrolled.

At ND, it is expected of all students that they attend REAL classes towards their MAJOR. The are not many easy classes and the idea of an "undecided" major do not exist at ND.

Most of the other schools (and probably all "elite" football programs) have gimme classes and do not require player to declare a major until their 3rd (I think) year.

There are many other schools that have higher academic standards for admission, but ND is at a MUCH higher standard once a person is enrolled.

In short, it is MUCH more difficult to be a STUDENT ATHLETE at ND than it is to be an ATHLETE STUDENT at probably any other power 5 (and all "elite" football) schools.

That’s correct. The expectation you’ll have to work in the classroom isn’t appealing even to kids who qualify w/o issue.

You’re telling me it’s not as disadvantage when you tell recruits they have to go to class and keep academically, but at OSU, Clemson, Bama they can just party and occasionally show up to class? I call bulls**t. I know the standards aren’t that hard, but it still requires an effort that’s not needed at other programs

So, you want those people representing your school...? No way. That’s trash.

But, let’s call it what it is - It’s cheating by the other programs. Our standards are a bit higher than others, but not much. What happens once they’re enrolled must be enforced, but that’s not an academic standard...it’s cheating the system the same as handing over money. The NCAA needs to get on top of it.

Regardless, our best coaches never use our standards as a crutch or excuse. Ty Willingham was the worst of the worst, though, and used it every chance he got to cover his refusal to get on the road and recruit. Davie used it as well to cover his mediocrity even though he was actually a good recruiter.

Edited by irishwavend
So, you want those people representing your school...? No way. That’s trash.

But, let’s call it what it is - It’s cheating by the other programs. Our standards are a bit higher than others, but not much. What happens once they’re enrolled must be enforced, but that’s not an academic standard...it’s cheating the system the same as handing over money. The NCAA needs to get on top of it.

Regardless, our best coaches never use our standards as a crutch or excuse. Ty Willingham was the worst of the worst, though, and used it every chance he got to cover his refusal to get on the road and recruit. Davie used it as well to cover his mediocrity even though he was actually a good recruiter.

I agree, it’s not an excuse for being unable to win 10 games consistently. However, it’s a legitimate hindrance when trying to become elite.

It’s not borderline kids that are an issue, it’s kids that are basically at grade school level intelligence. I think if you’ve got a borderline kid but he’s committed to work in the classroom, it’s a no brained, you take him. The problem is, there’s so many kids that just don’t want to put in the work.

Bingo! Any ND alum would tell you that, myself included.

Like the kid who threw a shoe 20 yards down the field to keep LSU's drive alive.

ND doesn't want those kinds of dummies.

Like the kid who threw a shoe 20 yards down the field to keep LSU's drive alive.

ND doesn't want those kinds of dummies.

Seriously, as a coach, what do you do with a kid like that? I would bench him for the rest of year and he will have to earn his spot for the next year. If he leaves, so be it.

Agree. And make him do community projects in the offseason to even earn the chance for a spot back. If he doesn’t agree to that, better luck somewhere else. I wouldn’t put up with something like that no matter how talented a kid is. Something like that can ruin a culture in the locker room.

Or his team's season.

Watch some of the player interviews with Bama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State and Florida types...these guys better hope/pray they make the NFL or they won't be able to make it in "real life" with a career in a 9 to 5 job. Its sad actually how dumb some of these morons are but they are pushed along in these football factories. One bad injury, or off field shooting, rape, dog fighting, etc "incident" and its all over for these guys.

Watch some of the player interviews with Bama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State and Florida types...these guys better hope/pray they make the NFL or they won't be able to make it in "real life" with a career in a 9 to 5 job. Its sad actually how dumb some of these morons are but they are pushed along in these football factories. One bad injury, or off field shooting, rape, dog fighting, etc "incident" and its all over for these guys.

Exactly! after I watch a recruiting interview, I can usually tell immediately if Nd has a shot with that player or even wants that player.

"I didn't come here to play school", Cardale Jones, OSU:brick: