Next DC coach?

coltssb

Elko please

Assuming this isn't a joke, there is no practical way to make this happen. Assuming ND would be willing to pay the amount needed to get him (a big assumption), we would have immediately priced him into a '22 HC candidate. One hot season and he's gone which opens its own can of worms beyond being right back on the market for a new DC.

We have a really good defensive system and philosophy right now and we have specifically recruited players for that system for a long time.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

I'd rather get someone who runs the same or similar defense (4-2-5) for now and if that doesn't work, blow it up later. This was the same idea when we transitioned from Elko to Lea.

I hate to see us transition to another defensive concept right now when it appears that we finally figured it out. I guess this is just college football.

I agree. I don't want to blow up the system that ND has had so much success with over the last four seasons and has recruited for.

We have a really good defensive system and philosophy right now and we have specifically recruited players for that system for a long time.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

I'd rather get someone who runs the same or similar defense (4-2-5) for now and if that doesn't work, blow it up later. This was the same idea when we transitioned from Elko to Lea.

I hate to see us transition to another defensive concept right now when it appears that we finally figured it out. I guess this is just college football.

You know who runs a 4-2-5? David Reeves of UAB. I know I keep throwing his name out there. But he reminds me of Elko and Lea in regards to scheming and how much better they got defensively since he arrived there. Honestly, people check him out.

It would be best to stay in house and make Elston the DC. He knows the scheme and believes in it. Plus when VanGorder was shown the door, he was the one really running the defense and did well. He is a team player and longest standing position coach and deserves this promotion. He has also coached LBs in addition to DL so he could chose which position and then ND hires a new position coach.

If Elston took over as DC, I wonder if Kelly would contact Tyler Stockton (former ND DL) who's coaching at Ball State to take over as DL coach vacated by Elston. I believe Stockton won the Broyles award this year for best assistant coach. He's the DC at Ball State so I don't know if he would consider that a step back to DL coach.

If Elston took over as DC, I wonder if Kelly would contact Tyler Stockton (former ND DL) who's coaching at Ball State to take over as DL coach vacated by Elston. I believe Stockton won the Broyles award this year for best assistant coach. He's the DC at Ball State so I don't know if he would consider that a step back to DL coach.

Stockton is a finalist. The award hasn't been given out yet.

You know one of kellys biggest mistakes was hiring and sticking with

his buddy vangorder....and frankly that really cost kelly...his worst season..his worst defense,,,a loss of lots of the credibility he had been building.

On the other hand elko and lea were likely the best coaching moves kelly has made since he arrived and he was rewarded.

I think coach knows how critical this is...and im sure fully grasps what he did wrong and what he did right in past....

so im pretty comfortable with trusting kelly in this situation...to do whats best for him ,whats best for the defense, whats best for the team,,,

aloha

Stockton's name is being mentioned for DC openings such as Purdue. As a result, it is probably doubtful that he will take a step back to a position coach even if it is at a bigger school like ND.