Tom Rees Interviews for Oregon OC Position

tneun89

Well Northwestern and Oregon are two power 5 schools that have interviewed him for OC positions. Fitzgerald is no idiot either.

Did they hire him? No, they obviously believe he is not the best candidate. If Northwestern the juggernaut thinks they can do better than I bet ND can do much better.

Lots of great coordinators, college and pro, were never top-flight atheles in college. Tell me one 5-star who went on to a career as an OC? Most of the great OC's just love the game and have the mind to be creative play-callers.

How many 5-star offensive players are there? 17 per year? How many go into coaching?

Anyways, does anyone know if Eric Bieniemy was a five star recruit. He is currently the Chiefs OC.

Given that he was a consensus All-American and was third for the Heisman as a RB at Colorado, he probably qualifies as a "top-flight" college athlete.

Edited by jbrown_9999

Grahm Harrell

How many 5-star offensive players are there? 17 per year? How many go into coaching?

Anyways, does anyone know if Eric Bieniemy was a five star recruit. He is currently the Chiefs OC.

Given that he was a consensus All-American and was third for the Heisman as a RB at Colorado, he probably qualifies as a "top-flight" college athlete.

We can always point to a few examples, but Jersey Irish's point still stand, MOST coaches were not standout players, especially the top tier coaches. Guys like Major Applewhite, Graham Harrell, and Eric Bieniemy are the exceptions to the rule

"Those who can't 'do,' teach"

Moorhead was the best option, Monken was the second. Rees was the fallback. So it better be that they couldn't get Moorhead or Monken and not that they didn't try, because if Clemson holds ND to 3 in November it is going to be a bad time for everybody involved.

Yeah, I can live with this if they swung and missed on those two. However, if they had the chance to pull the trigger and didn’t, I’ll be furious. I’m not really happy at all right now with this decision.

Yeah, I can live with this if they swung and missed on those two. However, if they had the chance to pull the trigger and didn’t, I’ll be furious. I’m not really happy at all right now with this decision.

Not defending the decision but the move makes sense. Hiring Rees means that Kelly has a guy that is not only familiar with the offense on paper, but actually ran it as a QB. There may not be a guy more capable of running this offense than Rees (and let's be real, Kelly isn't going to let some guy install a whole new system....just ain't gonna happen).

In addition, one of the things that was stated more times than I can count during his playing days was that he was born and raised to be a coach.

So, ND gets a guy with intimate knowledge of the offense, who is well liked by players and recruits, was damned near destined to be a coach, and knows exactly what he is getting in Kelly and ND.

...and he is young enough that he probably understands the snapbooks and facegrams that those young whipper snappers are twittering these days.

This is exactly where I’m at. If Kelly tried and failed to get one of the more proven big named guys and they didn’t want to come and had Rees as the 3rd choice then I guess that’s fine.

Not defending the decision but the move makes sense. Hiring Rees means that Kelly has a guy that is not only familiar with the offense on paper, but actually ran it as a QB. There may not be a guy more capable of running this offense than Rees (and let's be real, Kelly isn't going to let some guy install a whole new system....just ain't gonna happen).

In addition, one of the things that was stated more times than I can count during his playing days was that he was born and raised to be a coach.

So, ND gets a guy with intimate knowledge of the offense, who is well liked by players and recruits, was damned near destined to be a coach, and knows exactly what he is getting in Kelly and ND.

...and he is young enough that he probably understands the snapbooks and facegrams that those young whipper snappers are twittering these days.

He’s got all that, plus a 3rd year starter at QB, 5 OL starters back and skill at TE, WR and RB.

Elite offense average 40. That’s his goal. Plus at least 30 when Clemson comes calling.

If he manages that, I’ll say Kelly nailed it.

That's a move that a team like Ball State makes. ND doesn't need to be hiring a guy who graduated 5 years ago to run an offense for a high profile college football team.

That's a move that a team like Ball State makes. ND doesn't need to be hiring a guy who graduated 5 years ago to run an offense for a high profile college football team.

Agree, kelly talks about wanting to be elite and that he believes this team can get to another level but then he continues to handcuff them with coaches like Quinn and Rees. And look rees might turn out to be a terrific hire but these hires dont tell me kelly believes nd can be elite. Ohio state, Clemson, bama, lsu and georgia arent hiring these guys.

Agree, kelly talks about wanting to be elite and that he believes this team can get to another level but then he continues to handcuff them with coaches like Quinn and Rees. And look rees might turn out to be a terrific hire but these hires dont tell me kelly believes nd can be elite. Ohio state, Clemson, bama, lsu and georgia arent hiring these guys.

I get that to an extent, especially when also considering the Quinn hire after HH left. But BK also brought in Elko and Lea from Wake Forest, Chip Long and Del Alexander, Terry Joseph, and Lance Taylor. Those are some major hires - Lea, Joseph, and Taylor especially. I have no idea whether Rees will end up being a great hire, but I'm not writing him off either.

I get that to an extent, especially when also considering the Quinn hire after HH left. But BK also brought in Elko and Lea from Wake Forest, Chip Long and Del Alexander, Terry Joseph, and Lance Taylor. Those are some major hires - Lea, Joseph, and Taylor especially. I have no idea whether Rees will end up being a great hire, but I'm not writing him off either.

Agree and dont get me wrong I'm not writing him off. I just have concerns based on the history of kelly hiring guys from his circle vs guys outside his circle. All those hires you listed I'm pretty sure were all outside hires, and they've been the best hires of his tenure.