Lea going to named Vandy's next HC

ndmike88

This is so incredibly stupid on his part... Good luck with your career.

Don't believe this is stupid. He went to a private high school, then Vandy. He coached at private Universities in Wake Forest and ND. Culture and Environment that fit him seem to be what he wants. Also there are many coaches that just enjoy coaching and not having the pressure of trying to win national titles. A winning season every year is satisfying at many universities. 8- 4 is celebrated at places like Vandy where other places they are calling for the coaches job. Look at Ferentz at Iowa. Solid program but not a national contender. Enjoy building relationships and the adventure that coaching is.

Don't believe this is stupid. He went to a private high school, then Vandy. He coached at private Universities in Wake Forest and ND. Culture and Environment that fit him seem to be what he wants. Also there are many coaches that just enjoy coaching and not having the pressure of trying to win national titles. A winning season every year is satisfying at many universities. 8- 4 is celebrated at places like Vandy where other places they are calling for the coaches job. Look at Ferentz at Iowa. Solid program but not a national contender. Enjoy building relationships and the adventure that coaching is.

Nowhere to go but up taking over an 0-10 team. If he finishes at .500, he will be a god there. Just ticked off at the woman AD who said she would only higher an "offensive minded coach." Guess Lea knocked her socks off in the interview!

This is so incredibly stupid on his part... Good luck with your career.

Lol. I don’t want him leaving but he probably just got way more $$$$ that sets him and his next couple of generations up for life.

Unless ND was offering him at least $3 million a year and “coach in waiting” status he has to go. ****...he flames out in 4 years he is only 42 years old; he’ll have $$$ and can do whatever he wants for the rest of his life.

Ugh...

Why leave something good to go to a graveyard like Vanderbilt?

Because very few coaches who are worth their salt lack the confidence to think they can do somewhere what few have done before.

Plus he's from there, so probably has family nearby and will probably get a 5-7 year deal in the $25,000,000 range.

BIG blow to ND and BK. He’s a good coach. I think he made a terrible mistake going there. I know it’s his alumni but it’s going to take years to be good. They may only give him 5. Then it’s off as a coordinator at Troy or some small school. Then again, if he does somewhat well like Campbell at Iowa St, ND may come sniffing around after BK retires.

Good Luck Lea and Thanks!

I played against him in high school... Coaching for Wake Forest and ND is way different than podunk Vandy who is bottom barrel of the SEC. I don't care if he's an alum or not. He's not prepared for this particular job at the moment. He's bitten off more than he can chew. Good luck getting to 8-4... He has way more potential than that assignment and should've have looked a little harder at his career. As an additional burden, he's going to have to deal with their insanely liberal administration. Good luck...this is silly...

And Vandy...they needed to hire someone in the mold of Hugh Freeze who has a gimmick offense that works well enough anywhere.

I played against him in high school... Coaching for Wake Forest and ND is way different than podunk Vandy who is bottom barrel of the SEC. I don't care if he's an alum or not. He's not prepared for this particular job at the moment. He's bitten off more than he can chew. Good luck getting to 8-4... He has way more potential than that assignment and should've have looked a little harder at his career. As an additional burden, he's going to have to deal with their insanely liberal administration. Good luck...this is silly...

And Vandy...they needed to hire someone in the mold of Hugh Freeze who has a gimmick offense that works well enough anywhere.

Does he need to get to 8-4?

I'm sure Vandy would be thrilled with consistent 6-6/7-5 seasons where they make a bowl game. That's the expectation there.

They play 3 cupcakes every year non-conference and one other Power 5 team. So they should be 3-1/4-0 every year non-conference with a decent team.

Then they have to win 2-3 more between Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Missouri. Get one upset or one easier game from the West in their crossover and boom, 6 wins, Bowl game and practically a statue at Vanderbilt.

Rinse and repeat for 4-5 years, then take a top 10 Power 5 job like Franklin did.

Can he do it? Who knows, but that is the formula for success there. Vanderbilt has never won 10 games. Being not terrible is good enough there and if he can do that, worst case is he coaches in his hometown for 20 years at $4,000,000 a year. There are worse career choices.

Edited by corysold

BIG if true...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Clark Lea informed Notre Dame’s defensive players on Monday he intends to coach at Notre Dame for the remainder of this season and "all I care about right now is the next three weeks.”</p>— Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="

">December 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That’s what I don’t get. There’s better jobs open, and Vandy is a joke. They clearly don’t care about football. It’s the only school in the country where football plays second fiddle to baseball.