NFL Draft coming up: Round 1 on Thursday, Rounds 2-3 on Friday, then Rounds 4-7 on Saturday.

There should be at least 6 ND guys drafted (Kmet, Claypool, Okwara, Pride, Kareem, Gilman), with the possibility of 1 or 2 more (Elliot, Bilal, Jamir Jones, Tony Jones, Chris Finke).

Mock Drafts

Kmet: The consensus #1 TE available (in a weak TE class). I have seen him in at the end of the 1st Round in a lot of mocks, but the majority I have seen have him going in the 2nd Round.

Claypool: He really improved his stock after the NFL Combine, but it's a really, really deep WR class this year. I have seen some mocks with him going late in the 1st Round, but most have him going in the 2nd or 3rd Rounds.

Okwara: COVID probably hurt his draft stock because he couldn't run at the Combine, but would have at ND's Pro Day. He held an informal pro day with Jalen Elliot, but not sure how much stock teams put into that. It sounds like ND has been sharing their internal data/testing numbers with NFL teams, so that is probably good for him. I have seen him as a First Round pick on a couple of mock drafts, but the majority have him as a 2nd or 3rd Round pick. It's a really weak Edge Rusher class, so he could be overvalued and be taken earlier.

Pride: It's a deep CB class, but CBs are always overvalued. Pride performed really well at the Senior Bowl and ran well at the Combine (although, he didn't run as fast as many ND people were expecting). I have seen him mostly going in the 3rd Round.

Kareem: Haven't heard too much buzz on him, but I know one analyst recently called him a sleeper/underrated (I think it was McShay, but not positive). He could go anywhere from the 3rd Round to the 5th Round, but I have seen him mostly in the 4th Round.

Gilman: Mocks are all over the place with him, some having him taken as early as the 4th Round and others having him go at the end of the 7th Round. He has value as a special teams player, so he should get drafted.

Elliot: Another guy who could have used ND's Pro Day to help his stock, as he really did not have a good Combine. I have seen him go in the 5th and 6th Rounds in some mocks, but I think there is also a real possibility he doesn't get drafted.

Bilal: Surprised he didn't get invited to the Combine after a great season. He probably would have tested well at ND's Pro Day.

Jamir Jones: Really great season, but probably a long shot to get drafted.

Tony Jones: Really surprised he got invited to the Combine. He did not do very well. He will get invited to a camp, but I doubt he sticks.

Finke: Same with Tony Jones - he got invited to the Combine but probably didn't do anything to make him a draft pick. He will also get invited to a camp. I think he has a chance to make a practice squad, but that's pure speculation.

Predictions

Kmet: 2nd Round

Okwara: 2nd Round

Claypool: 2nd Round

Pride: 3rd Round

Kareem: 4th Round

Gilman: 6th Round

Elliot: UDFA

Bilal: UDFA

J. Jones: UDFA

T. Jones: UDFA

C. Finke: UDFA

Edited by tneun89
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below are some rankings from various experts.

The Athletic Top 300

Cole Kmet: 58

Chase Claypool: 64

Troy Pride: 103

Khalid Kareem: 104

Julian Okwara: 106

Alohi Gilman: 203

Jalen Elliot: 248

https://theathletic.com/1758084/2020/04/21/top-300-draft-board-1-chase-young-to-300-bryce-huff/

NFL.com Top 150

Cole Kmet: 41

Chase Claypool: 72

Julian Okwara: 110

Khalid Kareem: 117

Alohi Gilman: 143

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110012/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-150-prospects-in-the-2020-nfl-draft-class

Sports Illustrated Top 255

Cole Kmet: 50

Julian Okwara: 54

Chase Claypool: 62

Troy Pride: 76

Khalid Kareem: 110

Alohi Gilman: 193

Jalen Elliot: 228

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/19/draft-big-board-updated-top-255-prospects

I don’t think PFF is the end all be all, however I do think their data is valuable. They had Bilal as our highest rated player and I think one of the highest rated in the country.

