2022 Recruiting Prospects

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In case you all missed this during the transition. I think ND has a HUGE June and July. Quality and quantity.    Side note, I cleaned the entire thread so all tweets are correct except where

FWIW, today in interviews Kurt Hinish was asked about his brother being recruited by ND. He said Donovan is 1-2 inches taller, ~275# right now, and a better athlete than himself. Said Donovan moves be

Posted Images

Also

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here come the Irish. ☘️<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IRISHRISING22?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#IRISHRISING22</a><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/POTOFGOLD?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#POTOFGOLD</a> <a href="https://t.co/HIOnsuEBbR">pic.twitter.com/HIOnsuEBbR</a></p>— Mike Elston (@CoachMikeElston) <a href="

">March 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm guessing this relates to Burnham??

Burnham is a great pick up! Looks like ND is going to have a good LB group for the next 3 to 4 years.

The top recruiters seem to be Elston and Freeman so I am not worried about recruiting on the D side.

I don't think the recruiting is nearly as good on the offensive side. Not terrible but not as good. I had hoped that Rees and Taylor being young and energetic would lead to more recruiting success but so far, I think improvement is needed.

As others have said, love the Burnham commitment. That kid looks every part a baller.

Building on that, gotta love how Freeman has come out of the gates. It's the honeymoon period, so I'll certainly be withholding judgment until we actually get a number of games under our belt but couldn't be much happier with the initial returns. Hats off to the team.

Burnham is a great pick up! Looks like ND is going to have a good LB group for the next 3 to 4 years.

The top recruiters seem to be Elston and Freeman so I am not worried about recruiting on the D side.

I don't think the recruiting is nearly as good on the offensive side. Not terrible but not as good. I had hoped that Rees and Taylor being young and energetic would lead to more recruiting success but so far, I think improvement is needed.

Seems as if Freeman was not satisfied with the ND status quo for recruiting and even brought in his own recruiting assistant. Too bad that it seems that Rees and Taylor have merely followed the recruiting approach which already existed.

The defensive class will be elite or close to it. ND already has Ford and Gobaira on the DL, along with Burnham and Ziegler at LB. ND is the favorite to land D.J. Westolak (WDE), Sebastian Cheeks (LB), and Niuafe Tuihalamaka (LB). ND is also in good shape for Ernest Cooper and Anthony Lucas along the DL, and Devon Jackson and Jaylen Sneed at LB. Even Cyrus Moss is a legitimate possibility. ND could very well be forced to turn away a really good prospect or two at DL and/or LB because of numbers.

Secondary recruiting is interesting because it's hard to know if ND truly leads for any elite players. I think Nwankpa is a pipe dream (heavy OSU lean), but ND seems to be in good shape for Sherrod Covil, which would be a good pickup at safety. ND also seems to be in good shape for some very good to elite level CBs like Khamuri Rodgers, Jyaire Brown, and Jaeden Gould, among others. ND could very well end up with a Top 5 defensive class this cycle if they land some combination of the above.

I think it's too soon to say on offense. ND didn't land a difference maker at QB IMO. At RB, if ND lands either Nicholas Singleton or Dallan Hayden to go with Jadarian Price, they will have a really good/elite RB class. It looks like TE Holden Staes will be committing soon (based on recent crystal balls and other intel). He's a really good prospect with offers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, etc. OL will always recruit well. ND already has Tanona and Chan. ND leads for Billy Schrauth (he could be the next commit). ND is in the top group for Aamil Wagner and Jake Taylor (although not sure ND leads for either).

Wide Receiver is where it gets interesting, and it will likely make or break this class in terms of ceiling - whether this a Top 10 class or can ND finally push through and finish Top 5-ish. Amorion Walker is a fine pickup if he is the 3rd or 4th receiver in the class, but ND needs to land at least one, if not two, legitimate Top 100 players.

C.J. Williams (Top 50) is a real possibility - he loves ND and always mentions them in interviews. But he goes to Mater Dei in California, so it will be a tough pull (not sure who the last scholarship player ND got from there - Joe Schmidt doesn't count). Right now, Kaleb Brown seems like a pipe dream and Tyler Morris seems to be leaning Michigan. ND is still recruiting PSU commit Kaden Saunders, but he is a huge recruiter for PSU, so it's hard to see that working out. Tobias Merriweather is ranked #104 overall and nobody is talking about him - ND seems to be battling Stanford there, so he's probably the most realistic option of the ones mentioned. ND is after some other highly rated guys and a few 3-stars who seem to be better than their ranking, but ND needs legitimate Top 100 talent at WR this cycle. It's still early, but they'll likely need to pull off an upset to land one or two.

Seems as if Freeman was not satisfied with the ND status quo for recruiting and even brought in his own recruiting assistant. Too bad that it seems that Rees and Taylor have merely followed the recruiting approach which already existed.

If you’re talking about Leysinski, he was already on staff.

Question for you big. Or anyone with knowledge for that matter. Do kids still have to take the SAT/ACT right now because of Covid? Is the enrollment at ND a little easier this year? Is that why we have more available too talent looking at ND? Or is it simply scouting, finding the talent early and the Freeman affect?

This was discussed in the OR yesterday about how some schools weren’t requiring the SAT/ACT part.

Question for you big. Or anyone with knowledge for that matter. Do kids still have to take the SAT/ACT right now because of Covid? Is the enrollment at ND a little easier this year? Is that why we have more available too talent looking at ND? Or is it simply scouting, finding the talent early and the Freeman affect?

This was discussed in the OR yesterday about how some schools weren’t requiring the SAT/ACT part.

Good point. Someone else can more fully answer your questions but according to the ND site standardized test scores are not required this year.

https://admissions.nd.edu/visit-engage/stories-news/notre-dame-will-be-test-optional-for-the-2020-2021-application-year/

Posted (edited)

I would say the latter. They still need to vet the players to make sure they can handle both academics and football at ND. No point in changing that because it is working. Shooting higher and more effort on higher rated kids has been lacking some. Even Elston said so.

Side note, official visits are starting to be scheduled!

Edited by Big23Head
Right now I think this will come down to OSU and ND

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">Top 6... <a href="https://t.co/n23Du1DzK9">pic.twitter.com/n23Du1DzK9</a></p>— Aamil Wagner (@AamilWagner) <a href="

">March 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Same High School as Freeman & Mickens.

• Mike featured and unfeatured this topic