2022 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

6 hours ago, Domers23 said:

I think they would probably be done except for continuing to pursue singleton. He really likes Notre Dame and from what I’ve heard he may have even told them that he was in after his visit. I think if he chooses PSU the pressure of staying home was too much. Knowing he really likes ND they might have a shot at flipping him if they stay on him. 

Sure hope your vibes are right, We will find out tonorrow at 5 pm

13 hours ago, golson5 said:

Things are trending back our way for Benjamin Morrison......

Our defensive staff needs a raise

They are doing an incredible job for sure.  They are bringing in a lot of great defensive talent in this class and off to a superb start for the '23 class. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, Big23Head said:

BVG killed all D recruiting. Elston is the reason DL recruiting is where it is and Freeman has only helped. Brenan Vernon raved about Elston. 

BVG has not been at ND since 2016. Not sure the last recruiting class you can blame him for.

In any case, I agree that Elston has seemed to be an improvement over Polian as RC. That said, it seems that Freeman is the #1 reason for defensive recruiting to have picked up. Add Elston into the mix for DL recruiting and the combo of Elston/Freeman is probably the reason that DL recruiting is where it is right now. Having 4 DEs drafted the past two drafts is also a big factor.

Edited by jbrown_9999

On 7/3/2021 at 11:10 PM, Domers23 said:

Jake “POPE” Ends his tweet with God bless?  Come on, it can’t be anybody else right?

Seems that Jake Pope has been pretty "silent" about which way he is leaning given that there are no crystal balls for him to go anywhere.

July will be an interesting month. ND already has 18 commits. Class is likely going to reach 25 or 26.

QB: Done. Angeli (4-star, #234 overall) is the guy. He is a good prospect, especially after getting Buchner last cycle, but ND needs to start landing Top 100/Top 50 recruits at QB. You need a stud at QB to win a title in today's college football. It's just the harsh reality. ND needs to do better.

RB: Likely done. Jadarian Price (4-star, #225 overall) will likely be the only RB taken this cycle. ND swung and missed on Gavin Sawchuk (OU), Dallan Hayden (OSU), and Nicholas Singleton (PSU). Singleton stings the most because he's the best of the bunch and it seems like he was ready to commit to ND about two weeks after his official.  Then everything changed. ND will continue to recruit him and try to flip him, though. Don't expect any additional targets.

WR: Amorion Walker (3-star, #831 overall) is the only commit so far, but that should change in the near future. C.J. Williams (4-star, #73 overall) is a heavy ND lean and could commit in July or August. It would be a shocker if he didn't pick ND. Tobias Merriweather (4-star, #124 overall) also appears to be an ND lean, but Stanford and Oregon, among other West Coast schools, are still in play. However, I like ND to land both. I think Merriweather is not making a public announcement until the All American Game, but he will probably commit before then. Not sure what ND's plans are in terms of taking a fourth WR. Andre Greene (4-star, #154 overall) has already said ND is in his Top 5 and he will take an official during the season. Eric Eyomanor (3-star, N/A) has visited ND twice this summer (one unofficial, one official), but not sure how hard ND is pushing. Xayvion Bradshwa (3-star, N/A) was scheduled to take an official, but then it was cancelled - likely because ND felt good about other prospects on the board. But Nicholas Anderson (4-star, #215 overall) surprised everyone by picking Oregon (rumors were that he was a silent to ND), so maybe that opens the door back up. ND needs to keep Walker (Alabama and LSU recently offered) and land both Williams and Merriweather for the offensive class to be considered elite or borderline elite.

TE: Done. ND landed Holden Staes (4-star, #269 overall) and Eli Rairdon (3-star, #454 overall). I don't understand Staes ranking as his offer list is a who's who of the elite programs. Rairdon has been compared to Tyler Eiffert by some. Seems to be a really strong TE class (as it should be).

OL: Joey Tanona (4-star, #166 overall), Ty Chan (4-star, #204 overall) and Ashton Craig (3-star, #577 overall) are in the fold and solid recruits. I think Chan specifically could be a monster in college - he has a ton of athleticism and strength - he just needs a lot of coaching because his fundamentals are not as good as the truly elite OL prospects. ND is still fighting for Billy Schrauth (4-star, #159 overall) and Aamil Wagner (4-star, #110 overall). Schrauth was a heavy ND lean for months, then he became a Wisconsin lean recently. Not sure where that will end up - the longer it goes, likely the better for ND. Wagner is down to ND, OSU, and Kentucky. OSU might not have room. His brother plays at Kentucky, so this could be a Kentucky/ND battle. ND needs to win that one - high upside. Zach Rice (5-star, #5 overall) is still on the board - ND crushed his visit, but distance will probably prevent this one from happening. UNC and Virginia appear to be the favorites. 

