2022 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

12 hours ago, Big23Head said:

FWIW, the All-Americans are Angeli, Merriweather, Williams*, Walker, Tanona, Chan, Ford, Sneed, Burnham, Tuihalamaka, and Moore

Staes, Merriweather, Williams*, and Tuihalamaka are all invited to the Poly Bowl as well. I wouldn't be shock to see a couple more ND commits added to lists. 

We say this every year, but I do think ND has a solid shot for multiple players to rise in the rankings. Not all will, but due to covid limiting exposure I think several will have a good opportunity. Guys I see having the best shot to improve their rating are Price, Walker, Staes, Raridon, Chan, Gobaira, Ziegler, Mickey, and Moore.

Anyone have an opinion with on3.com and their ranking of recruits?

Here are their ranking of prospects for 2022:

No. 14 - Anthony Lucas, Defensive Line
No. 39 - Zach Rice, Offensive Line
No. 45 - Cyrus Moss, Defensive End
No. 60 - Xavier Nwankpa, Safety
No. 91 - Hero Kanu, Defensive Tackle
No. 111 - Aamil Wagner, Offensive Tackle
No. 127 - Billy Schrauth, Guard
No. 155 - Tobias Merriweather, Wide Receiver
No. 217 - Major Everhart, Wide Receiver (ranked as a RB)

Edited by jbrown_9999

I think things are likely to be quiet for the 2022 class in the short term. The only real potential I see is Billy Schrauth but that recruitment is really into who knows land. More than likely the rest wait until fall if not Dec./Jan. to announce. ND is in a fantastic position heading into the season though.

• Leprechaun 2

20 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

I think things are likely to be quiet for the 2022 class in the short term. The only real potential I see is Billy Schrauth but that recruitment is really into who knows land. More than likely the rest wait until fall if not Dec./Jan. to announce. ND is in a fantastic position heading into the season though.

Will be interesting in how ND and prospects approach in season OV's. 

38 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Will be interesting in how ND and prospects approach in season OV's. 

No doubt. It will also be interesting to see how many new prospects emerge provided everything continues as normally as possible.

6 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

No doubt. It will also be interesting to see how many new prospects emerge provided everything continues as normally as possible.

Agree - seems like we're left with big game hunting on defense (Moss, Nwampka, Lucas and Heru) and all of them either want to take fall game day visits or generally plan to announce in December of January.  On offense we're looking for that last OL prospect (Schrauth,  Wagner, Rice) and maybe a 2nd RB if one emerges in the fall.

Either way, the class is very good but could be great with a few more of these guys.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, D Fence said:

Agree - seems like we're left with big game hunting on defense (Moss, Nwampka, Lucas and Heru) and all of them either want to take fall game day visits or generally plan to announce in December of January.  On offense we're looking for that last OL prospect (Schrauth,  Wagner, Rice) and maybe a 2nd RB if one emerges in the fall.

Either way, the class is very good but could be great with a few more of these guys.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see if they add an offensive athlete. I'd love it see a decent sized speed guy that plays all over. Very intrigued to watch the current 3* commits to see how they perform. I really like several of them. 

I do this every year, usually not this early, but for comparison right now. It will be interesting to see how the 2021 and 2022 classes pan out compared to rankings with COVID:

2022- .9153 (current class)

2021- .9035 (adjusted to remove K Bryan and QB Powlus)

2020 - .9140 (adjusted to remove LS Peitsch)

2019 - .9094 (adjusted to remove P Bramblett)

2018 - .9005

2017 - .8980 (adjusted to remove K Doerer)

2016 - .8934 (adjusted to remove LS Shannon)

2015 - .9067 (adjusted to remove K Yoon)

2014 - .8974 (adjusted to remove P Newsome)

2013 - .9230 (Jaylon and Co.)

Nearly every player left on the current ND board would raise the player rating. They can potentially approach the Jaylon Smith class however, I think they have better ND profile fits than that class had.

Edited by Big23Head

2 hours ago, D Fence said:

It'll be nice having gameday visitors again, and ND should be able to lay out the red carpet with so few spots left on the board.

I believe Wagner, Nwankpa, Kanu, and Andre Greene (Top 100 WR) all plan to take gameday visits. I think Anthony Lucas is also planning to take a gameday visit, but it's hard to see ND landing him.

ND did all they could with Moss and Rice, but they won't win those. Rice seems UNC bound. Moss probably stays out West - likely Oregon, but who knows.

If ND can close on Schrauth, Wagner, Kanu, and Nwankpa, it would be the best class since 2013 by far.

Edited by tneun89

3 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

It'll be nice having gameday visitors again, and ND should be able to lay out the red carpet with so few spots left on the board.

I believe Wagner, Nwankpa, Kanu, and Andre Greene (Top 100 WR) all plan to take gameday visits. I think Anthony Lucas is also planning to take a gameday visit, but it's hard to see ND landing him.

ND did all they could with Moss and Rice, but they won't win those. Rice seems UNC bound. Moss probably stays out West - likely Oregon, but who knows.

If ND can close on Schrauth, Wagner, Kanu, and Nwankpa, it would be the best class since 2013 by far.

If ND closed with those four commits, they would finish with 287.29 on the 247 Composite. The 2013 class finished with 284.77 (despite having two 5-stars).

The 287.29 would have given ND the following ranked classes in the past four cycles.

• 2021: 6
  • 2020: 7
  • 2019: 4
  • 2018: 6

23 hours ago, Domers23 said:

I really like Angelli a lot.  It looks like he may have great intangibles that will help him succeed as a qb.  I'm calling it now.  I think he is going to be a special player at ND.  

Me too. ND always strikes gold when they mine the talented guys in New Jersey!

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2021 at 3:20 PM, SDIrishFan said:

Isn’t there potential that some of our current commits could improve their rankings? I’m thinking Sneed and Walker in particular. I know other guys could drop too to offset. Just curious.

Sure, some will go up and maybe some down. Sneed rising will be exciting from a stars perspective and definitely be exciting, but if Walker and a few other lower guys prove to be 4* then the class really changes overall.

Edited by Big23Head