Tommy Rees New OC

tneun89

I'm in the minority here but think this can work out for us in recruiting and offensive success. Rees has been groomed for coaching and brings a connection on the players level that Kelly can not. I hope he is a mad dog out to make a legacy. Go get em' Tommy Gun, your time is now.

If he succeeds, the NFL will be calling for him in a few seasons.

Actually IF he succeeds, I foresee Kelly handpicking his successor in Rees and cementing his legacy. ND will of course jump at the notion and viola.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know what to make of this right now. Gut says, no no no no no....he ain't ready. But, good football pedigree, coaches son...apparently the players like him, and at least for the very immediate future, our veteran QB already knows & trusts him. Here's hoping for the best...........

Eh, I'm not crazy about the hire, BUT let's see what he can do. I believe more than one of us thought he'd make a pretty decent coach. At least he understands the culture and pressure of playing at Notre Dame VERY recently. He might just surprise us all. Worse case scenario: CBK makes the play calls when things get rough in game.

That's your worst case scenario?? We spent years finding a viable OC precisely to take those responsibilities from BK. Now your fallback plan is that he will have the final say over playcalling? Sweet teenage jesus....we are fu(ked....

That's your worst case scenario?? We spent years finding a viable OC precisely to take those responsibilities from BK. Now your fallback plan is that he will have the final say over playcalling? Sweet teenage jesus....we are fu(ked....

I took “worst case scenario” to mean “oh **** the season is over!” Not like fallback plan. In any case I agree with you completely that BK should not be calling plays ever again.

This is not the beat case scenario. It reflects BKs effort in recruiting, developing players, being innovative etc. This is underwhelming in so many ways. Of course we could all be fooled like the Titans beating Baltimore at their home, but I would bet with confidence this turns out badly and we will be set back 2 years minimum until the half hearted recruiting and learn by your mistakes ideology from Kelly will finally lead to his inglorious departure from ND. Followed by Tom E.

My hope is that Kelly's thinking is more along the lines of this is a new trend in college football, to groom a young innovator coordinator over your final few seasons to ultimately take over similar to riley, day and lake. I'm not saying rees is those guys but how big were those guys before they went to their respective schools. Kids these days relate more to younger buddy buddy coaches then they do old hard asses. Anyway I'm hoping thats where Kelly's head is and it's not a lazy yes man hire so that he can regain control of the offense.

I absolutely agree! This is phuking Notre Dame! They have billions in their endowments. We are a top program! We are historically the greatest program in CFB history! MAKE HIGH DOLLAR OFFERS TO THE BEST, PROVEN, AND BRIGHTEST! What do they do? They give the job to someone that has proven NOTHING as an OC on ANY LEVEL! Good God! smdh

My hope is that Kelly's thinking is more along the lines of this is a new trend in college football, to groom a young innovator coordinator over your final few seasons to ultimately take over similar to riley, day and lake. I'm not saying rees is those guys but how big were those guys before they went to their respective schools. Kids these days relate more to younger buddy buddy coaches then they do old hard asses. Anyway I'm hoping thats where Kelly's head is and it's not a lazy yes man hire so that he can regain control of the offense.

Lincoln Riley was an OC at East Carolina for 5 seasons before going to OU.

Ryan Day was an OC at Temple for a year, BC for 2, an NFL QB coach for 2 season before joining Ohio St.

Tom Rees was a QB coach at ND for 3 seasons. Now he's OC.

Those aren't the same trajectories unless Rees is dramatically brighter than both.

Can anyone name any other major school that has hired an OC with absolutely no experience at being an OC? This is an honest question. I can’t think of any perennial top team doing this in the past couple of decades. I could be totally wrong and maybe there is an example of a team doing this and being successful but I can’t think of 1. Hopefully Rees is successful but man it just seems ridiculous that school with the prestige and endowment of ND would settle for an OC with absolutely no experience being an OC.

Good question. lame kitten? Terry Brennan?

At the end of the day the OC was never going to be someone that ran "their" offense because of Kelly's personality. He tried handing the reigns over to Chip Long. There's a reason there was nearly a mutiny within the offensive staff. Chip Long was toxic for the program with many parents and his players too.

Tommy isn't the pushover many of you think he is. He knows when to pick his battles and is a very intelligent person. This isn't his offense however. He is going to recruit at a high level, he is going to focus on making Book a smarter player making adjustments at the LOS, and he will put a better emphasis on pushing the ball downfield and getting the run game back on track.

BTW, we will not lose to Wisconsin! We will be 11-1 next year.