I’m stunned at the fact he wasn’t invited to the combine. After his awful game against Louisville he was fantastic. I think he should be drafted and if not I think he’ll make a team.

I also think Claypool is extremely underrated based on those lists. Imagine his numbers if Book was able to see him open downfield half the time. He’s going to be one of the steals of the draft.

Great analysis tneun!

Edited by ndomer4
I don’t think PFF is the end all be all, however I do think their data is valuable. They had Bilal as our highest rated player and I think one of the highest rated in the country.

I’m stunned at the fact he wasn’t invited to the combine. After his awful game against Louisville he was fantastic. I think he should be drafted and if not I think he’ll make a team.

I also think Claypool is extremely underrated based on those lists. Imagine his numbers if Book was able to see him open downfield half the time. He’s going to be one of the steals of the draft.

Great analysis tneun!

100% agree on Bilal - I was shocked that he wasn't invited and guys like Chris Finke/Tony Jones (no disrespect to them) were. I listened to a podcast which explained that only a certain number from each position group can be invited to the Combine. So, only a certain number of LBs could attend, and Bilal got squeezed out. I think he would have absolutely killed it at ND's Pro Day. He has always been somewhat of an athletic freak - he just never was able to translate that onto the field until last season. I think he deserves to get drafted, but I just don't know if he will because teams couldn't see him run or workout. I definitely see him making a roster.

I don't know what to think about where Claypool gets drafted. He killed it at the Combine and has a pretty unique skill set (also has some ST value), but it's such a deep WR class that I think there is a real chance he goes late 2nd/early 3rd. I just hope he goes to a team with a good QB. I think he could have a 10-year NFL career.

Jamir Jones is another guy that I think deserves some attention. He had a great season. He had 4.5 sacks in basically 8 games, compared to Julian Okwara who had 4 sacks in 8.5 games. Obviously, teams were more aware of Okwara and double-teamed him, but that's really impressive for a guy who was coming in off the bench. He won't get drafted, but I think he'll find his way on a roster or at least a practice squad.

Draft related, but not ND, Tristen Wirfs just got drafted! I knew his mom from HS, our towns are basically right next to each other and everyone knows everybody in the area. So happy for Tristan, really good kid and heck of an athlete.

He was #1 on Bruce Feldman’s annual “freak list” which ranks the best athletes in all of college football. Think he’ll be a stud in the NFL. Another Iowa OL in the NFL - giving ND a run for OLU (but definitely not there).

He was #1 on Bruce Feldman’s annual “freak list” which ranks the best athletes in all of college football. Think he’ll be a stud in the NFL. Another Iowa OL in the NFL - giving ND a run for OLU (but definitely not there).

I was surprised he was 4th OT taken. I think he's was better than the UL kid. But in the end still a first rounder.

Was holding out hope for Kmet going in the first, but with New England trading out and Tennessee picking an OT, I think he’ll have to wait until tomorrow. Should see anywhere from 3 to 5 Irish taken tomorrow in Rounds 2 and 3 (Kmet, Claypool, Okwara, Pride, Kareem).

the packers must hate Aaron Rodgers they never seem to get him any help in the draft.

I saw this stat last night: in the last 15 years, GB has only taken 2 skill position players in the 1st Round - Aaron Rodgers (2005) and Jordan Love (QB). Since drafting Rodgers in 2005, the Packers have never drafted a RB, WR, or TE in the 1st Round. They've drafted 2 OL and 12 defensive players in that time period. I would be livid if I was him - they need so much help at WR especially.

Not too surprising that no ND players got drafted last night - it's only the 3rd time in the last 9 years where ND hasn't had at least one 1st Round pick.

