Assistant Coaching names

You cannot rush a well run national search process. Given that it took a month to determine that Tom(my) Rees was the number one best OC available and Lyght's departure was announced Jan 2nd, we still probably have another week or two before BK will make a DB coach hire. Ignore all of these other schools who have completed their hiring process, they do not know what they are doing.

Lol. Thank you. Just curious if there has been any new names or ideas floating around. I do understand ND likes to go through a big vetting process.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wikipedia has already anointed John McNulty our next TE coach(not always accurate.) I do like that McNulty coached Hunter Henry while previously with Rees at the Chargers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McNulty_(American_football)

McNulty might be more qualified to be an OC then a TE coach. Played safety as walk-on at Penn St. Then coached WR or QB or was OC for 17 of 19 years.

Only two seasons as TE coach.

McNulty might be more qualified to be an OC then a TE coach. Played safety as walk-on at Penn St. Then coached WR or QB or was OC for 17 of 19 years.

Kelly is definitely looking for someone to mentor Rees but not need to call plays. I don't think its any coincidence that Tommy and John were on the same staff at San Diego.

Modern TE is as much a WR as a blocker so I think his combo of experience is enough.

I like you would like to see more success he was on alot of fired staffs.

His glory years were on the Rutgers staff from 2004-2008 when Greg Schiano was surprising everyone at Rutgers

Kelly is definitely looking for someone to mentor Rees but not need to call plays. I don't think its any coincidence that Tommy and John were on the same staff at San Diego.

Modern TE is as much a WR as a blocker so I think his combo of experience is enough.

I like you would like to see more success he was on alot of fired staffs.

His glory years were on the Rutgers staff from 2004-2008 when Greg Schiano was surprising everyone at Rutgers

Question is: Why didn't Schiano scoop him right up now that he has a second gig at Rutgers? Makes you think!!

According to Weekday Sports beat ND is not necessarily looking for just a TE coach. Apparently they want a coach that has play calling experience. They are also exploring the idea of having the new coach working with Quinn and he would be the TE/T coach and Quinn would be the C/G coach.

It sounds like Kelly wants a staff that checks their egos at the door, works very well together, and doesn't necessarily have perfectly defined roles. (Much like the LSU offensive staff this year)

According to Weekday Sports beat ND is not necessarily looking for just a TE coach. Apparently they want a coach that has play calling experience. They are also exploring the idea of having the new coach working with Quinn and he would be the TE/T coach and Quinn would be the C/G coach.

It sounds like Kelly wants a staff that checks their egos at the door, works very well together, and doesn't necessarily have perfectly defined roles. (Much like the LSU offensive staff this year)

thank you for the addition Domers this guy talks about line play alot in his interviews breaking up the line makes sense.

If I remember correctly, didn't Kelly say that Quinn was the most qualified o-line coach he could find? If so, why he would take coaching tackles away from Quinn if he's so qualified? Especially if McNulty takes over coaching tackles, I don't believe McNulty has ever coached o-line before. Does this make sense?

If I remember correctly, didn't Kelly say that Quinn was the most qualified o-line coach he could find? If so, why he would take coaching tackles away from Quinn if he's so qualified? Especially if McNulty takes over coaching tackles, I don't believe McNulty has ever coached o-line before. Does this make sense?

Its the 10th coach. Why is it fair for the OL coach to have 15 players in a room, when the TE coach has 5 or 6?

Smaller class sizes better retention. Each staff divides labor differently.

Its the 10th coach. Why is it fair for the OL coach to have 15 players in a room, when the TE coach has 5 or 6?

Smaller class sizes better retention. Each staff divides labor differently.

But don't you want your offensive tackles being coached by the best line coach in the country? Instead of somebody who has never coached o-line before?

But don't you want your offensive tackles being coached by the best line coach in the country? Instead of somebody who has never coached o-line before?

Zone Blocking.. Tackles Combo with Tight Ends on outside zone/stretch

Gaurd-Center-Gaurd Combo on inside zone

[ame]

[/ame]

Again the OC OVERSEES an offensive staff so he knows enough about tackles.

I think Jeff Quinn was the WRONG GUY for pin and pull( Chip Long-new age scheme)

I think Jeff Quinn is the RIGHT guy for what we saw in the BOWL GAME

Zone Blocking.. Tackles Combo with Tight Ends on outside zone/stretch

Gaurd-Center-Gaurd Combo on inside zone

Again the OC OVERSEES an offensive staff so he knows enough about tackles.

