Wouldn’t it be better to go to a NY6 bowl and win...

I think the Clemson we saw tonight would beat the Bama we are seeing tonight but its still first quarter and we looked like we had the upper hand during the first quarter so we shall see.

We did? When? When we were up 3-0?

People keep talking about Trevor. He played ok tonight. The difference maker was the 3 defensive players they were missing the first time.

People keep talking about Trevor. He played ok tonight. The difference maker was the 3 defensive players they were missing the first time.

Nope.

Etienne had way more yards tonight because of what Trevor Lawrence brings to the table.

I was on Clemson’s message board and toward the end of the first quarter they were debating the possibility that “maybe Notre Dame is just a better team [than Clemson]”

I think it’s rare for a team to make the CFB twice in 5 yr period, believe ND would be in select company; Bama, Okla, Clemson, and OSU. No one remembers NY6 games and recruits don’t care. Rather get blown out on the big stage than win in a game that no one remembers. Recruits want to be at the dance win or lose. My perception is that not many care about any bowl game outside the playoffs since the bcs went away. I guarantee recruits do not sign up to play Iowa State in a bowl game.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

Thank you. This is exactly what I said after ND win the first game. Lawrence is going to help, but missing their three starting leaders on defense was the biggest issue.

You’re missing the point.

You crawl, you walk, you run.

Right now we are walking. We’ve won a couple of big games but we need to keep winning big games to attract the top talent. Blow outs like this won’t do that.

If we go off to the playoffs and get murdered by Bama after getting murdered by Clemson then we are back to square one in public opinion that ND can’t win big games.

So we need to get in a big game with an opponent that can’t just win on the talent gap alone.

I think it’s rare for a team to make the CFB twice in 5 yr period, believe ND would be in select company; Bama, Okla, Clemson, and OSU. No one remembers NY6 games and recruits don’t care. Rather get blown out on the big stage than win in a game that no one remembers. Recruits want to be at the dance win or lose. My perception is that not many care about any bowl game outside the playoffs since the bcs went away. I guarantee recruits do not sign up to play Iowa State in a bowl game.

Both fantastic points. On one hand, you want to keep building on the course the Irish are on. You want to start attracting those elite kids. You don't wanna lose big bowl games, especially by a blowout. The truly elite kids are not going to want to go to Notre Dame if they know they're not going to be able to compete with the big football factory schools for a National Championship. ND will continue to get these high caliber kids in the tier below elite and continue to be a high caliber team in the tier below elite.

On the other hand, elite kids want to play in the elite games. They'll wanna go to the schools who are perennially playing in those games. Maybe you get enough elite kids to try and sway other elite kids to want to come to ND to try and push it over the hump. There's only so many spots on the big 3 schools. All the 5 stars can't go there if they all wanna play.

Edited by NYGoldenDomer
Both fantastic points. On one hand, you want to keep building on the course the Irish are on. You want to start attracting those elite kids. You don't wanna lose big bowl games, especially by a blowout. The truly elite Kids are not going to want to go to Notre Dame if they know they're not going to be able to compete with the big football factory schools for a National Championship. We'll continue to get these high caliber kids in the tier below elite and continue to be a high caliber team in the tier below elite.

On the other hand, elite kids want to play in the elite games. They'll wanna go to the schools who are perennially playing in those games. Maybe you get enough elite kids to try and sway other elite kids to want to come to ND to try and push it over the hump. There's only so many spots on the big 3 schools. All the 5 stars can't go there if they all wanna play.

This is what I don't understand, Bama, Clemson and OSU all have 5 Star kids behind 5 Star Kids and they are waiting on the bench. They could play right away if they chose ND but they don't. Hmmmm,,,,,

This is what I don't understand, Bama, Clemson and OSU all have 5 Star kids behind 5 Star Kids and they are waiting on the bench. They could play right away if they chose ND but they don't. Hmmmm,,,,,

You don’t understand? Just look at the NBA. The paving your own course days are over. These kids go where they will win a championship and go to the next level. Work hard. Sheesh...

I love ND....i say it and i truly mean it...there is no sporting even that gets me excited more than watching ND Football...I am 100% behind ND...i will wait until the final whistle.....i always give ND a chance..I don't really care much about our opponents. Now to answer your question, hell no...I prefer the playoffs...

It's the same reason why all the 5* recruits pick Kentucky and Duke in college basketball, you go where you have the best chance to win and get drafted high.

You don’t understand? Just look at the NBA. The paving your own course days are over. These kids go where they will win a championship and go to the next level. Work hard. Sheesh...

It's the same reason why all the 5* recruits pick Kentucky and Duke in college basketball, you go where you have the best chance to win and get drafted high.

So Notre Dame isn't high profile? They don't have their great players going to the NFL?

So Notre Dame isn't high profile? They don't have their great players going to the NFL?

In going to two CFP's in three years, Kelly has actually raised ND's profile from where it was a couple of years ago (diminished in part due to 2016). The next thing which is needed is to win high profile games. He has now won ONE such regular season game since 2013 which helped but that win did just have a lot of its luster get tarnished by getting destroyed by Clemson.

He now needs to win a major post-season game. One can argue that the last big post-season win in Kelly's career was his last Div II championship game. That type of record probably does not move the needle for most five star recruits.

He also needs to have more skilled position players have NFL success. I am guessing that having Claypool and Boykin catching TDs on Sundays helps but having more WRs, RBs, and QBs as long-time starters and stars in the NFL will help improve the ND brand with recruits the most since those positions get most of the recognition on a week to week basis (due to fantasy football and highlights)

At the end of the day, it really comes down to recruiting. Better recruiting yields both better team success and increased individual NFL success which then makes it easier to recruit even better. Player development and coaching comes into play but the number one factor is recruiting.

I’m talking about winning too. Lebron and all those guys joined together to make super squads to win a championship and make their lives easier. That’s what these kids do now. Go to ND work hard and maybe get drafted. Eh...