DL: Tyson Ford (4-star, #137 overall), Aiden Gobaira (4-star, #251 overall), Darren Agu (3-star, #482 overall), and Donovan Hinish (3-star, #485 overall) are committed. Gobaira got a huge rankings bump after his season this spring - he could continue to rise up the rankings. Agu is raw but has a ton of athleticism (appropriately rated as a 3-star, though). Hinish is probably a better recruit than his brother, but he had very few offers (likely because schools saw him as an ND lock). ND is still fighting for Cyrus Moss (4-star, #56 overall) and Anthony Lucas (4-star, #83 overall). Hard to read those recruitments. Moss has been predicted to go to Oregon, but he won't be making a decision for a while. Lucas seems to like ND and Texas A&M the most. Hard to predict that either will end up in the class, but if ND can land one, it's a great DL haul.

LB: Niuafe Tuihalamaka (4-star, #107 overall), Joshua Burnham (4-star, #112 overall), and Nolan Ziegler (4-star, #314 overall) are in the fold. ND is the heavy favorite to land Jaylen Sneed (4-star, #70 overall) - he may even be a silent. If he commits, ND has one of the top LB classes in the country, if not the top. Sneed is a borderline 5-star. He recently won MVP at the Rivals 5-star challenge, beating out two 5-star recruits from OSU. 

DB: Jaden Mickey (4-star, #230 overall), Devin Moore (3-star, #422), and Jayden Bellamy (3-star, #453 overall) are committed. Mickey is a really good CB prospect who had a great junior season in the spring. Devin Moore is probably one of the most underrated recruits in the class - Alabama really wanted him. Bellamy is a guy that the 247 analysts have talked about bumping up to 4-star status - his offers from Clemson, LSU, and OSU should say all that you need to know. ND is in the final group for Jake Pope (3-star, #384 overall), along with Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio State. It seemed like ND was leading after his official, but UNC is also right there. ND is also in the top group for Xavier Nwankpa (4-star, #54 overall). He is likely OSU bound, but there may not be room for him if he doesn't make a decision soon (yes, OSU's recruiting is that ridiculous). Iowa could also be a factor, but this seems to be an ND/OSU battle right now. Benjamin Morrison (4-star, #317 overall) is trending back to ND. Earlier in the spring, ND was the favorite, then it seemed like Washington pulled ahead. Now, ND might be back in front. He has a Top 3 of ND, Washington, and Alabama. This is a Washington/ND battle. 

Other Targets: Just a reminder that at this point last year, nobody was talking about Audric Estime or Khari Gee, and Deion Colzie was a decommit (he didn't recommit until September). So, a lot can and will change over the next few months. But there should be a ton of clarity by the end of this month. 

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 2

30 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

July will be an interesting month. ND already has 18 commits. Class is likely going to reach 25 or 26.

QB: Done. Angeli (4-star, #234 overall) is the guy. He is a good prospect, especially after getting Buchner last cycle, but ND needs to start landing Top 100/Top 50 recruits at QB. You need a stud at QB to win a title in today's college football. It's just the harsh reality. ND needs to do better.

RB: Likely done. Jadarian Price (4-star, #225 overall) will likely be the only RB taken this cycle. ND swung and missed on Gavin Sawchuk (OU), Dallan Hayden (OSU), and Nicholas Singleton (PSU). Singleton stings the most because he's the best of the bunch and it seems like he was ready to commit to ND about two weeks after his official.  Then everything changed. ND will continue to recruit him and try to flip him, though. Don't expect any additional targets.

WR: Amorion Walker (3-star, #831 overall) is the only commit so far, but that should change in the near future. C.J. Williams (4-star, #73 overall) is a heavy ND lean and could commit in July or August. It would be a shocker if he didn't pick ND. Tobias Merriweather (4-star, #124 overall) also appears to be an ND lean, but Stanford and Oregon, among other West Coast schools, are still in play. However, I like ND to land both. I think Merriweather is not making a public announcement until the All American Game, but he will probably commit before then. Not sure what ND's plans are in terms of taking a fourth WR. Andre Greene (4-star, #154 overall) has already said ND is in his Top 5 and he will take an official during the season. Eric Eyomanor (3-star, N/A) has visited ND twice this summer (one unofficial, one official), but not sure how hard ND is pushing. Xayvion Bradshwa (3-star, N/A) was scheduled to take an official, but then it was cancelled - likely because ND felt good about other prospects on the board. But Nicholas Anderson (4-star, #215 overall) surprised everyone by picking Oregon (rumors were that he was a silent to ND), so maybe that opens the door back up. ND needs to keep Walker (Alabama and LSU recently offered) and land both Williams and Merriweather for the offensive class to be considered elite or borderline elite.