Can anyone name any other major school that has hired an OC with absolutely no experience at being an OC? This is an honest question. I can’t think of any perennial top team doing this in the past couple of decades. I could be totally wrong and maybe there is an example of a team doing this and being successful but I can’t think of 1. Hopefully Rees is successful but man it just seems ridiculous that school with the prestige and endowment of ND would settle for an OC with absolutely no experience being an OC.

In 2015 Clemson hired Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott as Co-OC. Neither had been an OC before.

In 2014 FSU hired Lawrence Dawsey as a Co-OC. He had never been OC before.

Depends on what you mean by major. But, as noted elsewhere, Lane Kiffin/Steve Sarkisian made that leap. I will say that we appear to be in a trend of unconventional hires. Seems to have taken off with McVay.

For me, I could care less what press clippings a coach brings. Tenuta had all the buzz in the world and was a complete disaster. Meanwhile, I recall Heistand was roundly criticized and he turned out well.

All that will matter will be the product and no one knows at this point if Rees or anyone else would put the best one forward. We've just got to wait and see.

I think the thing that has most people worried was that we needed innovation in the offense and someone who could possibly challenge Kelly's ideas

Instead we got a guy who will run the same offense that BK ran for the past decade. And there's no way Rees will ever stand up to him because he owes him for giving him a job he's unqualified for.

At this point I’m done giving a rat’s a$& about something not in any way in my control. Enjoy the ride but keep my seatbelt on because it’s bound to be turbulent.

LOL.....all I could think of as I read your post was my last roller coaster ride. When I had my hands in the air screaming ....I thought I was going to die.

I was thinking more along the lines of hiring an OC who takes the team in a totally different direction and it ends up being a dumpster fire. Then you'd be stuck with somebody else's system and have to ride the season out. If Tommy Rees doesn't work out, at least the system in still in place and CBK can handle play calling duties while the team limps into the offseason. I'm not a huge fan of CBK play calls either. Waaaaaay too many screen passes and no commitment to the run. At least what I see.

I think the thing that has most people worried was that we needed innovation in the offense and someone who could possibly challenge Kelly's ideas

Instead we got a guy who will run the same offense that BK ran for the past decade. And there's no way Rees will ever stand up to him because he owes him for giving him a job he's unqualified for.

See my biggest concern isnt that so much as being so young and inexperienced. I dont know for sure but I would imagine theres a learning curve and a learned feel for calling plays and actually being an OC. Next year looking at the schedule we could make a serious run at the very least to a new years 6. But a brand new green oc could end up costing us a game or 2, could be the difference between 11-1 and 9-3

See my biggest concern isnt that so much as being so young and inexperienced. I dont know for sure but I would imagine theres a learning curve and a learned feel for calling plays and actually being an OC. Next year looking at the schedule we could make a serious run at the very least to a new years 6. But a brand new green oc could end up costing us a game or 2, could be the difference between 11-1 and 9-3

Exactly.

It’s one thing to draw up plays on paper and see them work in practice. It’s something altogether different knowing how to sequence plays in a game, set up a few plays later by doing some plays earlier, and adjusting to defenses during actual games.

Maybe Tom already has that down. Kind of hard to imagine, but I’m hoping he’s farther along in that regard than I think is likely.

Fingers crossed.

I was hoping for a vet. However, y’all are acting like a PHD needs this job, there are few geniuses in football. Maybe Leach, Saban, and Bellichick. It’s possible that Rees dedicates his life to this and develops a great scheme and calls a great game. I hated him as the QB, so it really pains me to defend him, but y’all just make this so easy with the catastrophizing all the time. Like rocket said, you have no control, don’t make this kind of stuff ruin your day.

I assure you that JImbo, Dabo, and Oregeron do not have an IQ better than most of you, yet they have won Championships. None of us know his work ethic and studying of film to formulate his offense. He could be a huge letdown or the next big thing. Time will tell, at the end of the day focus on you.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

Tired of the attitude that BK fu(ks sh!t up on purpose to sabotage your own personal dreams.

It is what it is...

It's not even worth it to argue. ND, Cold Seat Kelly, and Savvy Jack are happy to coast to 8-10 wins against soft schedules. We should apologize for dreaming of more.

I like Tommy and want him to succeed at ND and wherever else, but there's a lot of reason to be skeptical of this hire - chief among them that Kelly seems to be getting back to comfortable/buddy hiring mode again.

In my useless opinion, the best path forward if Rees is so good and Kelly doesn't have his hands in the offense would have been to bring in a premiere OC and promote Tommy to QB coach/Passing Game Coordinator and let him grow into the role. A good OC would push the offense forward and have viable offers in 1-3 years so Rees could be full OC at that point.