Kmet is the best TE, but there were only a few teams with 1st Round picks that could have potentially drafted him - New England, Tennessee, and Green Bay. He has a ton of value in the 2nd Round. He could be picked first by Cincinnati tonight (which would be awesome to pair him with Joe Burrow). Indianapolis, New England, and Chicago all seem like potential landing spots as well. He shouldn't last beyond the middle of the 2nd Round.

Claypool will definitely get drafted tonight. I still think he goes in the 2nd Round. There were 6 WRs taken last night. I've seen Claypool ranked below other WRs like Tee Higgins (Clemson), Laviska Shenault (Colorado), Michael Pittman (USC), KJ Hamler (Penn State), and Denzel Mims (Baylor), but I could definitely see him being taken before a couple of those guys.

Okwara probably falls to the 3rd Round. I thought he would get drafted higher than expected because of his position and the fact that it's a weak group this year. But only two edge rushers got taken last night, and there are some really good ones left on the board - AJ Epenesa (Iowa), Yetur Gross Matos (Penn State), Terrell Lewis (Alabama), and Curtis Weaver (Boise State). He still has some 2nd Round potential, though.

Troy Pride is looking good to go in the 3rd Round. There were 6 CBs taken last night. Most rankings had him somewhere between the 12th-15th best CB prospect. Guys like Kristian Fulton (LSU), Trevon Diggs (Alabama), Jaylon Johnson (Utah), and Bryce Hall (UVA) are some guys ranked ahead of Pride.

I think the other ND players (Kareem, Gilman, Elliot, etc.) will be Day 3 picks, although I could see Kareem going in the 3rd, but that would be somewhat surprising. Should see at least four ND players come off the board tonight.

I saw this stat last night: in the last 15 years, GB has only taken 2 skill position players in the 1st Round - Aaron Rodgers (2005) and Jordan Love (QB). Since drafting Rodgers in 2005, the Packers have never drafted a RB, WR, or TE in the 1st Round. They've drafted 2 OL and 12 defensive players in that time period. I would be livid if I was him - they need so much help at WR especially.

A part of me thought Kmet would get picked by Green Bay just because they have taken so many ND players in recent years.

The Green Bay pick was incredibly stupid. Why the hell would you trade up for him? No one in front of them was going to take him lol.

Rodgers should be livid, he takes them to the conference championship and they ignore the teams most glaring need.

I'll preface this by saying that mock drafts become increasingly less reliable round after round because there are too many unkowns - how teams rank players, how teams rank their position needs, trades, etc. The Top 50 players are ranked pretty consistenly, but after that, it's a crapshoot. Looking at some new mock drafts for Rounds 2 and 3 (written after Round 1), it looks like two ND guys are almost certainly going in Round 2 (Kmet and Okwara), while a third is possible (Claypool). Pride was also in the majority of mock drafts going in Round 3. So, I think four ND guys go off the board today. Three for sure.

I did see a few with Kmet lasting until Round 3, but I just don't see that happening. There are several teams that need a TE and I think one of them will grab Kmet in the Round 2 (probably top half of Round 2).

Okwara was listed as going in Round 2 in almost all the mock drafts I looked at, more consistently than Kmet, which was somewhat surprising for reasons mentioned above. But a lot of analysts think there will be a run of edge rushers drafted in Round 2, so it makes sense that some team will grab Okwara.

Claypool was listed in Round 2 and Round 3 about 50/50. I was really surprised to see that. It's a deep WR class, but his Combine numbers and his senior year film were outstanding. I just can't see him lasting past Round 2, but I am obviously incredibly biased.

Pride seems like a fairly safe bet to go in Round 3. I saw him listed in probably 75% of the mock drafts I looked at. He did well at the Combine and CB is one of the most overvalued positions in the draft - 6 CBs were taken in Round 1 and it's a good bet that at least 8-10 more will go in Rounds 2 and 3. He didn't make nearly enough plays (only 4 INTs in his career) and seemed to lose a ton of 50/50 balls last year, but he has some really good stats from his time at ND.

