Clemson opens as a 6.5 point favorite

I really hope our guys use this as motivation. To be nearly a 7 pt dog at home to a backup true frosh qb should light a fire in these guys. Look I know Clemson is bigtime, but I have been impressed with us also this year. Especially the defense and oline. Would be surprised if we don't at least make it a game. I also think no one is talking about a true frosh making his first road start into a crazy environment with all the variables (potential game of year, primetime, great defense.) Let's do this.

Go Irish!

I wouldn't be surprised if ND lost by 18 or won by 3.

It depends on Tom Rees and BK, in my opinion. I think Lea will have the defense ready. IMO ND needs to sustain drives and keep Clemson's offense off the field as much as possible. At the very least, don't give them short fields to work with and don't turn the ball over. If Rees and Kelly come up with a great game plan, and the players actually execute that plan, ND might have a shot.

I wouldn't be surprised if ND lost by 18 or won by 3.

It depends on Tom Rees and BK, in my opinion. I think Lea will have the defense ready. IMO ND needs to sustain drives and keep Clemson's offense off the field as much as possible. At the very least, don't give them short fields to work with and don't turn the ball over. If Rees and Kelly come up with a great game plan, and the players actually execute that plan, ND might have a shot.

I’m in the same boat. Clemson still has a completely LOADED roster even w/o Lawrence. Don’t get me wrong, Lawrence being out is HUGE, but this is still by far the best team on ND’s schedule.

I have faith in the players. I have faith in the DC. I have absolutely no faith in BK winning a game of this magnitude or even keeping it close. I hope I am wrong but BK has done nothing in his time here to prove he can compete on this stage. Again I am hoping I am wrong and he can pull it off but I am not counting on it or betting on it. I’d say Clemson by 17.

I’m in the same boat. Clemson still has a completely LOADED roster even w/o Lawrence. Don’t get me wrong, Lawrence being out is HUGE, but this is still by far the best team on ND’s schedule.

But ND is the #4 team, has their starting QB, and is at home. Clemson may also have up to three other starters on defense out due to injury.

Shouldn't Kelly have the advantage? Especially given his outstanding record in games vs. Top 10 teams? Between Kelly's masterful offensive schemes designed to thwart talented defenses and his unparalleled game-time motivation, is there any other coach that we, as fans, would even want leading the Irish this week?

Edited by jbrown_9999
But ND is the #4 team, has their starting QB, and is at home. Clemson may also have up to three other starters on defense out due to injury.

Shouldn't Kelly have the advantage? Especially given his outstanding record in games vs. Top 10 teams? Between Kelly's masterful offensive schemes designed to thwart talented defenses and his unparalleled game-time motivation, is there any other coach that we, as fans, would even want leading the Irish this week?

Are you going to do this all week? It's unbearable.

If players make any difference, here's some 5 star information.

Clemson has 13 five star players on their active roster; players recruited in the 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 recruiting cycles.

If you combined every Notre Dame recruiting class since 2006, you would finally get to that number of 5 star players.

So, put it all on Kelly if you must, but you've got to get the recruits. Could Saban get that number of 5 stars at ND in 4 years? Maybe.

ND has cold weather, academic standards, a Catholic culture, and a dumpy town. Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oregon, LSU, and Florida each may have one of those factors, but not all 4, working against getting recruits to commit.

Can someone give Nick a call and see if he'd be interested?

Here a fun fact my friend told me.

Clemson is #1 and ND is #4 , just like in ‘88 with Miami. Clemson has won 36 straight regular season games, just like Miami had in ‘88.

There ya have it. Guaranteed victory.

Miami also committed 7 turnovers in ‘88. But that’s beside the point.

Here a fun fact my friend told me.

Clemson is #1 and ND is #4 , just like in ‘88 with Miami. Clemson has won 36 straight regular season games, just like Miami had in ‘88.

There ya have it. Guaranteed victory.

Miami also committed 7 turnovers in ‘88. But that’s beside the point.

ND also had a coach who was a proven winner. Big difference from what ND has today.

ND also had a coach who was a proven winner. Big difference from what ND has today.

In those days ND got recruits like Alabama and Georgia and Ohio State do today. The coaching staff probably played a roll in that. The administration probably played a roll in that too.

The times have certainly changed.

I watched the Clemson game last week as did some of you. And i know there are lots of PHIL J fans here but frankly as a team BC is VERY average.

Clemson simply did not look as good as they have looked over the last couple of seasons....and yes Trever Lawrence is the best player and soon to be number one pick,,,,but i understand he is not playing eh. So i get it the backup had nice stats last week and is highly regarded but still....trever lawrence is the best player in the countryand will not be playing...thats tough to fully replace!

