Clark Lea is the best D coordinator that I can remember at ND. Swarbrick is going to have to step and pay him enough to stay.

I want Lea to be paid enough to allow him to stay till he gets a Michigan/USC level job opportunity as a HC. Don't want to see him leave for a low level HC football job.

I am even getting to the point that maybe Kelly should be telling him that he wants him to take over as HC when he retires.

Clark Lea is the best D coordinator that I can remember at ND. Swarbrick is going to have to step and pay him enough to stay.

I want Lea to be paid enough to allow him to stay till he gets a Michigan/USC level job opportunity as a HC. Don't want to see him leave for a low level HC football job.

I am even getting to the point that maybe Kelly should be telling him that he wants him to take over as HC when he retires.

Nope don’t want him as head coach but pay him d1 head coaching money to keep him as d coordinator.

You may be too young to know/remember but Barry Alvarez was Lou's D Coordinator when we won the NC in '88. Did a pretty good job and able to leverage it into the HC job at Wisconsin and the rest is history. That said, the game has changed so much, hard to compare the 2 however Lea is absolutely deserving of the recognition he's getting and a salary to match. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but believe the 2 highest paid CFB Coordinators are Elko and Venables both at ~$2.5MM. I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever of paying him the same if it keeps him at ND. Hopefully Lea's character is more along the lines of Venables as he's turned down a number of HC opportunities to remain at Clemson while Elko has chased the money for his last two hires, 1st ND, then Texas A&M. Don't fault him at all but obviously the Venables situation is best for us fans and Team. We'll certainly find out once the season concludes and vacancies become known. Some program is sure to take a run at him but he's got the luxury of being able to choose so going to be a few tense, rumor fueled weeks until he comes out publicly with his decision. Fingers crossed and GO IRISH!

You may be too young to know/remember but Barry Alvarez was Lou's D Coordinator when we won the NC in '88. Did a pretty good job and able to leverage it into the HC job at Wisconsin and the rest is history. That said, the game has changed so much, hard to compare the 2 however Lea is absolutely deserving of the recognition he's getting and a salary to match. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but believe the 2 highest paid CFB Coordinators are Elko and Venables both at ~$2.5MM. I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever of paying him the same if it keeps him at ND. Hopefully Lea's character is more along the lines of Venables as he's turned down a number of HC opportunities to remain at Clemson while Elko has chased the money for his last two hires, 1st ND, then Texas A&M. Don't fault him at all but obviously the Venables situation is best for us fans and Team. We'll certainly find out once the season concludes and vacancies become known. Some program is sure to take a run at him but he's got the luxury of being able to choose so going to be a few tense, rumor fueled weeks until he comes out publicly with his decision. Fingers crossed and GO IRISH!

I have no doubt his character is 180 degree turn from Elko, the money chaser,. And how is that working out for him at A&M? However, pretty sure Vanderbilt will can Mason and that is where his roots are. Would be hard for him to turn them down and the program is shambles so he could raise it up and then be ready to come back to ND

I have no doubt his character is 180 degree turn from Elko, the money chaser,. And how is that working out for him at A&M? However, pretty sure Vanderbilt will can Mason and that is where his roots are. Would be hard for him to turn them down and the program is shambles so he could raise it up and then be ready to come back to ND

If we were to lose him to Vandy, you offer up an interesting scenario. Didn't know of his connection to the program and while Mason is a good guy, can't imagine he'll be the coach beyond this season. Hypothetically, if he can get Vandy back to Franklin's tenure, he'd be a great fit to take over ND following BK's retirement. GO IRISH!

I certainly would be furious if ND lost him to another school as a D coordinator. I also hope he can be paid enough to not accept a HC job at a MAC school or low level program like Purdue, Oregon St, Texas Tech, etc. Just random examples.

Hoping that a combo of a great pay increase and potentially being in position to take the program over from Kelly after retirement might be enough to keep him.

I normally prefer OCs as HC candidates but I think Lea is that good. A great D and a strong running game are a recipe for sustained success and it doesn't take a genius OC to set up a system like that as a worst case scenario. A combo of Lea and assuming he works out, Rees as a HC/Asst HC situation seems like a good scenario.

It was pretty impressive to watch the defense get handled in the first quarter, then adjust and hold a pretty potent carolina offense to 3 points for the last 3 quarters....

ND hasnt been a team that adjusts during games well in the kelly era,,,in this century...but Lea seems to defy that....would be willing to do wahtever is necessary to keep him on

aloha

I certainly would be furious if ND lost him to another school as a D coordinator. I also hope he can be paid enough to not accept a HC job at a MAC school or low level program like Purdue, Oregon St, Texas Tech, etc. Just random examples.