I didn't see Kareem listed in any, but you never know.

Why did Claypool not get drafted in first round if his measurables were so good at the Combine?

Is the second best WR at Alabama really that much better than ND's #1 WR?

Just an outside perspective. Every time I turned on Alabama one of those explosive receivers was scoring a td. When I turn on ND highlights, Claypool was barely around. I didn’t see a lot explosive plays from him. I know theirs a lot more that factors in- qb play, better teammates, system, defenses etc...I also know the college game doesn’t always translate to the pro game. Either way, I under why Claypool didn’t get drafted in the first.

Say your the GM, does Claypool scream first rounder? Honest question.

Why did Claypool not get drafted in first round if his measurables were so good at the Combine?

Is the second best WR at Alabama really that much better than ND's #1 WR?

Because it's more than measurables - it's about what's on tape. DK Metcalf from Ole Miss had one of the best Combine performances ever last year and he was drafted #64 overall. Claypool had one really good season last year, but he was no more than a solid #2 in 2018 (behind Boykin). Those Alabama WRs had insane numbers for multiple years. Jerry Jeudy had back-to-back 1,000+ yard, 10+ TD seasons. Henry Ruggs is a big-play machine. He only had two 700+ yard seasons, but he averaged 16.1 yards/catch and 19.7 yards per catch the last two seasons, with 11 and 7 TDs respectively, and is widely regarded as the fastest player in the entire draft. Ceedee Lamb from OU had 1158 yard and 11 TDs as a Sophomore and 1327 yards and 14 TDs as a Junior (obviously, the OU offense is much more pass-heavy than ND's).

Claypool just doesn't have the film like those guys have. Really good year last year (1037 yards, 15.7 yards/catch, 13 TDs), but prior to that, he was only a #2 or #3 receiver. His Combine performance elevated him from a mid-round guy to a Day 2 guy, but testing can only move a guy up so far.

And it doesn't really mean much that Alabama had two WRs more highly thought of than ND's #1 guy this year. If that was the case, then you could say the same for ND OL in 2017 versus any other school (Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc.) since Nelson and McGlinchey were the first two OL taken. ND generally has elite level OL, just like Alabama has elite level WRs. But it's not a knock to say Alabama had 2 WRs that were better than ND's #1 WR.

My home town 5-7 TCU team had 2 players taken in the first round.

ND had none.

Hard for me to stomach that TCU had a better wide receiver and a better cornerback than ND.

Time will tell...

But then couldn't you say that Louisville and USC have better OL than Clemson because each had 1st Round picks and Clemson had none at that position? Or Texas Tech had a better LB than Alabama and Georgia because a TT LB got drafted and no LB from Alabama or Georgia did. There are just so many variables, like who is eligible to get drafted, what teams' needs are, etc. You can't really draw conclusions because one school had a player get drafted in the 1st Round and another didn't - it's not really a reflection on the programs unless there is consistency (like Alabama WRs, Oklahoma QBs, ND OL, Ohio State DBs, etc.).

It was a serious question.

I'm a Claypool fan and had thought that his combine numbers might have caused one team to bite on him last night. The fact is that he was ND's #1 WR this past season and Alabama had their #1 and #2 WRs get drafted above him says a lot.

I thought that teams might discount Alabama's WRs production since they had a first round QB throwing to them while Claypool did not.

It was a serious question.

I'm a Claypool fan and had thought that his combine numbers might have caused one team to bite on him last night. The fact is that he was ND's #1 WR this past season and Alabama had their #1 and #2 WRs get drafted above him says a lot.

I thought that teams might discount Alabama's WRs production since they had a first round QB throwing to them while Claypool did not.

For sure, I know it was - just trying to explain why I thought he wasn't a first rounder. Just don't think he had enough film and he tested well, but I don't think he played as fast as he ran, if that makes sense. It also seems like some people think he is a tweener WR/TE, which may have hurt him, but I don't really buy that.