2022 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

Let’s not be naive, the HC is a big reason why kids choose a school. 

It’s not naive as you would like to think.

School A- has hot girls, great weather all year round, decent academics, a blue blood, and known to get you to the pros no matter who the coach is. 

School B- also a blue blood, has good academics, crappy weather, ok girls, good coach that you like, can also get you in the NFL but you’ll have to work at it both in the classroom and off. 

School A you really like the coach but the school is eh for you. 

School B you have no idea who the coach is but you love the school and could see yourself living there after football. 

Who ya got?  

47 minutes ago, coltssb said:

School A- has hot girls, great weather all year round, decent academics, a blue blood, and known to get you to the pros no matter who the coach is. 

School B- also a blue blood, has good academics, crappy weather, ok girls, good coach that you like, can also get you in the NFL but you’ll have to work at it both in the classroom and off. 

School B you have no idea who the coach is but you love the school and could see yourself living there after football. 

Who ya got?  

But thats the thing, it isnt binary. HC can put you over the top or be a big factor. These are business decisions for the top level recruits. 

13 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

But thats the thing, it isnt binary. HC can put you over the top or be a big factor. These are business decisions for the top level recruits. 

Yes top level recruits. Which are what, 5 percent?  Most kids that go to college are choosing other factors on why they are picking that school. Yes, a coach is one of them. But, others are, will I play right away? Where’s the school located? How is the academics?  What’s the weather? Where would I be on the depth chart?  Do I like the campus?  The energy and feel of it?  Are their girls?  Etc. There’s very few schools where kids are going there just for that coach. Saban-yes, Sweeney- yes, Day-maybe, the top echelon coaches. Are kids flocking to Gary Patterson and TCU because they like him as a coach?  No. That’s why he lost and lost his job. Again, it’s a select few choosing a “top echelon” coach to go to. And of those select few are probably the top 150 on recruiting sites. Not a high percentages. 
So, no it’s naive to think kids are only choosing universities because of the coach. Those that say that have never been recruited before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

Who ya got?  

School C - Blue blood, great coach, will be competing for a playoff spot, has a great track record on NFL draft picks, don't need to focus on academics. 

3 minutes ago, drakan said:

School C - Blue blood, great coach, will be competing for a playoff spot, has a great track record on NFL draft picks, don't need to focus on academics. 

Take your pick. The point stands. It’s not only about choosing a school for a coach.  But other factors.  I agree with Sympatico that they are binary in a sense. But to choose a school based on its coach is just dumb. Unless it’s Saban or Sweeney. You’re buying the used car salesman pitch if you are. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Take your pick. The point stands. It’s not only about choosing a school for a coach.  But other factors.  I agree with Sympatico that they are binary in a sense. But to choose a school based on its coach is just dumb. Unless it’s Saban or Sweeney. You’re buying the used car salesman pitch if you are. 

Are we talking about Lincoln Riley or not...  If so kids were only going to Norman to play for him especially top qb's wide recievers and running backs. Half of the kids are already crystal balled to USC ! Irish better step up there game or he will be running up the score on us sooner than later 

1 hour ago, burkdd12 said:

Are we talking about Lincoln Riley or not...  If so kids were only going to Norman to play for him especially top qb's wide recievers and running backs. Half of the kids are already crystal balled to USC ! Irish better step up there game or he will be running up the score on us sooner than later 

I was told I was naive that kids only commit to coaches. I’m saying that’s just not true. Offensive players, yes, may be commuting because of Riley. Defensive players not so much. Hence, why they have sucked so bad in his tenure. 

• Leprechaun 1

8 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Lot of in-home visits coming up this week. Need to crush the in-home with CJ Williams on Wednesday to try to hold off USC. BK, Rees, Del, and Polian will all be there - they really need to crush it because this one seems to be slipping away. Other key in-homes would be Amorion Walker on Thursday (Rees, Del, Taylor), and Jaylen Sneed (Freeman - Thursday), who is fresh off a visit to South Carolina. Quinn and Rees seeing Billy Schrauth this week as well - need to try to close that one. ND also going in-home with former USC QB commit Devin Brown, but ND is behind OSU and Texas - will be a very uphill climb.

Lot of 2023 recruits getting visits as well (Carnell Tate, Luke Montgomery, Justice Haynes, Jackson Arnold).

Is Jaylen Sneed someone we need to worry about? Really hope we can hang onto him. 

3 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Well under the circumstances I would think everybody is on the worry category. Need to keep Freeman happy. 

What circumstances? We're 11-1 and have made the CFP two of the last three years with a shot of making it 3 of 4. Generally I agree though (I think you might be saying this), they need to continue to recruit all of the committed players until they sign. 

LOL, I just saw the Kelly to LSU news. I found out the circumstances! 

Edited by Pregame

8 minutes ago, Pregame said:

What circumstances? We're 11-1 and have made the CFP two of the last three years with a shot of making it 3 of 4. Generally I agree though (I think you might be saying this), they need to continue to recruit all of the committed players until they sign. 

LOL, I just saw the Kelly to LSU news. I found out the circumstances! 

That’s the “circumstances” 🙂

On 11/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, ColinKSU said:

They need to get out some new WR offers right now, and call some old targets to see if they're interested. Under no circumstances can this team have four people in the WR room next year, if Austin, Lenzy and Davis don't return. Completely unacceptable.

ISD reporting nrew 2022 offer out today

10 hours ago, Big23Head said:

Mick Assaf has set up a chat with tons of people in it including current and former ND players. They are discussing everything. They are bringing in recruits to discuss it right now. 

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1ynJOZ

They are also reporting Freeman is the new head coach 

It was really really cool to get the players perspectives on this. As usual, they were way more levelheaded than the fans.

2 minutes ago, coltssb said:

It wouldn’t allow me to look. Weird. Any current recruits commenting?

Eli Raridon was on there and I think he basically said the group chat is hoping its Freeman and they want to stay together, but I didn't hear that directly, just secondhand from what people reported on Twitter. I listened to Weishar, Kmet, Golic Jr., Book, Mick Assaf, Pat Pellini all chatting. Very interesting. 

23 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

How can ND be trailing for the ‘22 QB with OSU? They have their ‘22 QB.

ND is looking for a second QB this cycle. They targeted LSU commit Walker Howard, but he stuck with LSU. They moved on to Devin Brown (former USC commit), but since he decommited from the Trojans, OSU and Texas appear to be the frontrunners. There is another QB that ND is supposedly tracking - Florida's QB commit - but haven't heard anything really. Think ND's focus is on Brown, but the coaching change will make it very difficult to gain any traction, especially with ESD coming up in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

ND is looking for a second QB this cycle. They targeted LSU commit Walker Howard, but he stuck with LSU. They moved on to Devin Brown (former USC commit), but since he decommited from the Trojans, OSU and Texas appear to be the frontrunners. There is another QB that ND is supposedly tracking - Florida's QB commit - but haven't heard anything really. Think ND's focus is on Brown, but the coaching change will make it very difficult to gain any traction, especially with ESD coming up in a few weeks.

If Walker Howard did not want to play for Kelly at ND, is it possible that he will not want to play for him at LSU?

• Like 1