Next DC coach?

coltssb

I figured it could use its own thread.

Cory threw out a few names Iowa’s DC Phil Parker and Cincinnati’s DC Marcus Freeman. Both would be good hires IMO.

I don’t think ND is going to break the bank with this hire. I also think Kelly will do his work in finding the right guy.

A couple of other guys to consider if they wanted to move.

David Reeves from UAB. The man looks tough and his defenses have been good.

He would be my choice. Probably cheaper than most.

Jim Leonard- Wisky. iwould actually leave? Probably not. Might have to pay him more.

At work but I’ll continue on. Feel free to add more..

I wouldn't promote from within unless there was a no brainer candidate which I don't think there is.

Why can't ND break the bank? The school should be able to make a splash hire! Can someone help me understand why there would be financial limitations?

Want to win a NC, then step up and pay the best possible candidate. You can't run with the big dogs like Ala, Clemson, Ohio St, etc and try to replace your DC with a cheap option.

I would be shocked if it is not Mike Elston. BK has gone out of his circle for some positions, but he does like continuity.

But please at least reach out to Freeman.

Yeah, I agree with you here, Mike Elston is at or near the top of the list. He knows the defense and he has done a great job as DL coach. Promoting Lea from LB coach to DC worked out pretty well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BK goes with Elston. And I would be fine with that.

Was thinking about this and it occurred to me that 3 of the last 5 DC's under Kelly became HC's after their DC role here and 4 immediately took huge pay raises. That's a pretty insane number and speaks to how appealing this role should be on the market (in addition to the talent on the roster). It also speaks to a common denominator in Kelly, a former DC himself, doing a pretty good job of identifying talent and playing a role in developing a stout defense.

In my own uninformed way, the Cincy DC looks pretty compelling. But, Kelly should definitely approach this with an attitude that he can draw nearly anyone that he wants.

The two things that struck me about the defense that Elko (and subsequently Lea) designed is they (a) always seem to have guys in the right position and (b) they are exceptional at finding those edges at any point in the game to disrupt the other team.

Given the position of strength we're in now, I'd vote for continuity and promote from within, keeping some of the talented coaches we have now in guys like Joseph, Mickens, etc.

If we were struggling as we did in 2016, that's when you shake it up and overhaul the staff IMO.

We have a really good defensive system and philosophy right now and we have specifically recruited players for that system for a long time.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

I'd rather get someone who runs the same or similar defense (4-2-5) for now and if that doesn't work, blow it up later. This was the same idea when we transitioned from Elko to Lea.

I hate to see us transition to another defensive concept right now when it appears that we finally figured it out. I guess this is just college football.

Yeah, I agree with you here, Mike Elston is at or near the top of the list. He knows the defense and he has done a great job as DL coach. Promoting Lea from LB coach to DC worked out pretty well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BK goes with Elston. And I would be fine with that.

In the past I would be against this, but now I am all for it. Continuity is huge and as others have said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

The last two hires from within have worked out great, and it seems ND has finally found an identity ala Wisconsin.