I think Jeff Quinn was the WRONG GUY for pin and pull( Chip Long-new age scheme)

I think Jeff Quinn is the RIGHT guy for what we saw in the BOWL GAME

Using your logic, then Tommy Rees would be a good coach for the o line since he's offensive coordinator. I'm willing to bet that there is a lot of technique refinement that a first time o line coach may not be able to coach well.

Brian Kelly said when naming him as OL coach that Quinn was exactly what he needed for the ND football program. If Kelly is now taking offensive tackles away from Quinn, is that confirmation that Quinn was not the best choice for o-line coach? I was actually hoping that Quinn would be named tight end coach and ND would get a new o-line coach.

Pin and pull is not a difficult concept And I would hope that most college o-line coaches can teach it. We ran a version of that concept 30 years ago when I was in college. It's pretty basic o-line principles. Down block towards the pulling OL and have the pulling OL go outside to block. It helps the pinning OL since he has an angle instead of blocking head up. We ran it for toss sweeps to the outside. It's in style now since it helps avoid having linemen illegally downfield during RPOs.

Using your logic, then Tommy Rees would be a good coach for the o line since he's offensive coordinator. I'm willing to bet that there is a lot of technique refinement that a first time o line coach may not be able to coach well.

Brian Kelly said when naming him as OL coach that Quinn was exactly what he needed for the ND football program. If Kelly is now taking offensive tackles away from Quinn, is that confirmation that Quinn was not the best choice for o-line coach? I was actually hoping that Quinn would be named tight end coach and ND would get a new o-line coach.

Pin and pull is not a difficult concept And I would hope that most college o-line coaches can teach it. We ran a version of that concept 30 years ago when I was in college. It's pretty basic o-line principles. Down block towards the pulling OL and have the pulling OL go outside to block. It helps the pinning OL since he has an angle instead of blocking head up. We ran it for toss sweeps to the outside. It's in style now since it helps avoid having linemen illegally downfield during RPOs.

I don't know how it will work out. I don't remember Kelly using pin and pull that much at Cincy, who knows maybe he did.

I'm no expert. I will tell you my opinion our pass blocking rated highly, our run blocking keeps going down, to say Tommy has as much experience as an O-line coach with tackles as McNulty does in 20 years of coaching is a stretch, expecially given how many times he's been a coordinator, but if you want to be right, I have no problem allowing that.

If I can not get a complete offensive line coaching change I would take the two coach model. You don't realize I wanted that too.

I don't decide how Brian Kelly choices his staff. I'm just finding as much free info on candidates as I can. This won't be a staff with an alpha leader so I don't think titles matter as much as it does with some staffs.

Chip Long seemed to be the alpha type so Kelly's making the offensive staff more of a think tank now. We'll see how it works.

It looks like we have the names according to the Podcast

John McNulty on Offense

Christian Parker on Defense

Remains to be seen whether they would split the Offensive Line. Between Quinn and McNulty

Expect Parker to be the CB's Coach. But in Reality he's the Assistant DB Coach as the new guy given that Terry Joseph is the defensive pass game Coordinator.

The media types seem sure on McNulty and not getting much if anything new on the CB coach search.

My fan type side wanted a bigger name, on offense, but knew if Rees was Chosen you'd get a veteran Mentor type. Recruiting is sticky because John did coach at Rutgers and in the NFL so nobody really knows if he can do it.

In other words, this result doesn't surprise me much.

Again nothing official.

OTs will not be taken away from Quinn.

I am on the hire Parker bandwagon.

Previously I had posed in this tread: Keep your eye on Christian Parker. Have heard he is an up and comer and good recruiter and could be Lyght's replacement. I also posted his bio in this thread-- impressive!!

Think he will also be a great recruiter.

Robert Steeples high school football coach of Jordan Johnson

Kelly offered Mickens over Parker. Not sure what that means for Parker, but it looks like Mickens is the guy if he wants it. Steeples is next in line for an interview if Mickens doesn’t accept. He might want more than just CB coach - that’s really the only possible hold up. Plus, if Fickell takes the MSU job, Mickens could follow and be promoted to DC.