Lea going to named Vandy's next HC

ndmike88

That’s what I don’t get. There’s better jobs open, and Vandy is a joke. They clearly don’t care about football. It’s the only school in the country where football plays second fiddle to baseball.

I absolutely understand it. He wants to win and bring tradition to his alma mater. He wants to make a name for hisself. He clearly thinks he can win there or else he wouldn’t have taken it. He’s a coach and they have ego’s. I think they’ll have a good defense. The problem may be for him would be his offense.

I absolutely understand it. He wants to win and bring tradition to his alma mater. He wants to make a name for hisself. He clearly thinks he can win there or else he wouldn’t have taken it. He’s a coach and they have ego’s. I think they’ll have a good defense. The problem may be for him would be his offense.

Good time to go too. If we get trucked in the playoffs he is still golden, stock is high.

Barry Alvarez went to Wisconsin. Diaco to UCONN Martin to Miami(OH)

THIS STUFF HAPPENS. This ERA is coming to a close. Now its up to the team how the final chapter of the Book/Lea-Kelly ERA is closing. Next ERA might be just as good or we could get another BVG who knows.

ENJOY THIS ERA BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT THE NEXT 1...

Huge loss, go after Fickel defensive coordinator.

I guess it is a good thing to lose coordinators, instead of no one wanting them.

Yep, is the X’s and O’s Or Jimmy’s and Joe’s?

Hasn’t seemed to hurt Alabama much, losing their coordinators every 2-3 years the last handful of seasons.

I don't fault him and wish him well. While it is definitely a loss, this is what you want to have at your team - coaches making meteoric rises and getting HC jobs. Plus, Elko and Lea have left behind a situation that is LIGHT YEARS better than what they found. The cupboard is rich there and it will be far easier to attract the right talent.

Who will that talent be? My (completely unfounded) guess is that Kelly will pull in a name that is unexpected that comes from outside of the program. I don't see a clear apprentice on staff like we had in Lea. And, Kelly shows a pattern of spending a lot of time doing due diligence and picking coaches based on something other than name recognition.

Thanks Coach Lea and all the best!

Yep, is the X’s and O’s Or Jimmy’s and Joe’s?

Hasn’t seemed to hurt Alabama much, losing their coordinators every 2-3 years the last handful of seasons.

I will say Alabama was quite established before Smart left for Georgia. They might of won two championships before he left.

Offensive coordinator’s under him were quite different. Apple white the first year, then Mcllewin for 4 years followed by skiff in and so on.

But it’s always been about the defense.

I think ND can now sustain the momentum they have. They just can’t have another Van Gorder hire.

All the local sports writers and some national keep retweeting a comment about the next DC should be Elston?

I think we need to give him his shot. He has been outstanding and deserves an opportunity.

We can bring in a young hot shot to take over as a position coach to fill his spot.

Thoughts?

Does he need to get to 8-4?

I'm sure Vandy would be thrilled with consistent 6-6/7-5 seasons where they make a bowl game. That's the expectation there.

They play 3 cupcakes every year non-conference and one other Power 5 team. So they should be 3-1/4-0 every year non-conference with a decent team.

Then they have to win 2-3 more between Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Missouri. Get one upset or one easier game from the West in their crossover and boom, 6 wins, Bowl game and practically a statue at Vanderbilt.

Rinse and repeat for 4-5 years, then take a top 10 Power 5 job like Franklin did.

Can he do it? Who knows, but that is the formula for success there. Vanderbilt has never won 10 games. Being not terrible is good enough there and if he can do that, worst case is he coaches in his hometown for 20 years at $4,000,000 a year. There are worse career choices.

Franklin went 6-7, 9-4 9-4. So like you are saying 3 bowl games there gets you a shot like BK got,

Sorry to see him go. I would like to know what type of pay bump ND offered him. If ND stepped up and he still wants to leave, I am ok with it. I hope ND didn't low ball him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he left know matter what. Hard to say to being the man at your alma mater.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he left know matter what. Hard to say to being the man at your alma mater.

I agree. This was more of a career decision than a financial one. I still think there were better jobs like Arizona and Illinois that he could've taken. Vanderbilt is a joke and with the Sarah Fuller stunt, it's clear they don't take football seriously.

Was hoping he'd be smarter than this. Why would you want to coach Vandy in the SEC east with facilities certain schools in Texas would laugh at and strict academic restrictions. I can't imagine them even getting close to UF or UGA.

I guess the allure of the alma mater was paramount.

I think we'll be fine. As long as we keep recruiting and developing dudes on D we'll be fine. The scheme is only as good as the talent running it.

All the local sports writers and some national keep retweeting a comment about the next DC should be Elston?

I think we need to give him his shot. He has been outstanding and deserves an opportunity.

We can bring in a young hot shot to take over as a position coach to fill his spot.

Thoughts?

If Elston was DC material, would he not have been one already?

I agree. This was more of a career decision than a financial one. I still think there were better jobs like Arizona and Illinois that he could've taken. Vanderbilt is a joke and with the Sarah Fuller stunt, it's clear they don't take football seriously.

It's his hometown, his alma mater and he sees the challenge of making Vandy respectable in the SEC. This is a no-brainer for him for his first head coaching gig. I wish him all the best and thank him for building such a great defense for ND.

Scary question when zero-experience Tommy Rees is our O coordinator. Maybe we can go out and give Manti Teo his first D coordinator position. :-?

In this case, it would have to be someone who kept being thrown out as the starter even though he wasn’t starting material. My vote.... Joe Schmidt.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Vanderbilt coach Clark Lea has hired former <a href="

">@247Sports</a> director of scouting Barton Simmons on staff. His title will be general manager, which will effectively be a director of player personnel role. <a href="https://t.co/JPH4x9RNhy">https://t.co/JPH4x9RNhy</a> <a href="https://t.co/TPSKHKnU7Z">pic.twitter.com/TPSKHKnU7Z</a></p>— Robbie Weinstein (@rwweinstein) <a href="
">January 3, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>