2022 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

2 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

I will say, I’d be surprised if Pyne stays to be a backup.

Id be ahocked if he left before he got his degree.  Hes a team guy and loves Notre Dame. Plus he'll battle for the starting spot and be 1 play away from starting all year.   And Buchner has already got injured twice. Cant see him leaving

9 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Teams are going to modify how they recruit QBs. Look for more power house schools to deliberately sign a low rated back up every few classes to have a has a hedge against transfers and injuries. 

John Calipari learned that lesson years ago when they didn’t have one year mandatory year in basketball.  He signed Kendrick Perkins, Amari Stoudamire, and another guy who went to the Trailblazers.  All went pro and Cal was left with a lot of missing pieces.  He figured out how to get a lot of solid guys and then take a risk on one or two big blue chippers.

19 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Teams are going to modify how they recruit QBs. Look for more power house schools to deliberately sign a low rated back up every few classes to have a has a hedge against transfers and injuries. 

Kelly has had the formula wrong. He starts the three stars and lets the higher rated QBs be the backups / insurance policies 

6 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Kelly has had the formula wrong. He starts the three stars and lets the higher rated QBs be the backups / insurance policies 

Of course, need to get the pithy response. F**k Phil Jurkovec. Ian Book kicked his f’n ass last year. He could’ve been starting this year and next year but he couldn’t wait his turn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Of course, need to get the pithy response. F**k Phil Jurkovec. Ian Book kicked his f’n ass last year. He could’ve been starting this year and next year but he couldn’t wait his turn.

It might have helped Phil stay if Kelly would have given him more pass attempts than Clemson gave their punter

• Like 2

Why do people insist on bringing up Jurkovec at every turn? He was not good at ND. The coaches - Chip Long and BK - definitely handled it poorly - but he did not earn anything while he was here. His last spring game was atrocious - he looked nothing like an ND QB should look. Book was in the Heisman conversation last season. He took ND to the Playoffs. TWICE. Why is Jurkovec still getting all the hype? Because some random "expert" put him in the first round in a Mock NFL draft over a year ago?

Jack Coan 2019 (last full season at Wisconsin): 69.6%, 8.0 y/a, 18-5 TD-INT, 151.8 RTG

Ian Book 2020 (last season at ND): 64.6%, 8.0 y/a, 15-3 TD-INT, 144.3 RTG

Jurkovec 2020 (full season as starter at BC): 61.0%, 7.6 y/a, 17-5 TD-INT, 138.7 RTG

Jurkovec was statistically worse than Ian Book last year and Coan from 2019.

Even this year: Coan 2021: 63.6%, 7.5 y/a, 12-3 TD-INT, 142.4 RTG

I don't think anyone would confuse Coan for being a tier one QB in college football. He really struggled for about 3-4 games. And yet he has almost identical stats to Jurkovec's best year at BC. He's obviously more of a runner than Coan, but let's not act like Jurkovec is the next coming of Lamar Jackson or Robert Griffith.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Why do people insist on bringing up Jurkovec at every turn? He was not good at ND. The coaches - Chip Long and BK - definitely handled it poorly - but he did not earn anything while he was here. His last spring game was atrocious - he looked nothing like an ND QB should look. Book was in the Heisman conversation last season. He took ND to the Playoffs. TWICE. Why is Jurkovec still getting all the hype? Because some random "expert" put him in the first round in a Mock NFL draft over a year ago?

Jack Coan 2019 (last full season at Wisconsin): 69.6%, 8.0 y/a, 18-5 TD-INT, 151.8 RTG

Jurkovec 2020 (full season as starter at BC): 61.0%, 7.6 y/a, 17-5 TD-INT, 138.7 RTG

I don't think anyone would confuse Coan for being a tier one QB in college football. He really struggled for about 3-4 games. And yet he has almost identical stats to Jurkovec's best year at BC. He's obviously more of a runner than Coan, but let's not act like Jurkovec is the next coming of Lamar Jackson or Robert Griffith.

You know what the counter argument is here. Jurk went to a program with less talent, on its third coach in three years, from a run based offense to more of a pass, was learning a new system, and BC has been notoriously bad the past 10 years. He didn’t exactly go to a program with an established track record of winning and developing qb’s. Didn’t they just come off Brown as their qb?  A running option an, at that. I could be wrong. 
Either way, I’m necessarily disagreeing with your premise because what’s done is done and I don’t care. Just playing devils advocate. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Until this year, BK had a pattern of giving backup QBs and OL almost no playing time. Backup QBs when they got in did nothing more than hand the ball off. Other coaches at CFP quality schools somehow managed to give their QBs meaningful playing time.

Given that retention of backup players is a key concern with the transfer portal, finding ways to give second stringers some playing time might keep them around.

I bring up Phil since one year Clemson's punter had the same number of completions (2) than ND's 2nd and 3rd string QBs combined. I also believe that Clemson also had four QBs have more passes than Phil that year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, golson5 said:

Is it possible Schrauth is waiting because he doesn't want the backlash of leaving his home state? This is an odd recruitment

Anything is possible and that very well could be the case. I just don't have any faith in Quinn to close. I hope he proves me wrong.I truly do as I want these last 2 O-linemen bad. I just think Kelly got rid of the wrong guy. He should have kept Chip Long and let go of Quinn. Then hired the best O-line coach he could possibly get. But then again no one is paying me millions of dollars to make these decisions.

Edited by ndfanatic78

1 hour ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I just think Kelly got rid of the wrong guy. He should have kept Chip Long and let go of Quinn. Then hired the best O-line coach he could possibly get. But then again no one is paying me millions of dollars to make these decisions.

I feel underinformed around the Chip Long saga. Are you saying he didn't get along with only Quinn so it was a "him or me" scenario? Are you saying that Long was an option as an Oline coach? Something else?

2 hours ago, soulpatch said:

I feel underinformed around the Chip Long saga. Are you saying he didn't get along with only Quinn so it was a "him or me" scenario? Are you saying that Long was an option as an Oline coach? Something else?

No, I was saying keep Long as your OC, i think he was the TE coach, fire Quinn, that is where the majority of Long’s attitude issues were directed, and hire the best Oline coach money could buy.

35 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

No, I was saying keep Long as your OC, i think he was the TE coach, fire Quinn, that is where the majority of Long’s attitude issues were directed, and hire the best Oline coach money could buy.

Do you not know the Chip Long stories? Long absolutely demoralized several players on the offense. He could get over the top.  It was a rough situation and there was no way Long was staying in South Bend. Boils down to Long had to learn a hard lesson and do better himself. 

Yes I heard that. I also heard that he was a big reason for many coming to ND. I also heard that he was most frustrated with Oline play while he was here and felt that the coaching was subpar. There are always kids that don’t like the way a certain coach treats them. Not saying they were wrong just that some kids thrive being torn down and built back up some don’t.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:55 PM, jbrown_9999 said:

It might have helped Phil stay if Kelly would have given him more pass attempts than Clemson gave their punter

If that’s why he left, f him. He’s not that good. I’d rather have him than Coan, but he’s not good enough to think so highly of himself.

9 minutes ago, PJacksonsDred15 said:

pretty surprising that Wagner committed. Was thinking Kentucky because I was under the impression his brother coaches there. 

No doubt, adds another All-American to the list. That's 14 now I believe. 

Edited by Big23Head
  • Leprechaun 1