2022 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

2 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Also now that he is HC, he is limited on his in home visits. 

Based on what Big posted, perhaps we can get Xavier back on campus this weekend, expenses paid by ND, just to meet with Freeman.  Too bad Freeman can't be in that in-home today.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Big23Head said:

We may see the current 2022 class visit ND again given the following NCAA rule:

13.6.2.3.1 Exception -- Additional Visit After Departure of Head Coach. After a new head coach is hired, an institution may finance one additional visit for a prospective student-athlete who previously received an official visit to the institution. Visits provided pursuant to this exception shall also be excluded from the limitations on the number of official visits set forth in Bylaws 13.6.2.2, 13.6.2.3.2, 13.6.2.3.3, 13.6.2.3.4, 13.6.2.3.5 and 13.6.2.3.7. [D] (Adopted: 4/25/18, Revised: 5/11/18)

Rules are rules.

A3DD4B96-2194-499D-8BDF-8E8D392D2B3D.gif

53 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

If Freeman already had an in-home, then he might not get another.

He hasn't had an in home with Xavier. This was Xavier expressing renewed interest. If they get a good feel I'd expect them to target getting him back on campus and/or Freeman going in home very early next week.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I would agree in that I think he still ends up at Iowa. But this is a positive sign because he had not been communicating with ND at all in the past few weeks (because he effectively eliminated ND and told them that). But, he apparently reached out to the staff after Freeman was hired and scheduled the in-home visit for today. It sounds like he was concerned that Freeman would not be there long term, but now that he is HC, Nwankpa knows that Freeman is at ND for the foreseeable future. He is supposed to commit next week, so this is actually a really positive step. Again, he probably ends up at Iowa, but at least ND is back in it.

Hopefully they can get him to wait till Feb to sign 

32 minutes ago, Jersey Irish said:

ISD reporting the ND has an in-home visit with Xavier in Iowa tomorrow. Have to feel it is Freeman himself Bet Kelly would not have done it

Freeman is not going in home with Xavier, its the other coaches, but Freeman is the reason his interest increased.

• Heart 1

Most who followed ND recruiting knew BK was not a big recruiter but had the ability to connect with players and close when he put in the effort. This video is really interesting and has some pretty strong comments. I’m intrigued just how much better ND recruiting can get. If accurate then it certainly sounds like there is a serious jump that can be made which would be very positive. 

Edited by Big23Head
  • Leprechaun 1

The one knock on Freeman recruiting for awhile now was that he was going to leave (I think we even thought that!).  Now that he's head coach, I think all of these top recruits that eliminated us are probably getting some contact.  This is probably whats going on with Nwankpa, and we seem to be making a strong push.  Will be an interesting few months here.....

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Big23Head said:

As of now the toss ups are Devin Moore, CJ Williams, Tobias Merriweather, and Amorion Walker. Need to get the WR stuff settled down and straightened out. 

The early signing period is Dec. 15-17

our WR room would a disaster if they all 3 left... need to keep 2 and find 2 more 

9 hours ago, Big23Head said:

Most who followed ND recruiting knew BK was not a big recruiter but had the ability to connect with players and close when he put in the effort. This video is really interesting and has some pretty strong comments. I’m intrigued just how much better ND recruiting can get. If accurate then it certainly sounds like there is a serious jump that can be made which would be very positive. 

Live look, me and Goolsby on the need to get an assistant coach that has some gray hair (i.e., grizzled, experienced presence that's not trying to be The Guy but to support The Guy)

Vibing Jojo Fletcher GIF by CNBC Prime

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

From the Jaden Mickey interview, it sounds as if ND will take advantage of the rule allowing another official visit if a school has a new head coach

"I’ll be taking another official visit up there next week along with the rest of the commits"

Correct, it is expected for next weekend (10th)

• Heart 1

Some overall updates and what to expect over the next two weeks. Right now, I would not consider CJ Williams or Amorion Walker commits. I believe everyone else is solid OR can be taken care of with visits from coaches. Rees, Elston, Bowden, Taylor, Mickens, and O'Leary are flying all around the country this week. Freeman will likely hit the road Monday after the official press conference. The primary goal to is to secure the current class and get Devin Moore back. After that see what happens with Billy Schrauth and Xavier Nwankpa. Then likely roll into post early signing day looking for potential new options. Keep a look out for a second OV for the 2022 guys next weekend. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, soulpatch said:

Two questions. Do you think either of them are salvageable? And, any word on other options the staff is considering pursuing?

I think CJ is but it may depend on how hard USC goes after him at this point. Lincoln Riley never offered him at OU and plenty of WR will follow Riley. Freeman may close this deal by simply talking to the kid in person. Walker is interesting. He is either trolling ND pretty hard right now or super solid. It is literally one or the other. He seems to tell ND and Michigan the exact same thing but remains committed to ND. 

There were some "new" options but I don't know how this week has altered that. I'm not sure ND 100% knows how that has changed things either. If those options sign early then tough luck and see who is around afterwards or hit the portal because there will be portal guys this year. The hard part is ND needs grad transfers not "regular" ones unless its a school like Stanford. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

It will also be really interesting to see which commits and targets visit next weekend.  Mickey made a comment like "all of them" would come back for another visit, so we'll see if CJ or Amorion are part of that group.  Free trip unless any of them still have legit conflicts like basketball games, etc.

Positive news if Xavier reached back out, but I think the key is whether he's been in touch with ND players or commits while he wasn't in touch with the ND staff.  It seems he is really big on being tight with his future teammates.

Also, curious what the staff is pitching to guys like Schrauth and our OL commits with no OL coach in the fold.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, D Fence said:

It will also be really interesting to see which commits and targets visit next weekend.  Mickey made a comment like "all of them" would come back for another visit, so we'll see if CJ or Amorion are part of that group.  Free trip unless any of them still have legit conflicts like basketball games, etc.

Positive news if Xavier reached back out, but I think the key is whether he's been in touch with ND players or commits while he wasn't in touch with the ND staff.  It seems he is really big on being tight with his future teammates.

Also, curious what the staff is pitching to guys like Schrauth and our OL commits with no OL coach in the fold.

We should hear about the recruiting visit soon. I think CJ has a football game conflict unfortunately. Walker would be telling.

I think the OL is locked up mostly because of Rees. Schrauth is definitely a Rees guy. The only question I would have personally would be Wagner because Quinn did a great job. However, I fully believe he chose ND for ND.