TE: Done. ND landed Holden Staes (4-star, #269 overall) and Eli Rairdon (3-star, #454 overall). I don't understand Staes ranking as his offer list is a who's who of the elite programs. Rairdon has been compared to Tyler Eiffert by some. Seems to be a really strong TE class (as it should be).

OL: Joey Tanona (4-star, #166 overall), Ty Chan (4-star, #204 overall) and Ashton Craig (3-star, #577 overall) are in the fold and solid recruits. I think Chan specifically could be a monster in college - he has a ton of athleticism and strength - he just needs a lot of coaching because his fundamentals are not as good as the truly elite OL prospects. ND is still fighting for Billy Schrauth (4-star, #159 overall) and Aamil Wagner (4-star, #110 overall). Schrauth was a heavy ND lean for months, then he became a Wisconsin lean recently. Not sure where that will end up - the longer it goes, likely the better for ND. Wagner is down to ND, OSU, and Kentucky. OSU might not have room. His brother plays at Kentucky, so this could be a Kentucky/ND battle. ND needs to win that one - high upside. Zach Rice (5-star, #5 overall) is still on the board - ND crushed his visit, but distance will probably prevent this one from happening. UNC and Virginia appear to be the favorites. 

DL: Tyson Ford (4-star, #137 overall), Aiden Gobaira (4-star, #251 overall), Darren Agu (3-star, #482 overall), and Donovan Hinish (3-star, #485 overall) are committed. Gobaira got a huge rankings bump after his season this spring - he could continue to rise up the rankings. Agu is raw but has a ton of athleticism (appropriately rated as a 3-star, though). Hinish is probably a better recruit than his brother, but he had very few offers (likely because schools saw him as an ND lock). ND is still fighting for Cyrus Moss (4-star, #56 overall) and Anthony Lucas (4-star, #83 overall). Hard to read those recruitments. Moss has been predicted to go to Oregon, but he won't be making a decision for a while. Lucas seems to like ND and Texas A&M the most. Hard to predict that either will end up in the class, but if ND can land one, it's a great DL haul.

LB: Niuafe Tuihalamaka (4-star, #107 overall), Joshua Burnham (4-star, #112 overall), and Nolan Ziegler (4-star, #314 overall) are in the fold. ND is the heavy favorite to land Jaylen Sneed (4-star, #70 overall) - he may even be a silent. If he commits, ND has one of the top LB classes in the country, if not the top. Sneed is a borderline 5-star. He recently won MVP at the Rivals 5-star challenge, beating out two 5-star recruits from OSU. 

DB: Jaden Mickey (4-star, #230 overall), Devin Moore (3-star, #422), and Jayden Bellamy (3-star, #453 overall) are committed. Mickey is a really good CB prospect who had a great junior season in the spring. Devin Moore is probably one of the most underrated recruits in the class - Alabama really wanted him. Bellamy is a guy that the 247 analysts have talked about bumping up to 4-star status - his offers from Clemson, LSU, and OSU should say all that you need to know. ND is in the final group for Jake Pope (3-star, #384 overall), along with Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio State. It seemed like ND was leading after his official, but UNC is also right there. ND is also in the top group for Xavier Nwankpa (4-star, #54 overall). He is likely OSU bound, but there may not be room for him if he doesn't make a decision soon (yes, OSU's recruiting is that ridiculous). Iowa could also be a factor, but this seems to be an ND/OSU battle right now. Benjamin Morrison (4-star, #317 overall) is trending back to ND. Earlier in the spring, ND was the favorite, then it seemed like Washington pulled ahead. Now, ND might be back in front. He has a Top 3 of ND, Washington, and Alabama. This is a Washington/ND battle. 

Other Targets: Just a reminder that at this point last year, nobody was talking about Audric Estime or Khari Gee, and Deion Colzie was a decommit (he didn't recommit until September). So, a lot can and will change over the next few months. But there should be a ton of clarity by the end of this month. 

Thanks for the comprehensive update!