I posted on one of the clemson threads two weeks ago that we likely did not have much of a chance unless trever lawrence got covid and was out.....now i was actually being more sarcastic then prophetic....but i was aware that covid does sideline players....so it happened

In the spirit of what has been for most of us a very strange year....i think we have a serious shot at an upset here....law of averages says we have to win a big game now and then and this one just sets up well for an ND UPSET!

We are at home

We have the longest winning streak in the country

The number one player in the country is sitting for clemson

Clemson has not had much really stiff competition so far this season

Clemson is coming off a very average performance

We do bring a very good defense into the game.

Ian needs his best game and maybe a couple of breaks could help us but I REALLY LIKE OUR CHANCES!

ND 28 Clemson 24

aloha

I watched the Clemson game last week as did some of you. And i know there are lots of PHIL J fans here but frankly as a team BC is VERY average.

Clemson simply did not look as good as they have looked over the last couple of seasons....and yes Trever Lawrence is the best player and soon to be number one pick,,,,but i understand he is not playing eh. So i get it the backup had nice stats last week and is highly regarded but still....trever lawrence is the best player in the countryand will not be playing...thats tough to fully replace!

I posted on one of the clemson threads two weeks ago that we likely did not have much of a chance unless trever lawrence got covid and was out.....now i was actually being more sarcastic then prophetic....but i was aware that covid does sideline players....so it happened

In the spirit of what has been for most of us a very strange year....i think we have a serious shot at an upset here....law of averages says we have to win a big game now and then and this one just sets up well for an ND UPSET!

We are at home

We have the longest winning streak in the country

The number one player in the country is sitting for clemson

Clemson has not had much really stiff competition so far this season

Clemson is coming off a very average performance

We do bring a very good defense into the game.

Ian needs his best game and maybe a couple of breaks could help us but I REALLY LIKE OUR CHANCES!

ND 28 Clemson 24

aloha

I like it!

I'm thinking ND 24, Clemson 23

I have faith in the players. I have faith in the DC. I have absolutely no faith in BK winning a game of this magnitude or even keeping it close. I hope I am wrong but BK has done nothing in his time here to prove he can compete on this stage. Again I am hoping I am wrong and he can pull it off but I am not counting on it or betting on it. I’d say Clemson by 17.

I’m with you on this. I think it will be Clem by 11-13 pts or so.

Clemson wins this game because their DL will control the LOS against NDs OL. imo NDs OL has not lived up to the hype this year.

Just like every other year in big games. It’s too bad when our supposed strongest unit gets dominated in every meaningful game.

I understand why Clemson is favoured, but this program needs this win so badly. Clemson has 3 of its best players out and having them come to South Bend is the perfect recipe for us. If Kelly lays an egg, which will surprise no one here, we can safely assume we will never get that “big win.”

Bama and OSU would take the 1 and 2 spots.

Bama would be #1 for sure. But it wouldn't shock me for ND to come in #2 just ahead of Ohio St. ND is still getting quite a few votes at #5 and 6. A win and those would all but assuredly move into #3 at worst.

They'd need a few voters to jump them over Ohio St, but I think a win vs. Clemson might be enough.

They'll likely be 3, but I don't think 2 is out of the question.

Bama would be #1 for sure. But it wouldn't shock me for ND to come in #2 just ahead of Ohio St. ND is still getting quite a few votes at #5 and 6. A win and those would all but assuredly move into #3 at worst.

They'd need a few voters to jump them over Ohio St, but I think a win vs. Clemson might be enough.

They'll likely be 3, but I don't think 2 is out of the question.

I'd say it would depend on the circumstances of the win---but I don't think anyone could envision a scenario where we beat Clemson convincingly. It would be an upset by a small margin at best. They'd also take into consideration the fact that TL didn't play. And OSU has Rutgers at home and will likely trounce them. I still say we'd be no better than #3.

Clemson wins this game because their DL will control the LOS against NDs OL. imo NDs OL has not lived up to the hype this year.

After watching Clemson play a couple of times this year I do not think their DL is as good as past years. I will be very disappointed if the Irish OL doesn’t hold their own against them.

Our QB and receivers are not good enough to win this. But could likely cover getting a TD.

This seems to be a yearly complaint. This was happening when Claypool and Boykin were here too. But they seem to be doing fine In the NFL now. I think it comes down to Book either missing reads,not be able to see when guys are getting open, or simply the play-calling needs to be better to get these guys in space. McKinley has a little running back in him(shiftiness) when he’s able to get space. Wilkins seems to get open a lot. I know Davis has the ability to be explosive when given the chance. I’m not sure about Skowanek yet. But I don’t believe it simply our wideouts never get open.