Hoping that a combo of a great pay increase and potentially being in position to take the program over from Kelly after retirement might be enough to keep him.

I normally prefer OCs as HC candidates but I think Lea is that good. A great D and a strong running game are a recipe for sustained success and it doesn't take a genius OC to set up a system like that as a worst case scenario. A combo of Lea and assuming he works out, Rees as a HC/Asst HC situation seems like a good scenario.

They won’t be losing him for a DC job. Unfortunately, no matter how much $ you can reasonably offer, none of that is a substitute for a HC opportunity. ND can always offer him the “HC in waiting” title, but I don’t know if he’ll want to wait another 5-10 yrs for Kelly to retire.

If we were to lose him to Vandy, you offer up an interesting scenario. Didn't know of his connection to the program and while Mason is a good guy, can't imagine he'll be the coach beyond this season. Hypothetically, if he can get Vandy back to Franklin's tenure, he'd be a great fit to take over ND following BK's retirement. GO IRISH!

I’ve thought about that, but Vandy is such a pit of despair, I can’t see him wanting to leave ND for that. They’re worse than they’ve ever been and that’s saying something.

It’s possible he take a job like Iowa St or Cincinnati if the current HCs leave. That would make sense. He’s not getting offered Michigan, Southern Cal or Texas. Those fans want a marquee name. It’s stupid, but you’ve got to make the fans happy after this cluster f**k

I’ve thought about that, but Vandy is such a pit of despair, I can’t see him wanting to leave ND for that. They’re worse than they’ve ever been and that’s saying something.

It’s possible he take a job like Iowa St or Cincinnati if the current HCs leave. That would make sense. He’s not getting offered Michigan, Southern Cal or Texas. Those fans want a marquee name. It’s stupid, but you’ve got to make the fans happy after this cluster f**k

Well at least in MI, Matt Campbell's name seems to be the Fan Favorite but not sure if he's gonna stay in college or move the NFL. With Patricia's firing yesterday, it's already being floated Harbaugh to the Lions and Campbell replacing him. Apparently the "need" to have a MI Man at the helm of the program is no longer as important as it was before. In my opinion, it's a fanbase pipedream but who knows...While Lea is deserving of a shot, call it a gut feel, I don't see him leaving but nothing definitive to back it up. Give him and Tommy both a bump in pay and keep them motivated to have Kelly as the CEO while each runs their units with a degree of autonomy. Who knows but GO IRISH!

Vandy job just opened up, hope we can hold onto Lea through that hire. I wouldn't be surprised if he heads that direction, only time will tell.

I think he will take the job if he gets the chance. It’d be really hard for him to turn down that offer, being a Vanderbilt alum and Nashville native. I just hope he would stay at ND through the CFP.

Coach lea appears to be a good tactician. His stature is rising every season...he will have better choices . Going to Vandy a place where coaching momentum goes to die..really would be a poor tactical choice..i dont see that.

Sure he can be lured away by a better job...but this is the job where he is getting robust national recognition ..vandy would be the end of that...he will wait for something much better i expect.

aloha

Why would you take a job that would kill your career like Vandy...they’re so bad they had to rely on a gimmick to stay relevant.

I don’t care if it’s sexist, that was a joke. If I played for Vanderbilt, I’d have walked out at halftime during her “pep talk.” Mason was rightfully fired and should never coach again bc of that stunt.

Unless Vandy is willing to give him a 10 year guaranteed contract, with no chance of being fired. I wouldn’t except it. That’s the only way you’re going to win there. Playing in the SEC, Vandy isn’t known as a football school, the talent there now is putrid, the recruiting is hard there, Tennessee is an ok recruiting state but it’s not Alabama, Ohio etc. Vandy would have to literally be torn down and slowly be built up. That won’t happen unless you know you’ll be there 10 years and is paid well.

Vanderbilt AD Candice Lee said she's looking for a head coach that's "offensive minded" -- either offensive background or someone prominent on staff for offense.

Seems that this would take Coach Lea out of the picture for his almamater's head coaching job. Think she is making a bad move but I am very happy with her direction!

Vanderbilt AD Candice Lee said she's looking for a head coach that's "offensive minded" -- either offensive background or someone prominent on staff for offense.

Seems that this would take Coach Lea out of the picture for his almamater's head coaching job. Think she is making a bad move but I am very happy with her direction!

If you want someone who's offensive, hire Bobby Knight...

Charlie Weis is offense minded :)

Charlie Weis is offense minded :)

He might be getting a little to old. But I wouldn’t mind seeing him get another shot somewhere. If he wanted it. I know he was paid handsomely by ND. I bet they wished they would of just paid for his tuition instead of his salary. Ha