2022 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

On 10/17/2021 at 1:22 PM, Big23Head said:

No just visiting players. The next two weekends are big recruiting weekends. Quite big. 

Worth noting the LSU news. I don’t believe Walker Howard is an early enrollee which will give him time to see who the new coach is before finalizing a choice. I struggle to see him anywhere but LSU. 

I keep hearing Michigan State’s coach as the front runner for LSU. There will be tons of pressure on Walker to play at LSU. But who knows?  A great game-day atmosphere at ND coupled with a big win against a storied rival?  
Maybe….?

4 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

So, from the rumblings I have heard, it seems Billy Schrauth is leaning toward Notre Dame right now...

EDIT: We posted at the same time coltssb, lol... Did you mean "now" instead of "not."

Yes. My iPhone X auto corrects when I don’t want it to and doesn’t correct when I need it too. Haha. Yes, CB’d to ND now. 

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

My phone does that all the time with "gave" and "have," it irritates me.

Getting Billy would be a great momentum builder going into the end of the cycle for this class. Still not sure if Walker is going to stay with us or not.

Agreed. Schrauth would be a massive win because it sounds like ND wants at least 4 but potentially 5 OL in this class. Schrauth and Wagner were drifting away for a while, so getting Schrauth in the class is huge. ND was also looking at a BC commit - I believe Quinn visited him last week - not sure if that is still in play or if they will settle with 4 (assuming Schrauth is Irish). Tanona-Chan-Craig-Schrauth is a very good OL haul. Not elite. But following the Fisher-Spindler-Alt-Coogan-Johnson haul of 2021, things are looking good.

Walker is visiting for ND/USC. Need to keep him in the class. Not sure who else is out there at WR. If ND keeps Walker, they likely settle on a 3-man WR class. Probably have to go to the portal this offseason to get some depth with the really bad 2019 and 2020 classes.

ND needs to kill it this weekend. ND can make huge moves with Nwankpa, Lucas, and Hero - and hopefully close the deal with Schrauth. Not to mention all of the elite 2023 recruits who will also be there.

5-star QB Walker Howard (LSU) commit will be at ND/USC on an official visit. He was supposed to visit for the Cincinnati game but had to cancel the night before when he got hurt during his HS game. Probably for the best because the atmosphere and game should be about a thousand times better. ND apparently also trying to get fellow LSU commit and 5-star OL Will Campbell to visit as well. 

I don't think anything will ultimately come of this - his dad played QB at LSU and he is very familiar with LSU and has a ton of connections there - but it doesn't hurt to get him on campus.

I love that recruiting buzz is picking back up.  We need to finish this class strong.  As mentioned, Schrauth would be a big get.  I'd still like us to take another WR just for an extra body there for injuries and whatnot. 

How do you all think they are navigating conversations with Angeli given that we have a 5* at the same position visiting? 

17 minutes ago, Jburkdd12 said:

Why would we have walker as a take still. If the kid is committed then stop going to Michigan. With the transfor portal and kids not having to sit out year you need kids who 100% want to be Irish. 

If you only go after kids that are 100 percent all in you're going to miss out on a lot of good players.   We ha e a bunch on the team now that took visits elsewhere or were committed elsewhere. Some guys who decommitted from us and recommitted

You go after the best players 

14 hours ago, golson5 said:

Is Chan visiting other schools?

He visited BC last week, but apparently there was nothing to it. Not sure if it was just to see friends on the team (he's from Mass) or if it was an actual visit, but no concern that he flips right now.

16 hours ago, Jburkdd12 said:

Why would we have walker as a take still. If the kid is committed then stop going to Michigan. With the transfor portal and kids not having to sit out year you need kids who 100% want to be Irish. 

Good, recent (and free) read about Walker's recruitment. As one might expect, it doesn't provide anything definitive but it doesn't read as an imminent flip, IMHO.

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/notre-dame-commit-amorion-walker-opens-up-about-interest-in-michigan

Either way, it sounds like this will be put to bed in November.

Edited by soulpatch

My thoughts on remaining 2022 recruits as of today. 

Walker Howard: seems very clear ND is the backup plan. Pretty simple. 

Aamil Wagner: hard seeing him go anywhere but Kentucky. He has some solid ties there. 

Billy Schrauth: I’m not sure anyone knows where he’s going. Could go either way with Wisconsin. 

Anthony Lucas: always felt he would stay south, Alabama or A&M. He has the academics but it feels like that big football matters more. 

Hero Kanu: hard read. Lots of visits to go but I’d bet against ND right now. 

Xavier Nwankpa: I think ND is behind right now. The way he talks just seems like ND will come in second here. 

I’d expect a few new names down the road. It will be interesting to watch over the next few weeks, a lot will happen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1