What we've learned

FaithInIrishForever

We've learned that with a top 3-5 coach and top 10 recruiting classes we're never going to be elite.

We'll be pretty damn good. Won't have any problems with the UNCs the Boston Colleges or the Pitts anymore but we won't be able to out-shine the big boys on the big stage.

Need to start paying players and get some juice passed around the locker room.

1) Having your DC announce he's leaving days before the big game doesn't help your defense keep its spirits up

2) Tommy Rees needs to do better. He's looked good this season a bunch (personally, I was surprised), but he's not great yet.

3) We only throw to tall guys. That won't lure any burners to the team in the future.

At the end of the day, though, I'm going to steal a page from the Presidential playbook and declare that we won the game today. In fact, we won the National Championship today. Don't be fooled by the mainstream media or "numbers" or "reason." We dominated Clemson in an unprecedented manner.

1) Having your DC announce he's leaving days before the big game doesn't help your defense keep its spirits up

I think Clemson's OC is getting interest from other programs but he's deflected and focused on the task at hand. Hasn't even interviewed and our DC has already accepted a job. F'ing stupid. Shouldn't have been allowed to interview since the playoff was in grasp. All we needed was a 10 point loss.

We've learned that with a top 3-5 coach and top 10 recruiting classes we're never going to be elite.

The talent gap is a real thing. If you look at the star ratings for ND vs the other CFP potential teams you can see how wide the gap is. If we can't close the gap then seasons like this are as good as it is going to get.

The talent gap is a real thing. If you look at the star ratings for ND vs the other CFP potential teams you can see how wide the gap is. If we can't close the gap then seasons like this are as good as it is going to get.

The gap is never going to be totally closed, that's just the reality. However, that doesn't mean once a decade they won't have a team capable of competing with the best. There's a lot of variables that go into that, but they're inching closer.

The WR corps next year could be really good if the best players are allowed to see the field. Jefferson, Watts, Austin, Mayer, Lenzy, and several impressive incoming frosh. A good OL will only get you so far. You just need a decent OL with elite playmakers and QB. If ND’s o-line was blocking for Bama or Clemson’s skill players, they would look awesome.

We'll be pretty damn good. Won't have any problems with the UNCs the Boston Colleges or the Pitts anymore but we won't be able to out-shine the big boys on the big stage.

Need to start paying players and get some juice passed around the locker room.

Unfortunately, top ten classes have been too few. I'm also not sure that I would argue that BK is a top 3 coach until he wins more than one big game every five years.

If Kelly had never taken his foot off the gas from a recruiting perspective and made better coordinator decisions, he would have probably won 10 more games while at ND ( including maybe even a big bowl game)

In any case, he's ND's coach until he retires. It's too bad that he will probably never win a playoff game at ND

Unfortunately, top ten classes have been too few. I'm also not sure that I would argue that BK is a top 3 coach until he wins more than one big game every five years.

If Kelly had never taken his foot off the gas from a recruiting perspective and made better coordinator decisions, he would have probably won 10 more games while at ND ( including maybe even a big bowl game)

In any case, he's ND's coach until he retires. It's too bad that he will probably never win a playoff game at ND

See, that's the s**t I cannot stand. He'll get there at some point, they're too close not to finally get over the hump. The only issue is these blowout losses vs elite teams are hard to stomach.

I don’t follow recruiting as closely as most of you do but just logged into 247 and saw we haven’t inked more than 1 5* since 2015 and rarely have top 10 classes.. probably average 13/14 according to 247 sports.

I don’t follow recruiting as closely as most of you do but just logged into 247 and saw we haven’t inked more than 1 5* since 2015 and rarely have top 10 classes.. probably average 13/14 according to 247 sports.

Some of that can be overcome with player development, but ND needs to get more 4 and 5 star skill guys. The O-line guys they get are plenty good enough to win big.

Remember when Ohio State won a championship about half a decade ago? They did it behind a massive QB named Cardale Jones. Guy was like 6’ 6” and 270 lbs.

They’d literally just send him smashing into the line or some times he’d head towards the line and pop back and pass a quick slant.

I have no idea why we’ve never tried to replicate that. You don’t even need to have him be your QB, could be your runningback.

I just want a massive back in the redzone and just tell him to run straight for the cornerbacks.

I promise you against any team by the 3rd quarter he’ll be running for 10 yards a carry as cornerbacks will want no more of that.

I didn't learn anything, just reinforced what I already knew. Alabama and Clemson are the only elite teams today. There are a handful of teams that drift in and out of that group depending on year. Notre Dame flirts with that group occasionally, but will never be there consistently. It is what it is. I probably need to start following one of the smaller conferences if I want any true parity in the game. The power 5 are in a choke hold by a handful of teams, and until the NCAA wants to actually change that, it ain't going to. Seriously... how long can a couple of teams dominate before something is rotten in Denmark?

Well it could be worse....ND could have allowed 35 point in the first half like UF is doing.

Hell I’m not sure a CFP bid against Bama is going to go any better than today did for ND.

Is it lunacy to hope BK finally figures it out, gets his team to beat Bama and get this big game choke monkey off his back?

Against this Bama team? Yes. and I’ll stand by BK even after they get blown out, but this Bams team is too good.

Fla got beat by a sorry lsu team and they are hanging tough with Bama. That’s all I want BK to get ND to do in these big games when teams are healthy and at full strength. Is that too much to ask?

Fla got beat by a sorry lsu team and they are hanging tough with Bama. That’s all I want BK to get ND to do in these big games when teams are healthy and at full strength. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, yes it is...so close only to get kicked in the nuts time and time again.

They’ve lost these types of games close (FSU ‘14, Clemson ‘15, UGA ‘17).

If anyone learned anything after yesterdays game they haven't been paying attention. Kelly doesn't show up in big games. Period. End of story. He stands like a statue on the sidelines with no emotion, with a look in his eyes like "here we go again".

Do you notice Dabo and Venables on the sidelines? Full of excitement and enthusiasm. Kelly stands like his feet are cemented in the ground with no emotion or feeling.

Players feed off of their coaches. Coaches make the game fun. This is what players want and need. Heck even Saban smiles once and awhile and will chew out an assistant on the sidelines. Kelly just stands there hoping & praying for a miracle.

Kelly may have a very good win & loss record but when the money is on the table he fails time and time again. He belongs at a school were the expectations are not very high and if he pulls off an upset every now and then he will be considered a saint.