If Notre Dame wins 11 games and Ohio State wins 7...

And ND loses the ACC title game...

Then what? Playing and winning ~40% more games should count for something.

Maryland would have been one of the best Big10 teams Ohio State plays this year. The conference is a mess.

This is getting shambolic.

EDIT: Title should read “ND wins 11 games...”*

EDIT: I got you. ~Speedy

Edited by SpeedsterX

Maryland would have been one of the best Big10 teams Ohio State plays this year. The conference is a mess.

I mean, that's the general argument against ND every other year of "Shouldn't playing the conference championship game, and 13 total, count more?"

If we beat Clemson again, it won't matter. If we don't, then it's up to the committee to decide if 2 ACC teams get into the playoffs. I think Bama and OSU (assuming they win out) are 100% getting in. At this point, there is a good chance that the playoffs would let both us and Clemson in even if they beat us in the acc title game. TBH, I think our chances of beating OSU are better than beating Clemson again in December....

If we beat Clemson again, it won't matter. If we don't, then it's up to the committee to decide if 2 ACC teams get into the playoffs. I think Bama and OSU (assuming they win out) are 100% getting in. At this point, there is a good chance that the playoffs would let both us and Clemson in even if they beat us in the acc title game. TBH, I think our chances of beating OSU are better than beating Clemson again in December....

I think this is pretty much spot on. The only downside I can see is maybe the committee downplays our victory against Clemson and selects another SEC team.

if we win out and lose the ACC title game...assuming we dont lose 52 3 or some such...our odds of getting in would still be very high...75 percent IMO....still a big challenge to win out though,,, we left lots of emotion on the field...have to be careful not to fade afterwards...

aloha

I don't think Notre Dame will get into the playoffs if they lose to Clemson in the ACC title game were they both to get there. There were too many excuses for the first victory. Plus the potential for a 3rd Clemson/ND in the same season? I don't know how many people would want to push for that.

If OSU runs the table... albeit a very short table.... they get in. They're the darlings of the Big 10.

If there is any way to get 2 SEC teams in, that's going to happen. ESPN loves to push the SEC. That's a fact.

That’s the second post you’ve mentioned of ND beating tOsu. Why do you say that? What have seen this year that makes you feel so confident than previous years?

I think the only way Ohio St gets left out is if somehow the Big 10 title game is cancelled.

At that point they'd be 7-0 with only 1 win over a ranked team, assuming Indiana stays ranked.

But the other question would be, who else gets in?

Pac-12 would be in a similar situation. Big 12 is out. A second SEC team? BYU? I can't imagine they'd want 2 ACC and 2 SEC teams making up the playoff.

I think the only way Ohio St gets left out is if somehow the Big 10 title game is cancelled.

At that point they'd be 7-0 with only 1 win over a ranked team, assuming Indiana stays ranked.

But the other question would be, who else gets in?

Pac-12 would be in a similar situation. Big 12 is out. A second SEC team? BYU? I can't imagine they'd want 2 ACC and 2 SEC teams making up the playoff.

Hey, when you’re late to the party you get left out.

That’s the second post you’ve mentioned of ND beating tOsu. Why do you say that? What have seen this year that makes you feel so confident than previous years?

1) This is the best team BK has fielded, hands down.

2) Our previous struggles with OSU have had more to do with defense, which is now our strong suit.

3) They've played nobody and their defense has still given up an average of 23 points.

4) I think they stand to lose against Indiana this weekend.

5) their present ranking has more to do with pedigree/recent historical performance as opposed to talent

Yeah, consider me unimpressed with this Ohio State team.

OSU owns the B1G. They own every team there. The B1G is even worse than usual this year, too.

I think this OSU team is much weaker than last year’s team, too. Significant downgrade at runningback, significant downgrade at WR, significant downgrade at DB and D-line.

JK Dobbins, Chase Young, KJ Hill, Bin Victor, Austin Mack, Jeff Okudah, Damon Arnette - all gone. That’s a lot of leadership and skill out the door and I haven’t heard the same buzz around the guys replacing them.

1) This is the best team BK has fielded, hands down.

5) their present ranking has more to do with pedigree/recent historical performance as opposed to talent

Totally agree with this. I feel better with this team playing OSU than at any other point in the last 20 years.

ESPN wants what will bring the ratings. Alabama will be in when they beat Florida. OSU is in because of historic performance. That leaves two spots. BYU is not a sexy pick. Clemson will likely win the rematch so they get in. Who's the other ratings generator? The sexy choice is ND.

Alabama vs. ND and OSU vs. Clemson. The percentage of viewership would be almost as high as Elvis appearing on Ed Sullivan.

I know LSU is a shadow of their team last season but it would be great if they knocked off Alabama in their makeup game. Hard to leave out ND with 1 loss in the ACCCG(if that happens. Clearly we're in if we win) to a #3 or #4 ranked Clemson(at the time depending on what happens with tOSU) while Alabama has one loss to an unranked LSU. Can't put in Florida if they lose the SECCG to Alabama. I think the Irish's biggest problem would be if Indiana and tOSU swap wins in their regular season game and then the B1GCG.

Edit - never mind that last comment, they wouldn't play each other in the B1GCG.