Based on what ND is predicted to get, Williams (WR), Merriweather (WR), Sneed (LB), Pope (S), and Morrison (DB), I really like if they could land two out of Rice (OL), Lucas (DL), Moss (DL), and Nwankpa (S). If they can land two of those it would be a VERY good recruiting class, maybe the best in the Kelly era (2013 holds that title now I believe). I would be happy if Notre Dame gets only the "heavy leans" and none of the extras listed; besides, I am sure there will be more names that pop up.

9 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

BVG has not been at ND since 2016. Not sure the last recruiting class you can blame him for.

In any case, I agree that Elston has seemed to be an improvement over Polian as RC. That said, it seems that Freeman is the #1 reason for defensive recruiting to have picked up. Add Elston into the mix for DL recruiting and the combo of Elston/Freeman is probably the reason that DL recruiting is where it is right now. Having 4 DEs drafted the past two drafts is also a big factor.

I didn't realize you were referring to last years class alone. I was looking at it overall since BVG.

5 hours ago, tneun89 said:

This part is a big deal, in particular for this year. A lot of kids haven't played, will have significantly matured physically, and evaluations will be rolling all summer and fall. ND should be in a good place to find some players if needed. 

5 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Nwanpka is the only safety left on the board then?

Yes. It sounds like things swung back in ND's favor for AZ CB Benjamin Morrison (4-star, #317 overall) - he may even already have committed. So, ND has CBs Jaden Mickey and Benjamin Morrison, with CB/S Jayden Bellamy and CB/S Devin Moore. Moore is probably going to end up as a CB, while Bellamy seems more like a S (just speculation on my part, but I know Moore is viewed as a better CB than S). So, if he commits, Xavier Nwankpa would be the only true S in the class, but likely one of two with Bellamy. When Morrison commits, ND will shut down DB recruiting with the exception of Nwankpa. 

They cancelled Kevin Winston's (3-star, #645 overall) official that was supposed to take place a few weeks ago. I thought Jake Pope might end up in the class, but now it seems like he's probably going to end up at UNC. 

If we land Morrison, I feel pretty good about the DB haul.  Tneun, I think you're right that the staff likes Moore as a boundary corner, but he or Bellamy could certainly play S.  Ideal scenario is to land Nwampka and leave Moore at boundary, letting Bellamy start out at nickel / slot.

Posted (edited)

^ no surprises there... ugh. Not having either of the big 2 WRs announce any commitment is agonizing. lol, I just feel like the longer it goes on for Williams, the worse it is for ND.

Edited by NDhoosier

46 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

^ no surprises there... ugh. Not having either of the big 2 WRs announce any commitment is agonizing. lol, I just feel like the longer it goes on for Williams, the worse it is for ND.

I would agree but right now I think this ends in the next month or so. They also want Williams in the slot which explains the slow play on Bradshaw right now. Merriweather is the interesting one. Super close to the vest but has had ND and Stanford for a very long time. Mentioned maybe taking other visits but his past actions would seem to indicate other schools just aren't his interest. I would lose my mind if they somehow got Williams, Merriweather, Walker, and then surprise Andre Greene. 

41 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

I would agree but right now I think this ends in the next month or so. They also want Williams in the slot which explains the slow play on Bradshaw right now. Merriweather is the interesting one. Super close to the vest but has had ND and Stanford for a very long time. Mentioned maybe taking other visits but his past actions would seem to indicate other schools just aren't his interest. I would lose my mind if they somehow got Williams, Merriweather, Walker, and then surprise Andre Greene. 

I hate the slow play but I get it. But man, trying to guess what these kids really want is got to be hard. I think that’s why the staff has missed on a few in years past. Do coaches ever talk to guy’s teammates on what a kid is thinking?  Is that allowed?

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

I hate the slow play but I get it. But man, trying to guess what these kids really want is got to be hard. I think that’s why the staff has missed on a few in years past. Do coaches ever talk to guy’s teammates on what a kid is thinking?  Is that allowed?

I don’t if they talk to a guy’s teammate but I know they talk with their high school coaches and they can get some good information from them.

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

I don’t if they talk to a guy’s teammate but I know they talk with their high school coaches and they can get some good information from them.

In this case, I think the slower play is the right chose. Bradshaw is not currently a nationally coveted player. They have been on CJ for years and can state that to Bradshaw. Slow playing someone like Brayden Dorman or a higher rated player doesn't make sense to me. It is all about the communication when the offer is made. 

Side note for anyone who is following this, but Jack Nickel just committed to Sparty.  Good for him.

On CJ Williams, I think he said he was going to decide in July, so we should hear on him in the next few weeks.